Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Jeni's recall

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Jeni's recall

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 199 total)
  • Author

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Full disclosure: I laughed. Audibly.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

C’mon Jenni’s get your shit together.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Reddit is leaking

Yuck.

I dunno… I’m hardly a prude about comedy/humor, but a couple of people have lost their dogs in the past couple of days. I don’t know if making jokes at their dead pet’s expense is a cool thing to do.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I’ve owned dogs my entire life. I have one now, and had one pass away tragically a few months ago. Sorry if I found a tiny bit of black humor to be clever, despite its negative connotations. Nothing more.

truthbetold
    truthbetold
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ben wrote:</div>
    Reddit is leaking

Yuck.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mister Shifter wrote:</div>

I dunno… I’m hardly a prude about comedy/humor, but a couple of people have lost their dogs in the past couple of days. I don’t know if making jokes at their dead pet’s expense is a cool thing to do.

Keep it civil everyone. Let’s focus on the topic at hand; Jeni’s is in real trouble.

Hard to believe just 2 yrs ago we had Lessner and Bauer as the queen’s of the Columbus food scene. One has effectively been run out of town and the other is looking at the prospect of her entire business crumbling in the span of a few months.

sruckus
    Participant

Well they became obsessed with expanding instead of quality (including using GFS for most stuff now). From what I’ve read Bauer is merely a figure piece now anyway. Did she become so obsessed with the fame and her books that she lost interest in actually running a business? I don’t really understand why she needed to hire a CEO anyway. Then they raise their prices after the issues (including years of bad reports) came to light.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Running a business is a ton of work! I don’t fault them for hiring a CEO. I haven’t asked her, but perhaps she wanted to focus on the flavor creation and creative side and have help with the business side.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

…perhaps she wanted to focus on the flavor creation and creative side and have help with the business side.

I want to say that I remember her being quoted specifically in an interview somewhere stating this as the exact reason for hiring a CEO.

DouginCMH
    Participant

I don’t recall much criticism of Jeni’s in here before the initial listeria incident. Lots of Monday morning quarterbacking, near as I can tell.

As businesses grow, they need an organizational structure and talent mix that grows along with it and is appropriate to the size and complexity of the organization. This story, from last fall, gives a lot of info on the process Jeni’s went through:

http://www.columbusceo.com/content/stories/2014/10/jenis-splendid-ice-creams-grows-from-columbus-small-biz-to-mid-size-manufacturer.html

HarveyWallbanger
    Participant

Hard to believe just 2 yrs ago we had Lessner and Bauer as the queen’s of the Columbus food scene. One has effectively been run out of town and the other is looking at the prospect of her entire business crumbling in the span of a few months.

The culinary scene will be better without Lessner- the food would be poor by any other cities standards and her facilities were disgusting. I’d like to see Jeni’s reemerge back to its artisan roots, but without dominating the entire scene. It was nice having places like Denise’s ice cream and Hartzler Dairy scoop shop before Jeni pushed them out.

DouginCMH
    Participant

To be fair, I think Denise’s went away due to the owner’s health issues; he had a stroke. Jeni’s had nothing to do with it.

Some at CU had seemed to have other issues with him, as well:
    https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/denises-ice-cream-closed

My kids still talk about how much they miss Denise’s.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

The culinary scene will be better without Lessner- the food would be poor by any other cities standards and her facilities were disgusting. I’d like to see Jeni’s reemerge back to its artisan roots, but without dominating the entire scene. It was nice having places like Denise’s ice cream and Hartzler Dairy scoop shop before Jeni pushed them out.

I too think a return to real, honest, small batch goodness would be most welcome. The NYC/LA ice cream mega brand, I don’t imagine was necessarily her personal goal.

tolemac5050
    Participant

Might as well call it Jenny’s Ice Cream

Jeffersin
    Jeffersin
    Participant

Any further updates about their production facility reopening? Did they sell it?

DouginCMH
    Participant

Sell it? Was that rumored somewhere? Your post is the first I’d heard of that ‘possibility.’

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 199 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: