Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Jobu Ramen

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Jobu Ramen

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Went on the first day, and encountered lots of oddities that may just be opening hiccups, such as – they served all of the bowls without enough broth (noodles were piled way above the broth line)…

I heard the same thing.

But I also heard they were crazy busy on Monday and closed early after running out of food.

I’d give them a few weeks to settle into things before judging too harshly on opening day. ;)

rus
    rus
    Participant

I’d give them a few weeks to settle into things before judging too harshly on opening day. ;)

Yep. That.

drew
    Participant

I think you’re thinking of David Chang (Michael Chang was a tennis player)…

Facepalm!

drew
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>drew wrote:</div>
    Went on the first day, and encountered lots of oddities that may just be opening hiccups, such as – they served all of the bowls without enough broth (noodles were piled way above the broth line)…

I heard the same thing.

But I also heard they were crazy busy on Monday and closed early after running out of food.

I suspected they might have been stingy with the broth because they knew they didn’t have enough of it to go around.

And, agreed – it’s not overly fair to judge them based upon opening day, but it’s fair to observe that opening day was rocky enough that you couldn’t get a particularly good sense of what they’re capable of doing. Word definitely got out about their debut, and there were quite a few Japanese ramen-seekers there with ‘what the hell is this?!’ looks on their faces. I felt bad both for them and the owners.

Chrysee
    Chrysee
    Participant

We went for lunch here this morning and got a table right away, though the place had plenty of people and turned over a lot while we were there. Several of the issues I had heard about seemed to be worked out already. Servings were a good size with plenty of broth, temperature was hot enough, got our food really quickly. One of the owners was there chatting people up.

The pork steam buns do seem expensive, $8 for two. But they are very good. If they were more like $6 I would probably order them every time. We did regret it a bit when the ramen arrived because it was a huge amount of food. We both had the miso and the pork in it is excellent. The broth was pretty salty and I can’t say I was impressed with the noodles. They were fine, just maybe I expected them to be better? But I’m not gonna claim to know anything about ramen outside of the 10 cent stuff I ate in college.

I had a lil carafe of iced tea and it was very nice. The place could use a liquor license though. Is that something that they’re in the process of? I thought I heard that somewhere. A bottle of Sapporo or some sake would have been really good with it. Although the husband mentioned a place in Cbus without draft beer would be an oddity at this point. But we both agreed we would go again.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

We went on Saturday night during the Grandview Hop. Got a table right away and like Chrysee said it’s a pretty fast in and out so I don’t see long lines here.

We tried the pork buns, which I thought were very average. pretty bland.

The Wings, Which were really good IMO. They had a sweet sugary glaze on them. We asked for some chili oil to dip them in and it was a great contrast.

(no pic)

And I had the Soy Ramen spicy style.

I really liked it. The broth portion was perfect and had a lot of flavor. It was a little salty… but it’s soy. The pork and noodles were good and the egg was nicely done, maybe just a tad soft.

Overall I really enjoyed my meal and I’d say it’s my new favorite Ramen place in town. (although I heard a rumor good things are happening at Easton.)

I put it a step above Rishi and Tensuke. Although I need to try Tensuke again as everyone tells me how good it is, and my one and only experience was pretty average. (although they have had the best noodles by far)

rus
    rus
    Participant

Huh. Thought they’d be more like nikuman from the description.

geoyui
    Participant

(although I heard a rumor good things are happening at Easton.)

I heard edamame sushi and grill has ramen. Is that the place your referring to?

Unfortunate to hear about the bao buns. I’ll still probably try them out.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div>

I think these are really called “bao’s” but I might be wrong. My info comes from watching Fresh of the boat.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div>
    (although I heard a rumor good things are happening at Easton.)

I heard edamame sushi and grill has ramen. Is that the place your referring to?

Unfortunate to hear about the bao buns. I’ll still probably try them out.

Edamae is exactly what I’m talking about. I have not been yet, but heard from a good source it’s amazing.

and it looks like you beat me to the “bao” comment

rus
    rus
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rus wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div><br>

I think these are really called “bao’s” but I might be wrong. My info comes from watching Fresh of the boat.

Lot of crossover; effectively the same thing has different names in different places. It’s the fold-over vs. filling that looks odd to me.

DavidF
    Participant

I had the ramen at Edamame last week and thought it was pretty decent. Their pork buns were also called bao and looked just like the ones pictured above, which was kinda disappointing because when I think of bao, I think of these.

Char siu bao

drew
    Participant

Edamame’s ramen is the best I’ve had in town. Their ‘chashu’ ramen was the favorite from what we tried.

DavidF – the style of pork buns you’re seeing at Jobu and Edamame is more in keeping with this. Y’know, Michael *ahem* I mean David Chang.

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

Last year David Chang’s PBS TV show “The Mind of a Chef” had an entire episode on ramen. You can buy the episode on iTunes for $2.99 (its called “Noodle.”) They visit a few ramen shops in Japan, talk about the regional differences, show how Momofuku cooks its broth, and then he cooks a few recipes. Focuses on tsukemen ramen (noodles, broth served separately). Watching it will make you hungry.

I love pork buns, and I buy them up at Golden Delight Bakery at Bethel Center on Bethel Road (http://www.goldendelightbakery.net/). They sell them for $1.25 each (pork, pork mushroom, veg) and you either microwave or steam them at home. They aren’t like the mini-taco looking ones above. They look like a small baseball with the filling inside.

I went to Jobu Ramen this past weekend. It wasn’t what I expected. I was expecting a less formal setting with an “order here, then find a seat” sort of thing. More fast casual, so I was surprised there was waiter service. I had the miso ramen and liked it a lot. I’ll have to go back and try the buns, pickled vegetables, and other menu options. The food was good, and my friend had the korean burrito and enjoyed it. I thought the price was a bit high ($13 for miso ramen), but I’ll be back.

DavidF
    Participant

@Drew. I really enjoyed the Ramen at Edamame, but honestly thought the buns were “meh.” My favorites are the char siu bao at Sunflower. (but then, everyone knows of my irrational love for the dim sum at Sunflower)

Golden Delight has some pretty tasty options too.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 70 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: