Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Jeni's recall

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Jeni's recall

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 199 total)
  • Author
    dalias
    dalias
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>dalias wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gus W wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>dalias wrote:</div><br><br>
    “apparent dust and dirt was observed adhering to the cap and retaining wire on the fire sprinkler in the hood directly above the kettle referred to as “Aretha”, which was used to prepare batches of base mix.”

“an employee dumped a paper bag of cocoa powder into the kettle referred to as “Aretha” such that<br><br><br><br>
    the outside of the paper bag was in direct contact with the inner food contact surface of the kettle.”

“an employee hung their apron on a metal wire shelf in the northwest comer of the prep room such that the apron strings were in direct contact with the prep room floor. In addition, an employee chef coat was lying directly on the floor under the apron”

This has utterly ruined the enthusiasm for the delicious pint I will thoroughly enjoy polishing off this weekend.

Watch out for the rat droppings!

Yes, from 2008. Quite vintage poop now. I am sure the ounces consumed in the past 7 years have been full of feces which would explain all the rampant illness and the subsequent inspection reports about a continued problem.<br><br>
    While not pleasant to think about, I am not surprised that the location had issues and abatement was needed. I would surmise that most production facilities in urban areas would face similar issues and need abatement.

People seem to love the taste of Schadenfreude.

People also read the full story and find that the 2015 report was worse . It’s not an isolated or past issue. It’s a current issue that they have been dealing with (or not dealing with) for 7 years. It’s quite lucky, more than anything, that no one got sick. No Schadenfreude here. Just facts.

Thanks for the note on reading comprehension.
    However you can do so yourself and find all of the quotes I started with (and still in my response you quoted) in the 2015 report you recommend I read.
    The subject went back to rat feces because someone mentioned I forgot to reference it. I didn’t, because it was not in the 2015 report I already read and quoted from. I then went back and addressed it, only to be referenced back to the 2015 report that was in the original comment.

Having already read both of them fully, I find the 2008 worse. I am not that bothered by the 2015 report. I am also not that concerned about consuming their product.

ohbr
    Participant

I too read both reports before posting. I’m simply saying that the lack of rodents/rodent feces is not something to point to as being a reason to praise them when there was little improvement on processes and potentials for cross contamination as evident by both reports. The 2015 report is still pretty scary even though it doesn’t have the “ick” factor the 2008 report has. I’ll still eat the product. Heck, all of our personal kitchens are more of a hazard than her production facilities but As a mass producer, we should expect better. Again, it’s lucky that something worse didn’t occur. It’s also important that our zeal and love of local business does not cloud our thinking. It’s not Schadenfreude to call out and say that something like this was bound to happen given the history at the production facilities. I think that’s a term we throw out a little freely sometimes just because someone may not be devoutly supporting a business, it’s “unfortunate circumstances,” and actually questioning what is going on. This isn’t an unfortunate occurrence. It was all preventable and known that this could happen. The company is not a victim nor is it blameless.

Again, I will still eat it and take my out of town guests to Jeni’s. I just won’t jump on to the “Oh no, how could this happen to poor Jeni’s? let’s buy double pints to make sure she stays in business!” bandwagon. I won’t take joy if the business takes a big hit, but I wouldn’t bemoan if it did not fully recover either.

RedStorm
    Participant

Basic FDA regulations shouldn’t be hard to follow when you get into the dairy business.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Heck, all of our personal kitchens are more of a hazard than her production facilities…

Yeah, but that kind of rationalization takes the fun out of it for the people out there who are enjoying this opportunity to dogpile Jeni’s.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I too read both reports before posting. I’m simply saying that the lack of rodents/rodent feces is not something to point to as being a reason to praise them when there was little improvement on processes and potentials for cross contamination as evident by both reports. The 2015 report is still pretty scary even though it doesn’t have the “ick” factor the 2008 report has. I’ll still eat the product. Heck, all of our personal kitchens are more of a hazard than her production facilities but As a mass producer, we should expect better. Again, it’s lucky that something worse didn’t occur. It’s also important that our zeal and love of local business does not cloud our thinking. It’s not Schadenfreude to call out and say that something like this was bound to happen given the history at the production facilities. I think that’s a term we throw out a little freely sometimes just because someone may not be devoutly supporting a business, it’s “unfortunate circumstances,” and actually questioning what is going on. This isn’t an unfortunate occurrence. It was all preventable and known that this could happen. The company is not a victim nor is it blameless.

Again, I will still eat it and take my out of town guests to Jeni’s. I just won’t jump on to the “Oh no, how could this happen to poor Jeni’s? let’s buy double pints to make sure she stays in business!” bandwagon. I won’t take joy if the business takes a big hit, but I wouldn’t bemoan if it did not fully recover either.

This.

Even a casual observer to the conditions there could have seen it coming – sad they chose to ignore it in pursuit of quantity not quality.

I hope they rebound, but as remarked they’re no victim.

Friendoffacts
    Friendoffacts
    Participant

The Dispatch ran multiple pro-Jeni’s stories all week. Last night, Channel 10 led with the re-opening.

Ohbr mentioned it above, the zeal and love for local, from local media and politicians, is borderline delusional.

I can’t help but imagine what the coverage would look like if this happened at Smith’s dairy?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

“I hate that other people like things.”

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I would hope that if this happened to any other cherished local establishment in any other city, the local news, citizens and city officials would do the same to support them. Smith’s dairy is not a neighborhood anchor like Jeni’s is so I really don’t see them as similar. If it were to happen to Graeter’s, I would hope that people would support it just as much as they did Jeni’s. It’s great when the community can come together and support small local business like that.

RedStorm
    Participant

I support competent local business. You don’t get a pass because you’re small/local (though the brand is now national), especially when it comes to health concerns. The PR B.S. of “our #1 concern is safety” comes across as fake, considering they had this FDA report in 2008, and they still lacked basic sanitation in 2015.

That’s 13 years of existence, and still were not up to FDA standards. That put thousands of people at risk. I’m just skeptical to jump on the bandwagon again, simply because it’s a local company. Overpriced and without FDA regulations? Count me out.

robertfoshizzle
    Participant

“I hate that other people like things.”

I have my own reason for disliking Jeni’s, but it has nothing to do with being overpriced, FDA regulations, or the zeal of their fans.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I have my own reason for disliking Jeni’s…

And that’s fair. Not everyone has to like everything.

I just don’t get why some people make a hobby out of going out of their way to shit on things that other people are enjoying. If you don’t like Jeni’s, and don’t plan on eating Jeni’s, then it doesn’t matter to you one way or another how 10tv reports on their closure and reopening.

Friendoffacts
    Friendoffacts
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>robertfoshizzle wrote:</div>

And that’s fair. Not everyone has to like everything.

I just don’t get why some people make a hobby out of going out of their way to shit on things that other people are enjoying. If you don’t like Jeni’s, and don’t plan on eating Jeni’s, then it doesn’t matter to you one way or another how 10tv reports on their closure and reopening.

I’m pretty indifferent in regards to Jeni’s…….but if questioning the constant positive media attention to a plugged in local business in light of negligent operational standards threatening its customer’s health is being a “hater”, then count me in.

I don’t wish ill will by any means, but I do expect a level of journalistic integrity that hasnt happened in this case. Its almost ” small town “……

ohbr
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>robertfoshizzle wrote:</div>

If you don’t like Jeni’s, and don’t plan on eating Jeni’s, then it doesn’t matter to you one way or another how 10tv reports on their closure and reopening.

I hate to get further derailed but I’m going to go with whether or not you like or care to hear about any particular thing, we should expect fair treatment and responsible reporting by our local media. I don’t watch local media so I can’t comment on whether or not it’s been fair but it’s probably not good to promote the idea of “what do you even care if you don’t like it anyway?”

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The Commons location opens Friday:

OneBagTravel
    Participant

I have my own reason for disliking Jeni’s, but it has nothing to do with being overpriced, FDA regulations, or the zeal of their fans.

Did SWAT came into your house, disrespected your whole family because Jeni narc’d you out!?[/fastandthefuriousquote]

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 199 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!