Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Jennifer Brunner vs. Jon Husted

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Jennifer Brunner vs. Jon Husted

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author

Mercurius
    Participant

Jennifer Brunner (D), current Secretary of State, issued a ruling against Jon Husted (R), a State Senator and the past Speaker of the Ohio House of Representatives, preventing him from voting using his Kettering address this fall.

Husted currently is running for Secretary of State and before he ran for the Statehouse, he lived in Kettering, in a home he still maintains. Further, Husted doesn’t own property in Franklin County. Solely on this information, I see this ruling as overly partisan as Democrats have already used the issue against him.

What makes it sickening is Husted has a son in Upper Arlington who lives mostly with his ex-wife. One reason Husted stays in Columbus is to be around his son, not politics.

Read more:

karenS

It would be a lot better if all the rules and regulations governing residence would match. It seems the provision about where the family lives makes it pretty clear where his residence is technically located though. But, yeah, having multiple and conflicting rules is just stupid.

berdawn

From what I read, he lives with his current wife in UA in a home that is in her name. One of the reasons given for the ruling was a lack of water consumption on the home in Kettering.

berdawn

From what I read, he lives with his current wife in UA in a home that is in her name. One of the reasons given for the ruling was a lack of water consumption on the home in Kettering.

Mercurius
    Participant

berdawn wrote >>

not lack but decrease, which seeing he was Speaker of the House…

utility records show a decrease in electrical and water usage at Husted’s Kettering home after he was elected to the legislature in 2001

berdawn

The dispatch stated “no water use for six consecutive months” earlier today.

Mercurius
    Participant

berdawn wrote >>

I didn’t see that. I saw “…no water consumption at the Kettering home during a period in 2008,” which is much more vague.

berdawn

Mercurius wrote >>

berdawn wrote >>

I didn’t see that. I saw “…no water consumption at the Kettering home during a period in 2008,” which is much more vague.

Just went back, too…I’m pretty sure I saw it that way this AM, tho. They do change things without noting it.

Not sure I agree that it’s totally partisan, but with the vagueness in the current water statement, I’ll go with party-line as a factor if not the deciding one. I think however she decided she would get slammed.

misskitty
    Participant

I am ignorant on this topic. So I will ask why does it matter where he is at? Is anything drastic going to take place? Will a system fall apart?

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

as Speaker of the House, he needed to spent much more time than his Representative counterparts in Columbus. Plain and simple. this is a partisan issue.

karenS

So, here’s a question: if he considers himself a resident of Kettering, then why does his wife own a house in Columbus and why does his whole family live in it and not in Kettering? I can see why he might not want to rent a place here if as speaker (which he’s not anymore) he spent a good amount of time here, but for his family to all live here just makes his claim of Kettering residence seem suspect. Of all people, he should know the perception that creates and the waters that muddies.

Mercurius
    Participant

karenS wrote >>
    So, here’s a question: if he considers himself a resident of Kettering, then why does his wife own a house in Columbus and why does his whole family live in it and not in Kettering? I can see why he might not want to rent a place here if as speaker (which he’s not anymore) he spent a good amount of time here, but for his family to all live here just makes his claim of Kettering residence seem suspect. Of all people, he should know the perception that creates and the waters that muddies.

His wife lived here (and owned the house) before they met. They met in Columbus. Being a State Senator while running for Secretary of State isn’t exactly a part time job either.

pez
    Participant

karenS wrote >>

She likely owns title to the house to protect their privacy and physical security as well as to shield them from some liability. My guess is that he and the family live there since he works in Columbus and wants to be close to the family rather than driving 90 minutes each way. They’ve only lived there since 2008, I don’t know where they lived before.
    All he has to do is be eligible to vote in the county where he claims residency to serve in statewide office. As long as the board of elections there declares him eligible, he’s fine. If I were him though, I’d find out where she got the information on the water bill, I doubt that it’s considered public information.

karenS

Channel 10 just reported that the wife lives here because she works here. This is just comical. It walks like a duck and talks like a duck, but nobody wants to admit it’s a duck. Whatever.

Mercurius
    Participant

karenS wrote >>
    Channel 10 just reported that the wife lives here because she works here. This is just comical. It walks like a duck and talks like a duck, but nobody wants to admit it’s a duck. Whatever.

He is remarried; his new wife has always lived here. His new wife owned the house before they met.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER