Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Kasich parrots ridiculous 3C rail "facts"

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Kasich parrots ridiculous 3C rail “facts”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 229 total)
  • Author

Mister MooCow
    Participant

From the Dispatch

Quote:

Kasich stepped up his opposition at a political forum Wednesday that included local transit agencies and engineers.

“It’s not going to happen when I become governor, OK?” Kasich said. “If you want that train, I hope you can get over that and vote for me anyway, but you’re not going to get that train.”

Kasich said that the trains would have an average speed of 39 mph and that the state can’t afford it.

His speed calculation, parsed from a preliminary Amtrak study last year showing a 61/2-hour travel time from Cleveland to Cincinnati, can be misleading without context.

For example, it counts dwell time at eight stations to allow passengers to board and ignores faster trips on shorter, intermediate routes. Actual trip times and travel schedules will be determined by a final engineering analysis due next year.

Thanks, John — you just got me interested in the gubernatorial election.

None of my kine ever worked at Lehman Brothers

johnwirtz
    Participant

Sounds like chucky.

As for who will ride the train, I took a stab at that in February:
    http://xingcolumbus.wordpress.com/2010/02/03/who-will-ride-the-train/

Paul
    Participant

He’s got my vote.

If I could vote in Ohio.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

i agree with him. the state can’t afford it.

I’m starting to be opposed to it after all of Northern Ohio made the 20 most miserable cities list, do we really want to be that linked up???

Can we just get a 2C railroad?

futureman
    Participant

Nitsud Regnifloh wrote >>

And yet we can afford 1.7 billion for the 70/71 split?

tree_sketcher
    Participant

Nitsud Regnifloh wrote >>

the state is going to invest in transportation projects one way or another; its a critical part of our economy. This is less about what Ohio can “afford” and more about building a multimodal system that best serves the needs of all citizens. The operating cost of this is a drop in the bucket for ODOT and the spinoff development and tax revenue created by this will more than make up for it.

I think the thing that people lose sight of in Ohio is that Highways and rail-based public transit really can serve two different development markets. We already have a great highway system, hence the plethora of suburban development that has gone on for the last 50 years. That is one development market. We have not invested in rail or other public transit that serve more dense development markets, and one result is an erosion of our center cities. The lack of strong, vibrant, fun, high quality of life cities is one reason why Ohio has so much out-migration (mostly to more vibrant urban places like CA, Chicago, DC, NY, NC, etc.). I think if we settle for the status quo, we’re just going to continue this self-imposed stunting of our growth.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Paul wrote >>
    He’s got my vote.
    If I could vote in Ohio.

You can probably vote for someone who can kill the funding for the Pacific Northwest Corridor though, right? So not all is lost.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I wonder if Kasich is planning on trying to kill the Cincinnati Streetcar project as well? If elected he would probably have time to pull the plug before construction is completed.

Cincinnati Streetcar News

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Heh. It’s really easy for him to sit back and take potshots at a project that is a small fraction of a transportation budget that is itself a fraction of the total budget, but with purely symbolic meaning as an “expensive project” when the only suggestion he’s actually made thus far is to get rid of the income tax to balance the budget.

One wonders what planet he learned math or economics on. Oh wait, probably at Lehman Brothers… If that’s how they think, I guess it’s no wonder they went belly up and started knocking the dominoes that took down the economy back in ’08.

He’s since stopped saying that bullsh*t, but has not replaced it with any actual ideas.

Of course, old Ted hasn’t really put forth any ideas either. In fact, let me just get this off my chest…

HEY STRICKLAND: STFU! WE’RE NOT STUPID. STOP THE IDIOTIC ADVERTISING. WE UNDERSTAND KASICH WORKED FOR LEHMAN BROTHERS AND WE GET THAT THEY PLAYED A TANGENTIAL ROLL IN UNDERMINING THE ENTIRE WORLD ECONOMY, BUT THAT DOESN’T ABSOLVE YOU OF A RESPONSIBILITY FOR PRESENTING SOME REAL IDEAS ABOUT HOW TO FIX THE DAMNED STATE BUDGET.

HEY KASICH: STFU! AND STOP THE IDIOTIC ADVERTISING. WE’RE NOT STUPID ENOUGH TO BELIEVE THAT STRICKLAND OR ANY OTHER STATE OFFICIAL HAS ANY REAL CONTROL OVER JOB LOSSES CAUSED BY THE FRIGGIN’ COLLAPSE OF THE ENTIRE ECONOMY BROUGHT ABOUT AT LEAST IN SMALL PART BY YOUR FORMER EMPLOYER, SO STOP PRETENDING WE’LL BELIEVE THAT CRAP AND PRESENT SOME REAL IDEAS ABOUT HOW TO FIX THE DAMNED STATE BUDGET.

If these two clowns continue playing these games I’m going to write in MYSELF for governor, F*CK this noise.

Rockmastermike wrote >>
    Heh. It’s really easy for him to sit back and take potshots

This is what bugs me. Its like his secret plan to both eliminate the Ohio Income Tax and balance the budget.

Kind of like Josh’s secret plan to fight inflation on the West Wing.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Paul wrote >>
    He’s got my vote.
    If I could vote in Ohio.

Enjoy your wonderful system of public transportation up there in Vancouver? I know I did when I visited there and it was a major reason I wish to go back to the city.

In short, I’m not going to mince words, you really sound like a total hypocrite voicing that opinion in a thread about a city that isn’t even in your own country when your city has blossomed in no small part because of it’s transportation infrastructure.

bman
    Participant

Rockmastermike wrote >>
    Heh. It’s really easy for him to sit back and take potshots at a project that is a small fraction of a transportation budget that is itself a fraction of the total budget, but with purely symbolic meaning as an “expensive project” when the only suggestion he’s actually made thus far is to get rid of the income tax to balance the budget.
    One wonders what planet he learned math or economics on. Oh wait, probably at Lehman Brothers… If that’s how they think, I guess it’s no wonder they went belly up and started knocking the dominoes that took down the economy back in ’08.
    He’s since stopped saying that bullsh*t, but has not replaced it with any actual ideas.
    Of course, old Ted hasn’t really put forth any ideas either. In fact, let me just get this off my chest…
    HEY STRICKLAND: STFU! WE’RE NOT STUPID. STOP THE IDIOTIC ADVERTISING. WE UNDERSTAND KASICH WORKED FOR LEHMAN BROTHERS AND WE GET THAT THEY PLAYED A TANGENTIAL ROLL IN UNDERMINING THE ENTIRE WORLD ECONOMY, BUT THAT DOESN’T ABSOLVE YOU OF A RESPONSIBILITY FOR PRESENTING SOME REAL IDEAS ABOUT HOW TO FIX THE DAMNED STATE BUDGET.
    HEY KASICH: STFU! AND STOP THE IDIOTIC ADVERTISING. WE’RE NOT STUPID ENOUGH TO BELIEVE THAT STRICKLAND OR ANY OTHER STATE OFFICIAL HAS ANY REAL CONTROL OVER JOB LOSSES CAUSED BY THE FRIGGIN’ COLLAPSE OF THE ENTIRE ECONOMY BROUGHT ABOUT AT LEAST IN SMALL PART BY YOUR FORMER EMPLOYER, SO STOP PRETENDING WE’LL BELIEVE THAT CRAP AND PRESENT SOME REAL IDEAS ABOUT HOW TO FIX THE DAMNED STATE BUDGET.
    If these two clowns continue playing these games I’m going to write in MYSELF for governor, F*CK this noise.

I am writing in Rockmastermike.

cbuster

I was actually fairly amazed at the quality of that article – explaining the context of the 39 mph number? Pro-3C quotes from a Cabinet-level official? in the Dispatch???

of course then I realized that this was an AP article… well, at least the Dispatch ran it..

cbuster

I was actually fairly amazed at the quality of that article – explaining the context of the 39 mph number? Pro-3C quotes from a Cabinet-level official? in the Dispatch???

of course then I realized that this was an AP article… well, at least the Dispatch ran it..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 229 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: