Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Justice Antonin Scalia dies at 79

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Justice Antonin Scalia dies at 79

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

He was a “Consequential” Justice, President Obama said during a brief eulogy.

Senate Leader Mitch McConnell immediately indicated an intent to leave the appointment vacant until after the 2016 Presidential election.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Meh.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Does anybody else think it’s particularly insulting to Scalia, of all people, for the Senate to skirt its constitutional responsibilities?

DouginCMH
    Participant

There isn’t much to talk about, necessarily, but this is a huge and – for someone who follows national politics – fascinating unforeseen situation. One in which the Dems would appear to have a lot more leverage than the Reps. There’s a lot of talk about how the next president will get to appoint multiple SC justices, but you never know. These are life appointments; you can’t force someone to retire just because they’re in their 80’s. So Obama becomes the first president since Reagan who’ll have a shot at naming three SC justices. It’s a pretty damned big deal, when you look at the prevalence of 5-4 votes in the Court against liberal issues in recent years.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

If Obama is able to appoint a justice–he will surely nominate one–it would tilt the Court to the left for the first time since I don’t know when. That, and that alone, is why the GOP is arguing that the next president should be the one to appoint Scalia’s replacement. It is not a good argument, but its soundness matters not from a legal perspective.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

As for Justice Scalia, he was one of the very best writers to sit on the Court, and as many who fervently disagree with his conclusions have said, one of the most consequential–for better, or worse. He has become better known in recent years for his biting and often sarcastic dissents (and comments from the bench during oral argument), his opinions riddled with literary allusions, and a wit that helped ingratiate him to Ruth Bader Ginsburg, an ideological and physical opposite who has been one of his best friends for years.

One of his esteemed law clerks, Jeffrey Sutton, sits now on the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati, and as an OSU Law alum, continues to be on the short list of folks that could be tapped to replace him if a Republican president were to have the chance to do so. (Sutton’s chances have diminished in recent years, due to a ruling on the Affordable Care Act. He redeemed himself somewhat in the eyes of some conservatives with a ruling on gay marriage; of course, that ruling was ultimately overturned at SCOTUS.)

wygand
    Participant

I think the talk about the Senate blocking the nomination until the next president is a rather short sighted prediction. It seems to imply the republicans are more than 50-50 confident that they will win the white house and retain the Senate. Not to mention, I am not sure a Trump or Cruze nomination would really please republicans all that much more than a moderate Obama nomination.

I am guessing its a good talking point for republicans right now, but it seems like a dangerous game.

Pablo
    Participant

Who’s gonna tell Clarence Thomas how to vote?

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

Obviously a black conservative needs to be told what to think/do.

ohbr
    Participant

Have a case of the Monday trolls?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Meanwhile on the fishing board there is some good conspiracy stuff going already.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

So I’m clear only regressive leftism snark is not trolling?

OneBagTravel
    Participant

I think in their head it’s part of being “progressive”.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

It seems like it could be a dangerous game for the GOP to try to block the next SC nomination in an election year. I’m sure it would play great during the primary, but it could damage their eventual candidate in the general –similar to how the government shutdown backfired. You don’t gain anything if you block Obama’s nominee only to have Sanders or Clinton pick the next justice.

Personally, I read Pablo’s comment as a commentary on Thomas’ infamous lack of engagement at SC sessions, rather than on his race, but it’s interesting that’s how you took it.

ohbr
    Participant

Correct.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The 6th Annual Columbus Dessert Festival Returns!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO