Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Jeni's recall

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Jeni's recall

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 199 total)
  • Author

roy
    Participant

Jeni’s seems to have moved away from their formerly hyper-local beginnings, does anyone know if they’re purchasing ice cream base from Blue Bell?

Coach Rich
    Participant

The conspiracy nut inside me is running wild with all types of speculation. Does this have anything to do with Jeni selling a substancial portion of her business to a large NY based private equity firm?

Like is this firm demanding lower standards for higher profits which could have caused this to happen? Is some of the ice cream (of ice milk as it may be as Jeni is using milk rather than cream to make her ice creams) production being farmed out to other larger ice cream producers, perhaps Blue Bell, to further reduce costs?

Just wild speculation.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

The conspiracy nut inside me is running wild with all types of speculation. Does this have anything to do with Jeni selling a substancial portion of her business to a large NY based private equity firm?

Like is this firm demanding lower standards for higher profits which could have caused this to happen? Is some of the ice cream (of ice milk as it may be as Jeni is using milk rather than cream to make her ice creams) production being farmed out to other larger ice cream producers, perhaps Blue Bell, to further reduce costs?

Just wild speculation.

That deal didn’t happen, thankfully. Genuinely interesting speculation though.

In my opinion, making the best ice cream in the world and trying to grow your business exponentially is contradictory.

It was a better product years ago, not just because of Snowville but also because of their smaller production runs, higher quality control and I’ll be damned if I don’t miss the hand written labels.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

ntn
    ntn
    Participant

I would gladly fill a garbage bag of recently discarded pints for a 0.0001% chance of death.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

ntn speak’n my language.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I would gladly fill a garbage bag of recently discarded pints for a 0.0001% chance of death.

NOROVIRUS? MORE LIKE YOLOVIRUS AM I RIGHT? ;)

sruckus
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coach Rich wrote:</div>

Just wild speculation.

That deal didn’t happen, thankfully. Genuinely interesting speculation though.

In my opinion, making the best ice cream in the world and trying to grow your business exponentially is contradictory.

It was a better product years ago, not just because of Snowville but also because of their smaller production runs, higher quality control and I’ll be damned if I don’t miss the hand written labels.

I don’t know how true it is, but posters on Reddit have said people who work there say it’s basically glorified stuff from GFS now, which honestly wouldn’t really be that surprising when you’re trying to get big.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Ice cream, Mandrake. Children’s ice cream.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

News
    Participant

Jeni’s Solves Listeria Issue, Working Towards Reopening
    May 6, 2015 4:59 pm – Walker Evans

On April 23rd, Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams issued a recall after their ice cream tested positive for Listeria. The company voluntarily shut down both production lines and their retail stores. After a two-week inspection, they’ve identified the source of the problem and are working toward a $200,000 upgrade to their production kitchen to prevent future issues.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/jenis-solves-listeria-issue-working-towards-reopening

DavidF
    Participant

Hopefully I’ll be able to buy a pint again soon.

RBloodworth
    Participant

Well, if you’re looking for Cherry Lambic, you’re going to be S.O.L. Jeni’s hasn’t made that flavor for a couple of years now (it became too expensive to mass-produce). To be 100% honest, that was the point when Jeni’s lost its luster for me; the company seemed to be more focused on expanding its brand than creating a high-quality product. Then again, I was always a Denise’s guy myself…

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Well, if you’re looking for Cherry Lambic, you’re going to be S.O.L. Jeni’s hasn’t made that flavor for a couple of years now (it became too expensive to mass-produce). To be 100% honest, that was the point when Jeni’s lost its luster for me; the company seemed to be more focused on expanding its brand than creating a high-quality product. Then again, I was always a Denise’s guy myself…

I’m too busy enjoying their ice cream to worry about their overhead cost of ingredients.

I hope they slap a sticker on the pints that says something along the lines of “NOW 100% LISTERIA FREE”

But that might backfire :(

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Pay teenagers slave wages to make the “world’s greatest ice cream” and follow loose cleaning procedures minimally enforced by underpaid shiftleaders and “managers” and this was bound to happen. Shame they couldn’t see it coming.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 199 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: