Our City Online

Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Jury Room

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife The Jury Room

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 188 total)
  • Author

drew
    Participant

Alcohol is really pretty tricky, when it comes to compliance with the law – I’d guess they don’t have much choice in the matter. It wouldn’t hurt to have that clarified at the time of purchase, but I guess I’ve gotten to the point where I assume no coupon/discount is valid for alcohol unless it’s clearly stated otherwise.

somertimeoh
    Participant

I don’t really have anything to contribute to this discount talk, I just feel bad that this thread makes me want to take my germy face to JR for lunch. And I might just do it. That is all.

Yea I just felt kinda caught off guard and stupid when the server was like “Well that’s illegal”. That probably is what bugged me more. Had he suggested what someone above did (maybe order some type of small thing to take home with me that was $5 or whatever) I’d been more obliged. At no time did I even indicate with him or anyone I was upset or anything. Didn’t challenge anything he said (except when he first brought the bill and there was a drink on there that wasnt for our table.) Hell I didn’t even call him out on the fact he messed up my order and only did a half-size of pasta instead of the full-size like I’d ordered. So I don’t want to give the impression I was being some annoying abusive customer or whatever

ToddAnders
    Blocked

@groundrules, I’m totally with you; I don’t think I’ve ever used a coupon and especially not at a restaurant. For no other reason but pure lazyness and I’m not much of a planner in my personal life.

Looking into these for 2 seconds of google, it seems like they were sent out to build traffic for certain days and certain hours. If it works for both customer and retailer, fine. If not, than neither should do it.

Andrew Hall

Fudha uses the same wording as Groupon saying that usage for alcohol is at the discretion of the restaurant and applicable state law. Since Fudha is operating solely in Ohio, perhaps they should clarify this position and provide some guidance for consumer and provider.

Here is the rub : If a bottle of wine (eg) cost the restaurant 10$, they legally have to sell it at 15$ or more. If they have it on the wine list at 20$ and you use a 20$ Fudha for it, that is a violation. As shmack mentions, you can have discounts but they can’t be below the state minimum pricing. Even at a ‘Happy Hour’ pricing of state minimum, the resturant still receives less than the 15$ from the Fudha.

I haven’t heard of anyone being cited on this. Theoretically, the purchase amount of the Fudha could be applied to alcohol (though probably only the part of the restaurant gets) as it is legally considered a gift certificate for the purchase price.

A.

somertimeoh
    Participant

slayerfaith1982 wrote >>
    Yea I just felt kinda caught off guard and stupid when the server was like “Well that’s illegal”. That probably is what bugged me more. Had he suggested what someone above did (maybe order some type of small thing to take home with me that was $5 or whatever) I’d been more obliged. At no time did I even indicate with him or anyone I was upset or anything. Didn’t challenge anything he said (except when he first brought the bill and there was a drink on there that wasnt for our table.) Hell I didn’t even call him out on the fact he messed up my order and only did a half-size of pasta instead of the full-size like I’d ordered. So I don’t want to give the impression I was being some annoying abusive customer or whatever

I think this is my biggest beef with these types of situations. What you see as not “calling him out” on an incorrect order is actually taking away the chance for him to make it right and have you leave happy with your experience. Pointing out when something is unsatisfactory isn’t being annoying or abusive as long as you’re not being annoying or abusive. But then to publicly (and anonymously) “call him out” on a message board when there’s nothing he can now do about it seems annoying and cowardly.

Why is this such a foreign concept to most people?

Well I didn’t know the order was incorrect til we got the bill and I saw I actually had received the half-order and was only charged the half-order. The entire time I just figured their whole-order size was super chintzy and small. Had I known off the bat they brought me the wrong size I woulda said so when I got the food and had them correct it.

So I was paying the bill, already eaten, and technically charged for everything I ate, I am supposed to then complain once I find out? I mentioned the wrong drink on the bill since that was legitimately wrong but didn’t see it worth the effort since we were ready to leave and I wasn’t technically being overcharged on anything.

No need to act like a friggin firing squad for god sake

somertimeoh
    Participant

Sorry, not a firing squad and it was more a general frustration as this happens ALL THE TIME on this site. Give people a chance to make something right and 9 times out of 10 they will. If they don’t, then by all means, scream it from the rooftops. It’s the equivalent of someone bitching at your boss about something you didn’t realize was an issue.

Well I am a big fan of all the Lessner places and even emailed in a compliment about the service I once got at Betty’s and made sure to get the employees name who was so great. In all our countless visits to all of their places haven’t had 1 mistake in food or service honestly so for several things to go a bit off, all culminating at the end of the meal when we were already ready to go, just was off putting.

Still plan on giving Jury Room another go in the future as me n my partner both like to try out a lot of the things on all her menus. Just hoping next time things go better and now I’ll know what a half-order and full-order look like to be able to determine if I got the wrong thing. Plus I think it’s an honest constructive suggestion about the Fudha thing should they participate with something like that again in the future that they communicate to Fudha or wherever that the certificates or website specifically state any exclusions as I can’t imagine I’m the only person who would be caught a little off guard when trying to use one.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

somertimeoh wrote >>
    Sorry, not a firing squad and it was more a general frustration as this happens ALL THE TIME on the internet.

Fixed that for you.

JonMyers
    Participant

Based on the verbose exchange here with the obvious disruption and destruction of neurons the $5 discrepancy caused I wouldn’t be surprised if 5 hours of personal time ($1/ hr) have evaporated….

somertimeoh
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>
    Sorry, not a firing squad and it was more a general frustration as this happens ALL THE TIME on the internet.

Fixed that for you.

Yes, yes, I guess that would be the case, Walker!! Lucky for you, you have a monopoly on my internetting :)

jackoh
    Participant

Just a question. Why are those politicians who are in favor of reducing government regulation and interference in business not speaking up when it comes to liquor laws in this state (which, as Andrew Hall has pointed out, are a distinct mess)?

alison

Booze has a better lobby?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 188 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: