Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Secret Car Compartment Law

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Secret Car Compartment Law

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Rockmastermike
    Participant

so… with the new amendment to the law, all the drug dealers this bill was targeting have to do is keep a gun in the compartment and it won’t count?

uh… does anyone else see the logical flaw here?

Pablo
    Participant

No, it’s logical. Only law abiding citizens keep guns in their car’s secret compartment.

misskitty
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:
    so… with the new amendment to the law, all the drug dealers this bill was targeting have to do is keep a gun in the compartment and it won’t count?

uh… does anyone else see the logical flaw here?

No, I would guess that the compartment law would be written to be an added charge and fine. I actually think that if a cop found a random compartment on a car it could be dismissed in court of course at your cost. However, if a cop pulls someone over who is in possession of drugs and has hidden compartments it will be a charge that could place the person over a tip line. If whatever the person has was not quite enough to tip a small misdemeanor the compartment would take it over that. Then in court, I bet they would make that a bargaining chip. So lots of money if you do help and your life if you do not.
    That’s just my guess

Rockmastermike
    Participant

misskitty said:
    No, I would guess that the compartment law would be written to be an added charge and fine. I actually think that if a cop found a random compartment on a car it could be dismissed in court of course at your cost. However, if a cop pulls someone over who is in possession of drugs and has hidden compartments it will be a charge that could place the person over a tip line. If whatever the person has was not quite enough to tip a small misdemeanor the compartment would take it over that. Then in court, I bet they would make that a bargaining chip. So lots of money if you do help and your life if you do not.
    That’s just my guess

I dunno. it makes little sense to me. They article said that johnny law was complaining that they couldn’t bust people with hidden compartments unless they actually found drugs in them. So they wanted a law making the compartments themselves illegal. Now the NRA demands that if there’s a gun in the compartment, but no drugs it should be legal, thus providing a handy loophole.

Its looking more and more like some kind of monty python skit.

gramarye
    Participant

cheap said:
    law enforcement is worried about theIr own job security.

the more things they make illegal,the more secure their jobs are.

law enforcement is a business,like the US Govt.

Neither law enforcement nor the U.S. government is a business.

There are definitely private prison companies, however, that do push for harsher sentences for common offenses, because that is how demand for their services rises. Remember, even low-crime communities generally like to have solid police protection, and the public’s willingness to fund police protection is seldom influenced by the amount of crimes on the books. It’s more influenced by the amount of criminals in the streets. Moreover, when it *is* influenced by the amount of crimes on the books, it’s often influenced negatively, i.e., people take it out on the police when they feel that the law is coming down too harshly on people who don’t deserve it. Yes, you can say that the better response is to take it out on lawmakers, not law enforcement, but that’s a hard sell when you’re at an off-year local election in May and you don’t have a lawmaker’s name on the ballot in front of you to vote out.

Oak
    Participant

From the Buckeye Firearms Association:
    http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/8296
    “Senate Bill 305, introduced to combat hidden compartments in vehicles used to transport illegal drugs, is not a “gun bill.” However, as with any law, SB305 could have unintended consequences for gun owners who use safes and compartments to secure their firearms in their vehicles. As a pro-gun group, we view our narrow mission as protecting firearm rights.

When we made Governor John Kasich’s office aware of our concerns, his staff reached out to us to help change the bill to protect firearm rights. Substitute SB305, scheduled and adopted by the Judiciary committee today, reflects many of the changes we requested. These changes specifically exempt containers that are manufactured and/or advertised to be used to secure valuables, electronics or firearms in vehicles. Simultaneously, the bill was also re-focused to require the state to prove that hidden compartments in vehicles are used with the intent to transport controlled substances.

We are pleased to be working with Governor Kasich’s team on areas where we agree, and Substitute SB305 is a good example. What originally could have been an unintended threat to gun owners has been modified to provide explicit protection to persons doing nothing more than securing their firearms in their vehicles. As a single issue group, Buckeye Firearms Association will not take a further position, for or against, Substitute SB305.”

There are car safes that are made to fit under the front seat so that you can secure your firearm in it when you’re away from the vehicle. These aren’t “hidden” per se and are marketed specifically for this purpose. For people like me, who are CCW permit holders, we have to have somewhere to store our firearms when we go to places like Betty’s because Liz (and I do love her) thinks I’m going to shoot the place up.

The “hidden compartment” that the bill is referring to are compartments that people create in their tail lights and side panels that are not easily accessible and that a reasonable person would conclude was created to hide contraband.

Here is a link to the type of hidden compartments the law is trying to describe: http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/law-enforcement-bulletin/October-2010/investigating-and-prosecuting-hidden-compartment-cases

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:
    I dunno. it makes little sense to me. They article said that johnny law was complaining that they couldn’t bust people with hidden compartments unless they actually found drugs in them. So they wanted a law making the compartments themselves illegal. Now the NRA demands that if there’s a gun in the compartment, but no drugs it should be legal, thus providing a handy loophole.

Its looking more and more like some kind of monty python skit.

Yes, this exception pretty much makes the law pointless, unless you want to require permits for the hidden compartments.

As for buying a car and learning later on that it has a compartment, looks like a dismissal of charges to me. I had to do that in a case where 2 guys were busted for drunk driving and a search of the car found some bags of cocaine concealed in it. The defendants claimed they had just purchased the car and that the drugs did not belong to them. I was unable to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the drugs belonged to them.

joev
    Participant

Can anyone think of a reasonable circumstance that makes a having a hidden car compartment necessary?

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

joev said:
    Can anyone think of a reasonable circumstance that makes a having a hidden car compartment necessary?

You want to go to Surly Girl after work and you do not want to take your laptop and iPod in with you. And you are afraid that leaving them out of sight in the trunk may not be protection enough.

Cookie

joev said:

Clown storage.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

joev said:

Maybe you just get the triple beam and measure out yo dope
    Mix one gram of soda every seven grams of coke
    An shake it up until it bubble up an get harder
    Then sit the tube in some ready made cold water
    Twist the bitch like a knot while it’s still hot
    And watch that shit while it can rise to the fuckin top
    Now ya cocaine powda is crack.

And you need a place to put it?

joev
    Participant

hugh59 said:
    You want to go to Surly Girl after work and you do not want to take your laptop and iPod in with you. And you are afraid that leaving them out of sight in the trunk may not be protection enough.

Or if you’re Inspector Gadget!

jimbach
    Participant

joev said:

“Josh, in a free society you don’t need a good reason to make something legal, you need a good reason to make it illegal.” – Donna Moss (The West Wing)

joev
    Participant

Snarf said:
    Maybe you just get the triple beam and measure out yo dope
    Mix one gram of soda every seven grams of coke
    An shake it up until it bubble up an get harder
    Then sit the tube in some ready made cold water
    Twist the bitch like a knot while it’s still hot
    And watch that shit while it can rise to the fuckin top
    Now ya cocaine powda is crack.

And you need a place to put it?

But not in your trunk. Gotcha!

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

joev said:
    But not in your trunk. Gotcha!

Well my glove compartment is locked so is the trunk and the back
    And I know my rights so you gon’ need a warrant for that

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: