Our City Online

Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Jury Room

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife The Jury Room

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 188 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Via Facebook:

The Jury Room Inspections are OVER! See you for Dinner Thurs-Sun, 5pm-2am, then open for lunch, dinner and late night beginning on Monday, 1/23.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Great news!

placebohigh
    Participant

Anybody try the grub? I’d like to hear how it is!

AmyJ
    Participant

As much as it pains me to give Jury Room a bad review, I really don’t have a lot of positive things to say about my lunch experience here today. My friend and I have been anxiously awaiting their lunch service to start and made plans to meet there today.

They are still operating on a limited menu, so I chose the escarole soup and pasta w/broccoli rabe, olive oil and garlic. My friend ordered the scungilli salad and pasta w/Italian veggies. Both the soup and salad were okay, not remarkable, but fresh and satisfactory.

When our pasta dishes came out, we both kind of laughed at the plates in disbelief. It was a pile of dry spaghetti noodles with a few pieces of (too bitter) broccoli rabe/squash mixed in. We were expecting them tossed in olive oil, so we knew they weren’t going to be covered in sauce of any sort, but these were seriously dry.

Both of us tried to choke down a few bites until we both gave up and asked for sauce on the side. I added alfredo and my friend added marinara. After the sauce was added, it was moderately better. We were at least able to eat it without needing to wash it down immediately afterward.

While I think the food has a lot of potential, these particular plates of pasta left us both pretty underwhelmed.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

I’m sorry to hear that, Amy! I was there at lunch and I’m sorry I didn’t get the chance to talk to you personally today, I thought I made it to every table to get feedback, I regret that I missed you.

We appreciate the feedback and I’ll be addressing the issues you mention with my kitchen staff first thing tomorrow morning. We have spent each day getting comments from customers and tweaking our recipes that might need work. I’m not sure what happened with your particular dishes today but I’ll be sure to look into it. I’m hoping too that your server asked you for your feedback, we do want everyone to leave happy!

If you’d like to give us another try, I’d love to buy your lunch, just pm me your mailing address and I’ll send over a gift certificate.

ToddAnders
    Blocked

While I am not a diner at your establishments, your response to issues makes me want to be. Well done at confronting issues head on.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Thanks, Todd.

I am so proud of our amazing kitchen and bar staff and our food, when properly prepared, is something I feel really proud of as well.

As we are in our opening weeks, we expect mistakes, and lots of them. We regret when it happens but we’re learning.

Right now I’m trying to figure out how on earth we were able to sautee a pasta without any olive oil??!?!

AmyJ
    Participant

Liz, I would have loved to meet you too! Like I said, I was (and still am) really excited about the place and think the menu has potential to be really excellent. I know you are still working out the kinks, so I definitely took that under consideration and will give it another shot. I don’t know if maybe the plates were just sitting a bit too long before making it to our table or what, but I thought you may be interested in the feedback.

Thanks so much for your response. You’ll see me again sipping on your amazing cocktails and trying out that fried gnocchi soon!

DavidF
    Participant

lizless wrote >>
    I’m sorry to hear that, Amy! I was there at lunch and I’m sorry I didn’t get the chance to talk to you personally today, I thought I made it to every table to get feedback but I regret that I missed you.
    We appreciate the feedback and I’ll be addressing the issues you mention with my kitchen staff first thing tomorrow morning. We have spent each day getting comments from customers and tweaking our recipes that might need work. I’m not sure what happened with your particular dishes today but I’ll be sure to look into it. I’m hoping too that your server asked you for your feedback, we do want everyone to leave happy!
    If you’d like to give us another try, I’d love to buy your lunch, just pm me your mailing address and I’ll send over a gift certificate.

Every restaurant operator in Columbus should be required to read this and see how you deal with a dissatisfied customer. Don’t ignore them. Don’t disparage them. Engage them and be genuinely interested in resolving their issue.

As always, done with class Liz.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Thanks, guys. We really, truly aim to please and genuinely regret when we miss the mark.

Amy, I’m looking forward to meeting you. I still owe you a pasta…this time with cooked broccoli rabe and olive oil…*still shaking head*….

placebohigh
    Participant

Kudos to Liz’s superb conflict resolution skills!

Are the hoagies available yet?

TaraK
    Participant

I posted in the other thread so I won’t repeat here, but we really enjoyed our dinner there this weekend, even with the limited menu. Will be back soon and often. Calamari and pasta were scrumptious. Looking forward to trying the entrees on the full menu.

chaptal
    Participant

My wife and I had a fine dinner there this evening. She loved her salad and the alfredo pasta was very good. I ordered the half portion, which was plenty.

Wanted to try a cocktail but got sidetracked by Anchor Steam on tap. It’s not a rare beer but it does not show up on tap around here often. Very appreciated!

ohiojimmie
    Participant

When will the website be up and running? I want to check out the menu and spirits.

Twixlen
    Participant

Liz posted these initial menus in one of the other Jury Room threads –
    http://homepage.mac.com/barbtastic/JR_Menu_Booze.pdf

http://homepage.mac.com/barbtastic/JR_Menu_Food.pdf

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 188 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE