Our City Online

Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Jury Room

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife The Jury Room

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 188 total)
  • Author
    ColumbusHearsAWho
    ColumbusHearsAWho
    Participant

Coming to agreement on some of the people, events, and ideas at hand could be a starting place. Liz has usually been outspoken at best and blunt at worst. The CU has usually moderated the fine line between news, a positive tone, and trolls-be-trolling. The Jury Room is in transition after struggling financially for at least 6 months, if not 2 years. Employees are the heart and soul of any business, and paying them is probably second only to rent in priority of expenses.

It seems from the outside that 2014 is a major turning point for Liz Lessner. The fact that this turning point is happening to someone who has long held the spotlight means that many people have been moved to comment. Hard to say if it is for good or ill, and how it will impact CFL long-term.

There has been a decline in many of the CFL restaurants since Liz moved from being an Operator to an Owner. It seems like the CFL restaurants that have a strong, day-to-day presence from additional partners (Surly Girl, Tip Top) have faired better than those that do not. Dirty Franks must be the safest bet long-term because the menu should have the lowest food-cost of any place (hot dogs, buns, nacho cheese, beverages).

DavidF
    Participant

Right. How silly that anyone tries to balance facts about one of the true saviors of Columbus. We should all be ashamed of ourselves. Why, treating employees poorly, and publicly holding others to standards one routinely ignores, we should all aspire.

I don’t think I’ve ever read any more bashing than veneration when it comes to Liz. Her words, methods, and actions welcome controversy, why complain when it occurs? What, exactly, is the bar to clear for a very public and vocal figure to be absolved from all criticism? I’m sure a lot of politicians would love to know.

By the way, has anyone heard any more about who bought the former Jury Room, and what we can anticipate at their opening next weekend?

You haven’t read much here have you?

DTown
    Participant

You haven’t read much here have you

I guess not. Or, maybe my definition of “bashing” is substantially different from others. What people are saying about Liz here seems a lot less inflammatory than what she’s willing to say about others on her own venues.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

If anyone has questions about our Terms of Service for use of CU, please refer here:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/tos

If you have questions about the TOS, email [email protected].

This discussion is about The Jury Room. Please keep it on topic and civilized. Thanks!

chaptal
    Participant

So skinned kittens are allowed, along with the poutine. Got it.

DTown
    Participant

If anyone has questions about our Terms of Service for use of CU, please refer here:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/tos

If you have questions about the TOS, email [email protected].

This discussion is about The Jury Room. Please keep it on topic and civilized. Thanks!

OK, I read them. Nothing that says people can’t comment about public figures, even derogatorily. Or make poor attempts at humor at their expense. Content removed? It seems that the former owner of the Jury Room, especially given that she disclosed its fate, is certainly within the scope of the topic.

No one removed content praising the same person in the early messages of this thread. How is this less on topic? What gives?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

No one removed content praising the same person in the early messages of this thread. How is this less on topic? What gives?

Content is not going to be removed based on personal opinions about the Jury Room or its owner.

It’s going to be removed based on violations of our TOS.

These reminders don’t really apply to 99% of users/readers/contributors to this thread.

If you have questions about specifics, feel free to email. ;) Thanks!

ColumbusHearsAWho
    ColumbusHearsAWho
    Participant

Strange that when I brought this Jury Room thread up with friends the first thing they asked was, “So, do you suppose Walker’s editing it for content already?”

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Strange that when I brought this Jury Room thread up with friends the first thing they asked was, “So, do you suppose Walker’s editing it for content already?”

Hence the fate of the “message board.” Weak sauce. Columbus’ beloved misandrist pulls strings like Kurgis.

ColumbusHearsAWho
    ColumbusHearsAWho
    Participant

Anyone remember this article from Columbus Business First?

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2014/08/betty-s-by-osu-open-24-7-liz-lessner-keeping-open.html

It is less than three months old. Are plans for a 24/7 Betty’s more or less likely than the sale and re-opening of the Jury Room?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

There’s no editing. Some off topic and/or inappropriate posts are being deleted. No one has asked us to do this.

CU has always been a moderated community. It is not the Wild West. If anyone feels the need to be vitriolic, hateful, hurtful, libelous, or mean, there are many other outlets where you can take those emotions. Facebook and Twitter for example.

Again, this rarely needs to be enforced. Most people are capable of civil discourse without any moderation at all. If anyone has questions on specifics, feel free to email or PM me.

Thanks!

OneBagTravel
    Participant

rus
    rus
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ColumbusHearsAWho wrote:</div>

Hence the fate of the “message board.” Weak sauce. Columbus’ beloved misandrist pulls strings like Kurgis.

Let’s see how long “misandrist” lasts this time.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Enough with the petty personal insults/attacks. You can take it elsewhere. Thanks.

ColumbusHearsAWho
    ColumbusHearsAWho
    Participant

Hey, guess which thread with dozens of posts in the past week was not included in the weekly CU e-mail blast?

This one!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 188 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE