Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

JobsOhio / Ohio Department of Development - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics JobsOhio / Ohio Department of Development – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 185 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I saw this mentioned in the 3C discussion but thought this might deserve it’s own spinoff:

Kasich wants nonprofit take over state’s economic-development work

ShareThis

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 18, 2010

BY JOE HALLETT AND MARK NIQUETTE

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

In the first substantive proposal of the governor’s race, Republican John Kasich said yesterday that he wants to replace the Ohio Department of Development with a private, nonprofit corporation.

Kasich would create JobsOhio and appoint a 12-member board of directors to oversee economic-development efforts, replacing half the state agency’s 400 jobs. The board would be made up of current and former chief executive officers, who would report to the governor. Members would come from different industries and areas of the state, Kasich said, and probably would be paid expenses only.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/08/18/copy/a-privatization-proposal.html?adsec=politics&sid=101

Yeah, Mr. K said two things he probably wants to take back: “We don’t want public employees,” and “all the way to dotting T’s and crossing I’s.”

HeySquare
    Participant

http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/08/18/copy/a-privatization-proposal.html?adsec=politics&sid=101 wrote >>
    Kasich said he would be chairman of the JobsOhio board, “but we don’t want a government entity. We don’t want the civil-service restrictions.”

Translation: I want to give jobs to all my cronies.

There is a reason the civil service was established, Mr. Kasich.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoils_system

berdawn

That anyone would call this “substantive” is almost as funny as it is pathetic.

chaptal
    Participant

Kasich wants only two people to work in government, him and his dead postal worker father.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

I don’t know much about ODOD, but I can tell you from experience that things do not turn out well when you take a sledgehammer to a problem that only requires a socket wrench.

Lakee911
    Participant

Well, he’s not going to get elected, so what is there to worry about? Right?

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

Surely he could NEVER have a good idea…surely. Right??

berdawn

Lakee911 wrote >>
    Well, he’s not going to get elected, so what is there to worry about? Right?

it’s early, but unless he comes out with something Rand Paul or Sharron Angle-y, my guess is he’ll do very well.

joev
    Participant

It’s grandstanding. If another entity would have been in the news in a negative light last week, he would have picked that one to “privatize.” Kasich’s obvious disgust for state workers makes him unfit to lead them. To be so derrogatory without knowing much about the work the department does is not a great way to lead.

Plus, he’s inconsistent. In the Dispatch, he’s quoted as saying, “We don’t want state workers.” In the Plain Dealer, he said a private non-profit would allow better pay than the state. So he wants to spend money on talent, as long as they’re not tained by being state workers? I don’t know any state workers who are in it for the money, but I know a lot who are in it because they know the work they do is helping their fellow Ohioans.

berdawn

Nitsud Regnifloh wrote >>

not yet, anyway.

thepiece
    Participant

This proposal seems like symbolic fluff to me. He wants to get his government bashing stripes. ODOD is relatively small (for a state agency) and also administers lots of federal programs (CDBG etc.). So, many of those positions are leveraging federal money, I’m not sure how cutting those jobs saves us money.
    (the same reason I don’t understand how him attacking the federally funded 3C actually saves us money)

Also, ODOD is economic and community development (with a large number of housing programs), something his proposal seems to just ignore.
    So, why would a group of CEO’s be better administering the agency than the governor’s economic advisors? Why would a non-profit board of CEO’s be better at administering community development programs?

Disclaimer: I worked for ODOD during the Taft administration for 2 years so I have a bias on this topic

Nitsud Regnifloh wrote >>

I donated time and money and shoe leather to the Strickland campaign. I have not been a happy constituent. I was seriously considering voting for Kasich when he became the presumptive nominee. Every time he opens his mouth though, he loses my vote and does so with regularity. It is not that I disagree – I don’t expect to agree fully with every politician I suppoprt – it is that everything he has said so far has been ill-thought-out, woefully incomplete and just the same cliched bad rhetoric is all too prevalent.

The John who earned my respect back all those years ago is most emphatically NOT the John I see now.

A.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

joev wrote >>
    It’s grandstanding. If another entity would have been in the news in a negative light last week, he would have picked that one to “privatize.” Kasich’s obvious disgust for state workers makes him unfit to lead them. To be so derrogatory without knowing much about the work the department does is not a great way to lead.
    Plus, he’s inconsistent. In the Dispatch, he’s quoted as saying, “We don’t want state workers.” In the Plain Dealer, he said a private non-profit would allow better pay than the state. So he wants to spend money on talent, as long as they’re not tained by being state workers? I don’t know any state workers who are in it for the money, but I know a lot who are in it because they know the work they do is helping their fellow Ohioans.

But didn’t you hear? The Buckeye Institute says state workers have gold plated compensation. Those greedy pensioners with their average annual $20,000 payout. I mean think of all the gold you could buy with that kind of money if you didn’t eat and lived on the street!

Mercurius
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 185 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: