Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Jeni's recall

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Jeni's recall

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 199 total)
  • Author

HarveyWallbanger
    Participant

She needs to drop prices now that she’s using Smith Dairy for the base. Marketing it as supporting a 110 year old family business is fine, but it is a corporate dairy farm creating a massed produced product that’s cheaper and inferior to smaller dairy farms. Smuckers is fine 100 year old family jelly producer, but I would never pay $10 for a jar of it.

DouginCMH
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jeffersin wrote:</div>
    How to Survive a Crisis, by the Founder of Jeni’s Ice Creams

https://www.yahoo.com/food/how-to-survive-a-crisis-by-the-founder-of-jenis-124661863071.html

Has Jeni’s officially survived this crisis? They aren’t even making all of their ice cream and to my knowledge they may never get shelf space back at some of the retailers. Seems a little premature to be self proclaiming they are out of the woods on this one yet.

I’d say, no, they’ve obviously not officially survived this. Until they’re back in their own facility they’re functioning on what can’t really be a sustainable business model. That said, is this really “self proclaiming”? The article is by “Kerry Diamond, Editor in Chief, Yahoo Food.”

DouginCMH
    Participant

She needs to drop prices now that she’s using Smith Dairy for the base. Marketing it as supporting a 110 year old family business is fine, but it is a corporate dairy farm creating a massed produced product that’s cheaper and inferior to smaller dairy farms. Smuckers is fine 100 year old family jelly producer, but I would never pay $10 for a jar of it.

Is she using Smith Dairy for the “base” or as a temporary production facility? I,e., is this repackaged Smith Diary ice cream (with its ingredients) or Jeni’s ice cream produced in someone else’s facility (using Jeni’s ingredients)?

Jeni’s had already switched over to Smith Dairy as their milk and cream provider once their production out-grew what Snowville could provide. So there’s no change, at all, in the most basic of their base product.

GeeDee
    Participant

That said, is this really “self proclaiming”? The article is by “Kerry Diamond, Editor in Chief, Yahoo Food.”

The “Top 10” list printed is Jeni’s own & the article is titled — “How to Survive a Crisis, by the Founder of Jeni’s Ice Creams”

DouginCMH
    Participant

That said, is this really “self proclaiming”? The article is by “Kerry Diamond, Editor in Chief, Yahoo Food.”

The “Top 10″ list printed is Jeni’s own & the article is titled — “How to Survive a Crisis, by the Founder of Jeni’s Ice Creams”

So?

The article was written by Kerry Diamond, not Jeni’s. She obviously interviewed Jeni Britton Bauer for the piece, but Jeni didn’t write it. This person did:

https://www.yahoo.com/food/author/kerry-diamond

Editor in Chief, Yahoo Food
    Kerry Diamond
    Writer, restaurateur, and enthusiastic home cook, Kerry Diamond oversees Yahoo Food’s daily mix of recipes, news, interviews, and reviews. She is co-founder of the indie magazine Cherry Bombe and co-owner of Brooklyn’s Nightingale 9, Wilma Jean, and Smith Canteen. She believes in eating seasonally, supporting local farms, and making the most of your leftovers.

I don’t know what you’re getting at with the title. It’s arguing that Jeni’s represents a case study in how to survive a crisis. Which may or may not be a valid thesis; time will tell. But it certainly isn’t meant to imply that the article was penned by Jeni.

GeeDee
    Participant

So?

The article was written by Kerry Diamond, not Jeni’s. She obviously interviewed Jeni Britton Bauer for the piece, but Jeni didn’t write it. This person did:

Right. My understanding is the “issue” is whether Jeni is self-proclaiming. When Jeni writes her own top 10 list about getting out of said crisis then, yes, I think it qualifies as “self-proclaiming”.

No matter who is responsible for the coverage of or vehicle for Jeni’s self-proclamations.

I don’t know what you’re getting at with the title. It’s arguing that Jeni’s represents a case study in how to survive a crisis.

It is also printing a list, written by Jeni, about how to survive a/her crisis. That’s precisely where the self-proclamation comes in.

CbusBiz
    Participant

So?

Right. My understanding is the “issue” is whether Jeni is self-proclaiming. When Jeni writes her own top 10 list about getting out of said crisis then, yes, I think it qualifies as “self-proclaiming”.

No matter who is responsible for the coverage of or vehicle for Jeni’s self-proclamations.

I don’t know what you’re getting at with the title. It’s arguing that Jeni’s represents a case study in how to survive a crisis.

It is also printing a list, written by Jeni, about how to survive a/her crisis. That’s precisely where the self-proclamation comes in.

Precisely. Figured it was pretty clear from the article. Apparently not everyone who read it was able to comprehend that.

Chrysee
    Participant

I’m unhappy that they haven’t been as transparent this time around. The first time it happened, we were devastated and sympathetic and stood in line the day they reopened and promoted it on social media with the appropriate hashtags and all that jazz. We haven’t had any Jeni’s since. There’s been no update since the outsourcing and I hate to see new flavors being promoted on Instagram and not knowing who’s making them. I have nothing against Smith’s, but I’m not really interested in Jeni’s ice cream made by another company. I hope everything goes well for them and they survive this and get back to making their own product in their own facilities. But the way this second instance is being handled has left a bad taste in my mouth for now.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

The flavors on the website are sure limited and sad. No salty caramel, no brambleberry, no buckeye state?

They have a long way to go, but with closing the production kitchen and laying off its staff who knows.

Seems a stretch to even call it Jeni’s.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

I’m unhappy that they haven’t been as transparent this time around. The first time it happened, we were devastated and sympathetic and stood in line the day they reopened and promoted it on social media with the appropriate hashtags and all that jazz. We haven’t had any Jeni’s since. There’s been no update since the outsourcing and I hate to see new flavors being promoted on Instagram and not knowing who’s making them. I have nothing against Smith’s, but I’m not really interested in Jeni’s ice cream made by another company. I hope everything goes well for them and they survive this and get back to making their own product in their own facilities. But the way this second instance is being handled has left a bad taste in my mouth for now.

At the end of the day, she’s running a business. Constantly apologizing and pointing out the company’s shortcomings makes news when she doesn’t need to. Especially when you’re fighting an uphill battle to regain public trust. I appreciate that they were testing every batch, transparent when they caught it, and shut down production. And I don’t envy the amount of cost they’re sinking into fixing this twice. Jeni’s still has my support. 100%.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Seems a stretch to even call it Jeni’s.

That’s where I’m at with it. I’m rooting for them, they have been great for the city and produced an amazing product for a long time…but they aren’t right now. If they come back all the way, I’ll be there, but right now I can’t see spending that price for what they’re serving.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I heard they did a soft re-opening of the factory and were passing out samples at Wheeler dog park.

buckeyecpa
    Participant

I heard they did a soft re-opening of the factory and were passing out samples at Wheeler dog park.

Seems like a shitty joke to make.

Ben
    Participant

Reddit is leaking

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Reddit is leaking

full discloser, totally admit to stealing that from reddit.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 199 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: