Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Justice Scalia on OSU Law School

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Justice Scalia on OSU Law School

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

berdawn

StowCbusCleveland wrote >>

Before this line, he basically says that when he’s hiring he only looks at students from the best few schools because even if they aren’t better schools for preparing lawyers they are hardest to get into and therefore they represent the cream of the crop.

I read the whole thing as well and this was the part that twisted my panties. while most ivy league schools have at least some method of appearing diverse in terms of gender and/or race in admissions, the homogeneity of the students in terms of socio-economic background is kind of appalling. I’ll take it over hiring mostly from Liberty or Regent like the DOJ did.

kit444
    Participant

mitchellosu wrote >>
    Bottom line, and this is what really gets me upset, at the highest levels there is alot of elitism in the law. Scalia uses “You didn’t go to a T-14 school” as a public dig (even if it is in jest).

There’s definitely a reputational caste system in the law, with the assumption as Scalia stated it that everyone chooses the “best” law school into which they could get. Consequently, the logic follows from there that those schools have the best law students and produce the best attorneys. It’s a self-supporting argument and frankly there’s no way to qualitatively dispute it. The truth is not everyone applies to a Harvard or Columbia for financial or other reasons. And the law they teach is the same at every school.

kit444 wrote >>

mitchellosu wrote >>
    Bottom line, and this is what really gets me upset, at the highest levels there is alot of elitism in the law. Scalia uses “You didn’t go to a T-14 school” as a public dig (even if it is in jest).

There’s definitely a reputational caste system in the law, with the assumption as Scalia stated it that everyone chooses the “best” law school into which they could get. Consequently, the logic follows from there that those schools have the best law students and produce the best attorneys. It’s a self-supporting argument and frankly there’s no way to qualitatively dispute it. The truth is not everyone applies to a Harvard or Columbia for financial or other reasons. And the law they teach is the same at every school.

I think that’s the biggest argument against it. I (and I can speak for alot of people personally on this) don’t go to the highest ranked law school that I was accepted into. I went with a combination of who gave me the most money, who places graduates best in the city I want to live in, had the classes/profs I wanted the most, not to mention the role that localized reputation (where do you want to practice?) plays in the life of the everyday attorney.

Also, and yeah this is an entire other can of worms, I go to the school with Ohio’s highest bar passage rate and it isn’t the highest ranked Ohio school. Law students are much more savy and pragmatic than that theory gives them credit for.

Rankings really matter in only a few scenarios. Biglaw, teaching, and clerkships.

nexttuesday
    Participant

Leave it to Scalia to witness firsthand evidence to the contrary of what he wants to believe and then write it off as unimportant.

It is easier to hire a clerk from a top 10 school because you know they will probably be competent. If you dip (shudder) below that, you run the risk of hiring someone who really can’t write, and you’ll actually have to examine their work to determine that. Hire from Harvard, and you don’t have to actually evaluate their writing, you can trust it will be ok. They are lazy, that’s not surprising. They have more important shit to worry about, so I don’t blame them. If it’s really your goal to be a SC clerk, you wouldn’t go to OSU anyway.

JimL2 wrote >>
    This took a while because the janitor kept walking behind me and I had to look busy to impress him.

“Jesus christ, Tony.”

I really like it.

joev
    Participant

I’m sorry, but he’s right. Going to Ohio State for a law degree is like going to Ohio State for a journalism degree. Or like going to Ohio University for a football degree.

StowCbusCleveland
    Participant

joev wrote >>
    I’m sorry, but he’s right. Going to Ohio State for a law degree is like going to Ohio State for a journalism degree. Or like going to Ohio University for a football degree.

Isn’t OSU ranked around 30th? That seems pretty darn respectable, particularly given that it’s a public school and likely the cheapest good school by a mile if you’re from Ohio.

US News ranks OSU law school as the top in the state and 31st in the nation.

Ohio State’s school of Journalism is ranked number 1!

…by student enrollment ;)

widerights

I am a first year law student at Ohio State University, Moritz College of Law.

I posted my thoughts from Scalia’s visit on my blog, Wide Rights.

http://www.widerights.com/?p=120

Doug Z

Hey Scalia, thanks so much for the Bush presidency. You really know how to pull off a bloodless coup. Your Uncle Benito would be proud.

widerights wrote >>
    I am a first year law student at Ohio State University, Moritz College of Law.
    I posted my thoughts from Scalia’s visit on my blog, Wide Rights.
    http://www.widerights.com/?p=120

That was a really, really good piece. Thanks for posting the link.

A.

patient_zero
    Participant

widerights

But, I believe it is a disservice to our society to be bound tightly, as Scalia would recommend, to a document that in no way could foresee the progression of society.

I agree wholeheartedly. And he has his place in the highest court in the land.

Doug Z

The case for Scalia’s impeachment:

http://www.allbusiness.com/legal/1037713-1.html

He had conflicts of interest in Bush v Gore and should not have voted.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: