Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Jeni's recall

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Jeni's recall

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 199 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Via FB:

It’s been a flurry of activity this past week in our production kitchen. We removed walls, set up foot foaming stations; we now have a conveyor belt! We examined and reworked every single process. Thanks to the team from around the country who made it work alongside the tireless army that is #teamjenis. We plan to fire this baby up by the end of the week. “Mr. Sulu, stand by to take us to maximum warp.”

News
    Participant

Jeni’s Retail Stores to Reopen on May 22nd
    May 14, 2015 3:52 pm – Walker Evans

As promised earlier this week, Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams has restarted their production kitchen after a voluntary shutdown following a listeria issue. The problems have been resolved through equipment upgrades and procedural changes, and founder Jeni Britton Bauer shared news of retail reopenings on the company’s blog today:

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/jenis-retail-stores-to-reopen-on-may-22nd

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

News
    Participant

FDA Inspections Reveal Many Problems at Jeni’s
    By MIKE THOMPSON • 2 HOURS AGO

US Food and Drug Administration inspection reports reveal several problems with Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams’ current and former production facilities. The FDA found some problems in 2008 and a long list of potential violations in an inspection this spring.

READ MORE: http://radio.wosu.org/post/fda-inspections-reveal-many-problems-jenis

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Small batch artisan conveyor belts, lol.

RedStorm
    Participant

Everyone who’s so excited for Jeni’s to be back should read those FDA reports. Absolutely disgusting (like most other food/ice cream companies, you could say).

dalias
    dalias
    Participant

“apparent dust and dirt was observed adhering to the cap and retaining wire on the fire sprinkler in the hood directly above the kettle referred to as “Aretha”, which was used to prepare batches of base mix.”

“an employee dumped a paper bag of cocoa powder into the kettle referred to as “Aretha” such that
    the outside of the paper bag was in direct contact with the inner food contact surface of the kettle.”

“an employee hung their apron on a metal wire shelf in the northwest comer of the prep room such that the apron strings were in direct contact with the prep room floor. In addition, an employee chef coat was lying directly on the floor under the apron”

This has utterly ruined the enthusiasm for the delicious pint I will thoroughly enjoy polishing off this weekend.

Rodgers
    Participant

Everyone who’s so excited for Jeni’s to be back should read those FDA reports. Absolutely disgusting (like most other food/ice cream companies, you could say).

At least the rodent droppings were ethically sourced from free-range rodents, so they have that going for them.

jOHnH
    Participant

Only one easy way to silence this kind of bad PR. YOU GET FREE ICE CREAM AND YOU GET FREE ICE CREAM AND YOU GET FREE ICE CREAM!

But seriously, that FDA report makes me think twice about my double order of Jeni’s Dark choc. Would love to see some photos of the facilities in some sort of rebuttal to this report.

Friendoffacts
    Friendoffacts
    Participant

I suppose the Dispatch had to run at least one item with actual information to counterbalance the Jeni’s cheerleading competition from most of the local media this past week.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

“apparent dust and dirt was observed adhering to the cap and retaining wire on the fire sprinkler in the hood directly above the kettle referred to as “Aretha”, which was used to prepare batches of base mix.”

“an employee dumped a paper bag of cocoa powder into the kettle referred to as “Aretha” such that<br>
    the outside of the paper bag was in direct contact with the inner food contact surface of the kettle.”

“an employee hung their apron on a metal wire shelf in the northwest comer of the prep room such that the apron strings were in direct contact with the prep room floor. In addition, an employee chef coat was lying directly on the floor under the apron”

This has utterly ruined the enthusiasm for the delicious pint I will thoroughly enjoy polishing off this weekend.

Watch out for the rat droppings!

dalias
    dalias
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>dalias wrote:</div>

“an employee dumped a paper bag of cocoa powder into the kettle referred to as “Aretha” such that<br><br>

Yes, from 2008. Quite vintage poop now. I am sure the ounces consumed in the past 7 years have been full of feces which would explain all the rampant illness and the subsequent inspection reports about a continued problem.
    While not pleasant to think about, I am not surprised that the location had issues and abatement was needed. I would surmise that most production facilities in urban areas would face similar issues and need abatement.

People seem to love the taste of Schadenfreude. I just hope they don’t like caramel apples http://www.cdc.gov/listeria/outbreaks/caramel-apples-12-14/
    Plain old apples:
    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/connect/FSIS-Content/internet/main/topics/recalls-and-public-health-alerts/recall-case-archive/archive/2015/recall-080-2015-release
    tender Veal:
    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/connect/FSIS-Content/internet/main/topics/recalls-and-public-health-alerts/recall-case-archive/archive/2015/recall-080-2015-release
    Summer Fresh Pasta Salad:
    http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm444946.htm

ohbr
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gus W wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>dalias wrote:</div><br>

“an employee dumped a paper bag of cocoa powder into the kettle referred to as “Aretha” such that<br><br><br>

Yes, from 2008. Quite vintage poop now. I am sure the ounces consumed in the past 7 years have been full of feces which would explain all the rampant illness and the subsequent inspection reports about a continued problem.<br>
    While not pleasant to think about, I am not surprised that the location had issues and abatement was needed. I would surmise that most production facilities in urban areas would face similar issues and need abatement.

People seem to love the taste of Schadenfreude.

People also read the full story and find that the 2015 report was worse . It’s not an isolated or past issue. It’s a current issue that they have been dealing with (or not dealing with) for 7 years. It’s quite lucky, more than anything, that no one got sick. No Schadenfreude here. Just facts.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

(like most other food/ice cream companies, you could say).

Yeah, but all those other companies’ kitchens are out of sight and out of mind right now.

GeeDee
    Participant

I’m not going to avoid Jeni’s because of all this mess.

I was already avoiding Jeni’s because their prices are totally insane. Especially when they’re doing things like using Kroger’s produce. Umm, I mean “locally-sourced, artisanal, cruelty-free, blah, blah, blah”

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 199 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO