Our City Online

Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Jury Room

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife The Jury Room

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 188 total)
  • Author

Fsonicsmith
    Participant

I believe I have read every post in this long thread and I don’t recall one poster saying that they loved the food or the vibe, only some references to great kindness/service in the context of Ms. Lesner not paying paying her employees. So who cares who the new owner is going to be unless said owner is going to completely revamp the menu and the interior? How about that ugly vestibule area that leads to someone’s office upstairs and that smells of sewage? Is that something we can’t wait to go back to once the new owner is identified?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

This case appears to be one of the new owners not being willing to talk, for whatever reasons, but the former owner telling everyone what’s going to happen, but only up to a point. Once the contract is signed, that’s someone else’s information, someone else’s plan, not theirs. That’s what seemed odd to me.

I dunno… we’ve encountered just about every variant there is when it comes to who shares what information at what time and at what point in the process.

Regardless, we’ll write about new owners when we have details to share.

Josh_W
    Josh_W
    Participant

I loved the food and the vibe. The wife and I went there several times, as you could always get a seat at the bar. Loved the fries.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is it possible that she sold her business through Randy Sokol? They both have worked with the Central Ohio Restaurant Association. Maybe he put her in touch with the new ownership?

Graybeak
    Participant

I believe Randy is who she worked with for the Tiki Room and was working with for the New Betty’s that seems to have fallen through.

Schoolboy
    Participant

Even though the Jury Room wasn’t my favorite Liz diner in terms of food, menu, and atmosphere, it was probably the one that I ate at the most due to location. Sad to see it go, and glad to hear that a new diner is going in at the same location. Will be interested to check it out once it reopens.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I believe Randy is who she worked with for the Tiki Room and was working with for the New Betty’s that seems to have fallen through.

I checked in with him, and he is handling this transaction as well. He said he had no details to share until the deal was final, possibly next week.

ColumbusHearsAWho
    ColumbusHearsAWho
    Participant

Drove past today and saw some furniture coming in and out of the building, but no signage or other obvious updates.

DTown
    Participant

I think I’ll jump back in on this too.Two weeks ago, Liz was quoted as saying that this would reopen within two weeks, and it clearly didn’t. So, just like the promise of a reopened Betty’s, we have more words that didn’t materialize. Not to mention the backtracking on some new California chapter.

I think it’s worth noting, strictly within the context of her restaurants, that she’s acting more like she’s deflecting a poor image, than acting like a responsible businesswoman. Or perhaps, maybe that is the image of a responsible businessperson these days. Meanwhile we have two closed restaurants, and a Betty’s, Surly Girl, Chintz Room in the Lazarus space that hasn’t strayed past the over worn mold cast years ago. Neither cutting edge, nor a reclamation of the past.

Sorry, but when does she get asked (or have to answer) the tough questions, and people abandon deferential treatment? This is someone who seems to be getting opportunities that other’s don’t, yet she doesn’t really seem to be stepping up to the plate, in terms of quality, management, or even transparency. When your biggest culinary success of the last ten years is a glorified hot dog stand, you might not be the bedrock of Columbus dining.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Someone should be along shortly to tell you how unreasonable you’re being, for no reason.

ColumbusHearsAWho
    ColumbusHearsAWho
    Participant

It’s not unusual for these sales to take some time, and for news to be a slow trickle while they do. If there was someone lined up to buy the space, it would make sense to give them time for due diligence. If I’m not mistaken, Liz said she bought the place because it was struggling. It’s not in a great neighborhood downtown and it must be hard to turn a buck there.

DTown
    Participant

It’s not unusual for these sales to take some time, and for news to be a slow trickle while they do. If there was someone lined up to buy the space, it would make sense to give them time for due diligence. If I’m not mistaken, Liz said she bought the place because it was struggling. It’s not in a great neighborhood downtown and it must be hard to turn a buck there.

Sure. But then why at the official announcement of the sale would you specifically say that it would be rebranded and reopened within 2 weeks? And Liz herself was quoted as teasing that she couldn’t disclose the identify of the new owners, but they were big in the area.

Location wise, it’s in no worse a location than pretty much any other downtown bar/restaurant . Just around the corner from the Westin? Big time office traffic? Hardly a deserted wasteland.

So… any word?

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

I’m in no way piling on, but I’m fairly certain that every opening, or re-opening, date that has been set has been missed. I know this is always due to circumstances out of the control of the people setting the deadlines.

DTown
    Participant

I’m in no way piling on, but I’m fairly certain that every opening, or re-opening, date that has been set has been missed. I know this is always due to circumstances out of the control of the people setting the deadlines.

Agreed. But, when one of the primary parties involved goes out of their way to mention dates, and those dates don’t materialize, then I think it’s reasonable to ask why. Coupled with past promises broken, I think it’s reasonable to ask louder.

This wasn’t a McDonald’s, it was a reasonably well received & frequented bar/restaurant with some (historical?) significance. No one made Liz talk on the record, she did so willingly, even adding mystery and embellishing with her intentions of splitting time away from Columbus, which she has seemingly since stepped back from. If you want to keep plans under wrap, then it’s easy enough to clam up, as was pointed out with other restaurant ventures going on in the city.

I don’t know her, and I have no axe to grind (other than finding her cuisine and motifs somewhat uninspired, outdated, and overused). I just think it’s worth noting that she’s developing a habit of saying one thing, while doing something quite different (or nothing at all), and it has the potential to affect things in (selfishly, I suppose) my neighborhood.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

The statements are meant for the ears of her creditors, those getting paid and those with judgements (not paid). It is a tough business. Lessner has held her self out as morally superior more than once. People will pile on. That’s why most small business people avoid using their position in the community as a bull horn for specific ideologies. Business goes good – business goes bad. Customers are left – customers are right. These are absolutes.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 188 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE