Our City Online

Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Jury Room

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife The Jury Room

Viewing 8 posts - 181 through 188 (of 188 total)
  • Author
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Per the Twitter, the new owners will be getting the keys to the Jury Room tmw.

Less interested in the new owners, keys, whatever, and …actually, let me rephrase that.

NOT AT ALL interested in the new owners, keys, whatever, and only interested in finding out whether or not the employees who didn’t get paid get paid in this whole thing.

I don’t know what the hell happened to Liz Lessner and her restaurants, but I’ve really just stopped going to any of them. Especially after hearing about staff getting stiffed.

Fsonicsmith
    Participant

Am I the first to note the irony here between the name of the restaurant at issue and this forum/thread? This is a jury room too. I would say it seems to be a 6-2 verdict in favor of a verdict of liability. But all that aside, the restaurant and bar biz is brutal. You can be popular for a couple of years and then see business plummet for no perceptible reason.

ColumbusHearsAWho
    ColumbusHearsAWho
    Participant

Am I the first to note the irony here between the name of the restaurant at issue and this forum/thread? This is a jury room too. I would say it seems to be a 6-2 verdict in favor of a verdict of liability. But all that aside, the restaurant and bar biz is brutal. You can be popular for a couple of years and then see business plummet for no perceptible reason.

I disagree. There are many perceptible reasons in the bar restaurant biz. (None of this list directed at Jury Room). Start by lowering your standards when hiring people. Skip reinvesting in maintenance / repair / decor. Buy lower-quality ingredients. Fail to build relationships with regular guests. Choose to not conduct inventory. Remain oblivious to changing tastes or appetites and let your offerings stagnate.

People are quick to say the restaurant business is hard, but food is a basic human need. You’re not selling hot tubs. It’s food. Yes, the hours are greater than many people are willing to work, but there are few great things that come out of a 40 hr. work week. Pay attention to your guests and you can prosper.

Fsonicsmith
    Participant

Things get way too testy here for no good reason, so please accept this as only a mild response and not an argument. Food is a basic need, but paying restaurant prices (fast food excluded) for that basic need is not. For every person who ate at the JR for lunch, there were probably ten who bought a $5 Subway sub or similar or who packed their lunch. By the time you buy a beverage and add a tip, I am sure the average ticket per customer was about $20 at lunch. The math is easy-$400/month if it was a daily thing. Most of us won’t keep going if the experience isn’t quite positive. Simply being fundamentally sound is not enough. There has to something more and that “something more” is often very elusive.

So what ever happened with this? Place re-opened? Sold? People paid? No? Nothing?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Hmm. So no update on people getting paid or not? That’s what I was really hoping to know.

Not so much “someone thinks opening a restaurant that focuses only on MEATBALLS is a good idea” or “dumb name dropped because it’s dumb”. But thanks. A good laugh.

Viewing 8 posts - 181 through 188 (of 188 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE