Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Kasich supports Civil Unions and Portman, or doesn't, or maybe, eh who knows...

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Kasich supports Civil Unions and Portman, or doesn't, or maybe, eh who knows…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

myliftkk
    Participant

File this under: He was against it, before he was for it, before he was against it again.

Quote:
    The comments came in response to the reversal on same sex marriage by fellow Republican U.S. Sen. Rob Portman earlier this week after revealing his son Will, 21, was gay. Kasich was asked if he could imagine a situation that might cause him to change his position.

“I really can’t see one, I mean, I talked to Rob and encouraged him,” Kasich said. “If people want to have civil unions and have some way to transfer their resources, I’m for that. I don’t support gay marriage. ”

“I’ve got friends that are gay and I’ve told them ‘Look, (same sex marriage) is just not something I agree with’ and I’m not doing it out of a sense of anger or judgment, it’s just my opinion on this issue. ”

“I just think marriage is between a man and a woman, but if you want to have a civil union that’s fine with me,” Kasich said.

Read more: http://www.kypost.com/dpps/news/state/ohio-gov-john-kasich-supports-rob-portman-and-civil-unions-but-wont-support-same-sex-marriage_8339734#ixzz2ODtA8bl9

Quote:
    Ohio Gov. John Kasich (R) endorsed civil unions for same-sex couples in an interview published Thursday, prompting his office to quickly clarify that in fact he does still oppose civil unions, BuzzFeed reported.

The governor had used the term civil union “loosely,” Kasich spokesperson Rob Nichols explained in a statement.

“The governor’s position is unchanged. He opposes gay marriage and opposes changing Ohio’s Constitution to allow for civil unions,” said Nichols. “He’s opposed to discrimination against any Ohioan and, while he may have used the term ‘civil union’ loosely in this instance, he recognizes the existing rights of Ohioans to enter into private contracts to manage their personal property and health care issues.”

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/ohio-guv-accidentally-endorses-civil-unions-then-reverses?ref=fpb

joev
    Participant

This guy can’t even keep himself in line anymore.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Nichols is good, that’s like the verbal equivalent of a drift car.

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

joev said:
    This guy can’t even keep himself in line anymore.

Admittedly the Governor’s in a tough spot. He’s got to pay lip-service to the idea of equality under the law without actually promising anything that would deliver it.

InnerCore
    Participant

“I’ve got friends that are gay and I’ve told them ‘Look, (same sex marriage) is just not something I agree with’ and I’m not doing it out of a sense of anger or judgment, it’s just my opinion on this issue. ”

This type of reasoning always baffles me. The issue isn’t wheter you agree with the same sex marriage or not. It’s a matter of whether you feel like you have the right to deny others that right. It’s like they don’t see the distinction. I don’t agree with worshiping the devil. But who am I to try and stop someone else from doing it.

Also I find using words “loosely” hilarious and I think I might adopt that terminology. “Oppps babe, did I say I was going bowling friday night? I used that term loosely, I actually meant I was going to the strip club.”

Kasich’s Libertarianism is in conflict with his Christianity. Not all Christians, but certainly a large portion, cannot accept people making their own decisions and living with whatever circumstances they think will come of such actions. Their faith compels them to challenge what is viewed as immoral or unnatural. Hence the divide w/gay marriage, civil unions, access to abortion services, etc.

Seeing this now with the Boy Scouts of America. I think those at the administrative top see the writing on the wall (corporate sponsorship, community support such as United Way and so on dropping; reduction in members, etc. at the same time the numbers in support of gay marriage are going up, particularly with the younger crowd [their future members]. They were poised to rescind their policy of banning gay family participation. But such a backlash from the current members, who view it a sin and a true degenerative force on our society, so now there are listening sessions and so on going on. Will be interesting to see what they choose to do, will have consequences no matter what.

Personally, I wish we were all beyond this, and I do believe the injustice of treating gay people as second class citizens will be corrected, but the wave of intolerance is still very much out there.

rus
    rus
    Participant

TalkingHeadsFan said:
    Kasich’s Libertarianism is in conflict with his Christianity. Not all Christians, but certainly a large portion, cannot accept people making their own decisions and living with whatever circumstances they think will come of such actions.

Let’s not limit that to Christians.

Some people, of any or no faith and of any political persuasion, can not accept people making their own decisions and living with whatever circumstances they think will come of such actions.

The terminology and reasoning may change based on the issue or the speaker but the end result is the same: an attempt to force others to act as they would wish them to.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: