Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Secret Car Compartment Law

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Secret Car Compartment Law

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

pez
    Participant

From The Dispatch

Secret compartments could get drivers busted

Quote:

A hidden compartment in your vehicle, with or without drugs, could mean big trouble as Ohio officials get serious about slowing down drug-smuggling.

A proposed state law, advocated by Gov. John Kasich, would make it a fourth-degree felony to own a vehicle equipped with secret compartments. A conviction would mean up to 18 months in jail and a potential $5,000 fine.

-snip-

Quote:
    Part of the new drug-interdiction strategy is legislation to be introduced by Sen. Jim Hughes, R-Columbus, that would make it a fourth-degree felony to own a vehicle that has special hidden compartments — whether or not they are found to hold drugs. Currently, there is no state law prohibiting secret compartments, frequently used for drug smuggling.

more

This is a felony, meaning you’ll likely never get a decent job unless you start your own business.

Twixlen
    Participant

This is perhaps one of the more asinine & wrong-headed pieces of legislation (outside of the uterus wars) to come about lately.

I can’t find the actual written legislation online anywhere, to get the real language of it, but from what the paper has, it will be a felony to have a subwoofer added to your vehicle.

cheap

one big problem that these morons must know.

how are they going to prove who installed the hidden compartment in the vehicle,and when it was installed?

cbus11

Mixed feelings on this. A friend of mine had some issues with tenants in the Hilltop. They were selling drugs out of their apartment. One of the things they were doing was modifying a truck to run drugs (obviously for resale). From what I understand that is becoming fairly common. I would not have a problem if once caught for drugs there were additional penalties for such attempts at concealment. From what I understand it is not that easy to get a drug conviction to carry much weight in the area. I am assuming these compartments automagically put one at dealer status.

Buster Bluth
    Participant

So dumb, and I actually like most of what Kasich is doing.

Why can’t they just say that if you have drugs in your “secret compartment,” you get a much greater penalty?

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Buster Bluth said:
    So dumb, and I actually like most of what Kasich is doing.

Why can’t they just say that if you have drugs in your “secret compartment,” you get a much greater penalty?

Or we could just leave well enough alone, because drug laws in this country are severe enough already.

Buster Bluth
    Participant

I think that’s a fine choice too. I’m 100% for the legalization of marijuana.

cheap

law enforcement is worried about theIr own job security.

the more things they make illegal,the more secure their jobs are.

law enforcement is a business,like the US Govt.

News
    Participant

Car’s secret compartment OK, if it’s for a gun
    By David Eggert
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Wednesday April 18, 2012 9:32 AM

Gun-rights groups have successfully pushed for changes to a proposed law that would make it a crime to have a secret compartment in your vehicle. The National Rifle Association and Buckeye Firearms Association said yesterday that a new version of the legislation — advocated by Gov. John Kasich to slow down drug smuggling — no longer could cause potential problems for gun owners.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/04/18/cars-secret-compartment-ok-if-its-for-a-gun.html

GCrites80s
    Participant

If it was the ’70s and ’80s the conversion van lobby would have squashed this flat.

Schoolboy
    Participant

So I buy a used car. Have never taken or especially sold an illegal drug in my life.

Yet on a random search, a cop finds a secret compartment in my vehicle that I never knew about.

Now I’m a felon, life in shambles.

Great idea.

Just when Kasich actually gained a few points with me for wanting to increase the gas/oil taxes… he goes back to where I knew he belonged.

Buster Bluth
    Participant

Kasich’s new law…and it’s not even a law.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Schoolboy said:
    Have never taken or especially sold an illegal drug in my life.

pshh!

misskitty
    Participant

It’s bullshit is what it is.

I don’t understand why they can’t just be happy with Their “criminal indicators” on stops. I mean their record of accomplishment for finding heavy hulls is good even when welded into steel… So good at that…….[/url]

I would hope it’s a arguable offence in court destroying someone’s life is not a reasonable objective for this shit.

Even the unannounced “operation shield” is a little bit shady granted they have pulled a lot of idiots off the street for a day it seems so wrong to randomly snag people like that.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Buster Bluth said:
    Kasich’s new law…and it’s not even a law.

Fixed. The OP set the subject line over a month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: