Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Jeni's recall

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Jeni's recall

This topic contains 198 replies, has 63 voices, and was last updated by Jeffersin Jeffersin 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 199 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Salty Caramel is back tomorrow:

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Salty Carmel is back tomorrow:

For now, at least, the ship has kind of sailed for me. I may be won back, but not really thinking about or visiting Jeni’s these days at all.

ohbr
    Participant

I’ve been a few times over the last two weeks now that they have more than 5 flavor and have stopped pushing the Sweet Cream (‘The base we use in every ice cream flavor’) so heavily. We get it. You couldn’t make any favors so you’re selling frozen milk with sugar. Anyway… I’ve been brought back in. The ‘Salted Peanut Butter with Chocolate Fleck’ seems so much better than the original Buckeye State which it officially replaced. It seems to have more of a natural peanut taste than a peanut butter taste. Unfortunately though, they renamed the flavor to make it fit in line with the other flavor names taking some of the Ohio Pride out of the shops anywhere you go. Not sure the reasoning behind that to be honest. Were they losing business over the old name? I am also a big fan of the Rootbeer flavor. It’s a bit intense but worth it. Especially with vanilla.

I still wonder if they’ll ever get back to producing on their own. No updates in months. Releasing more flavors produced by other manufacturers. When will it become ‘Jeni’s, the Signature Line by Smith’s Dairy’ ?

wygand
    Participant

During our last visit to the Clintonville location, some of the “Magic” that made jeni’s so great still seemed to be missing. Not sure if it was the very limited flavor options, or something different about the atmosphere of the place. It was the first time I had ever really felt silly paying the premium that you pay for jeni’s. I am usually happy to pay for the experience, but something was missing. I do hope they get it figured out.

ohbr
    Participant

During our last visit to the Clintonville location, some of the “Magic” that made jeni’s so great still seemed to be missing. Not sure if it was the very limited flavor options, or something different about the atmosphere of the place… but something was missing. I do hope they get it figured out.

I know exactly what you mean. The first time it was the lack of flavors I thought, but most recently, to me at least, I thought it was the employees. They didn’t seem to be as into it either. I think the situation has taken a toll on them too.

sruckus
    Participant

I just discovered Whit’s myself. That, combined with Graeter’s and I don’t really crave Jeni’s these days. However, maybe when they get the Goat Cheese and Cherry flavor back…

Chrysee
    Chrysee
    Participant

Salty Carmel is back tomorrow:

And it’s being made by Smith and Krema Nut.

Supposedly a kitchen update is coming soon. But I’ll be waiting until they make their own products in house again.

GeeDee
    Participant

The current workers are probably salty (pun intended) because of how their fellow employees were treated after Shutdown #2.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

And it’s being made by Smith and Krema Nut.

The Krema part doesn’t bother me, I’d buy a flavor of ice cream based on Krema being part of it.

Nancy H
    Participant

The Krema part doesn’t bother me, I’d buy a flavor of ice cream based on Krema being part of it.

I love Krema. Not just for their great peanut butter. Their cashew butter is divine, as is their cayenne pepper peanut butter. Where else will you find people standing in line, at lunch time, for a PB&J and a glass of milk!

They also have some of the best sugar free items I have ever tasted.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

over Jeni’s, can we just stick a fork in them?

News
    Participant

Jeni’s Reopening Production Kitchen, Rehiring Production Staff
    August 30, 2015 6:00 am – Walker Evans

After two months of closure, Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams is ready to re-open their production kitchens. The company has been utilizing production facilities at Smith Dairy in Orrville, Ohio to produce some of their flavors and keep scoop shops partially stocked since mid-July, but has been unable to produce some of their more complex recipes without the use of their local kitchen facilities.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/jenis-reopening

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

So a prep kitchen, then? Not a production kitchen. Interesting move.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

This seems kinda like throwing in the towel and resorting to just cutting up cherries rather than actually making ice cream. Is it really that hard to prevent listeria, or do they just no longer have the capital to implement the changes they need to?

I guess the other option is that since Smiths is already supplying the milk, they may just be large enough to produce ice cream way more efficiently than Jenis could and that it makes business sense to outsource production. But if that were the case, you’d think they would have outsourced production from the beginning?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

So a prep kitchen, then? Not a production kitchen. Interesting move.

Also an R&D kitchen, FWIW.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 199 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: