Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Justice Scalia on OSU Law School

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Justice Scalia on OSU Law School

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

StowCbusCleveland
    Participant

Apparently Supreme Court Justice Scalia isn’t big on OSU Law School. The money quote:

“I wouldn’t have hired Jeff Sutton,” Justice Scalia said. “For God’s sake, he went to Ohio State! And he’s one of the very best law clerks I ever had.”

I see a new marketing campaign for Moritz: “OSU Law, surprisingly not awful!”

http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/05/19/copy/capscalia.html?adsec=politics&sid=101

I just read this in the Dispatch. Scalia is fat slob. Who cares what he thinks.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

The entirety of the legislative, judicial, and executive branches, I would think.

gramarye
    Participant

Oh, snap.

JimL2 wrote >>
    The entirety of the legislative, judicial, and executive branches, I would think.

“The entirety of the legislative, judicial, and executive branches” was on pins and needles, unable to control the anticipation and suspense of waiting to find out what Scalia thinks of OSU law grads?

I would think…

L.I. to Buckeye
    Participant

I’m guessing this may have been tongue-in-cheek. Scalia is known for his sarcasm and off-beat sense of humor.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

mitchellosu wrote >>
    …suspense of waiting to find out what Scalia thinks of OSU law grads?

Oh, was that your question? You might want to be more specific next time. Or do they not teach basic communication at OSU? (blam!)

Okay, so, who cares what a Supreme Court justice thinks of OSU law grads? Brief list since it’s only 7:30am: Anyone who is thinking of going into constitutional law, runs a law firm that specializes in constitutional law, or is thinking of hiring a lawyer to represent their case to the Supreme Court–or for that matter, a case that might eventually make it to the Supreme Court (specially if they’re interested in winning). Anyone at the school who teaches constitutional law or pre-law, the dean of Moritz, the OSU board of regents, alumni donors, probably the city and state governments given how much money the school brings in, anyone who publishes a regular guide to choosing a law school. Jeff Sutton. You could probably widen this list to include “all current and future trial lawyers,” but to be fair I don’t think Kevin Kurgis is going to be too choked up.

Most of all, it sounds like you do. I appreciate the flippancy of saying “fuck that guy he’s fat,” but seriously. You can’t pretend to disregard the importance of a Supreme Court justice’s opinion about future happenings in the Supreme Court simply because he’s fat and likes cheetos*. You’re going to end up looking like someone who is either ignorant of the court’s importance, or trying way too hard to hide the tears.

* Note this opinion of his is not important; this is just trivia.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Where is Don King? Someone needs to book the Antonin Scalia/Tucker Max speaking tour.

Look at that puckerface.

JimL2 wrote >>

mitchellosu wrote >>
    …suspense of waiting to find out what Scalia thinks of OSU law grads?

I appreciate the flippancy of saying “fuck that guy he’s fat,” but seriously.

I also called him a slob.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

I know. That was the Cheetos part. :)

JackWells
    Blocked

but to be fair I don’t think Kevin Kurgis is going to be too choked up.

LOL, Kevin Kurgis. lol

StowCbusCleveland
    Participant

L.I. to Buckeye wrote >>
    I’m guessing this may have been tongue-in-cheek. Scalia is known for his sarcasm and off-beat sense of humor.

I considered this, that it may have been a joke that wasn’t as funny when written down. In the context of what he said before though, it seems it was probably said more than half-seriously. Before this line, he basically says that when he’s hiring he only looks at students from the best few schools because even if they aren’t better schools for preparing lawyers they are hardest to get into and therefore they represent the cream of the crop.

If anything, it may have been a friendly joke towards Sutton, but using the serious dig that he went to OSU. Oh well. It’s not a world changing revelation that the SCOTUS hires Harvard grads, and it’s not exactly breaking news that Scalia is an ass…

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

This took a while because the janitor kept walking behind me and I had to look busy to impress him.

“Jesus christ, Tony.”

Urban Dansigner
    Participant

He probably does not like Ohio State because it was not around when the Constitution was written. Damn, Ohio was not a state when the Constitution was written … are we even citizens of the US of A because no one from Ohio signed the document?

Bottom line, and this is what really gets me upset, at the highest levels there is alot of elitism in the law. Scalia uses “You didn’t go to a T-14 school” as a public dig (even if it is in jest).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: