Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Jeni's Ice Creams Powell Parking Drama

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Jeni’s Ice Creams Powell Parking Drama

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author

cc

I think it makes sense for Powell to make educated decisions concerning their parking policies. They are reviewing whether an oversight was made and Jeni’s was not seen as a ‘high use’ tenant (after other businesses voiced concern). I assume Jeni’s would want to be a good neighbor to the other local establishments, as it appears they are being in Clintonville.

I also don’t see Jeni’s quoted one way or another so ‘Jeni’s vs the City of Powell’ is a bit misleading. The article is about local businesses concerned about local parking policies and whether they are being enforced correctly.

When in Rome Powell…

chrisat4th

Thing with Grandview and the Short North is that there are a LOT of people who live nearby, and who can walk. Powell really does seem much more of a driving sort of place. How many people can *really* walk to downtown Powell easily? And how many, living in Powell, would even consider doing so?

Rockmastermike
    Participant

I’m sure if Powell is not interested in a Jeni’s shop there are plenty of communities who would be. *shrug*

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

cc wrote >>
    I also don’t see Jeni’s quoted one way or another so ‘Jeni’s vs the City of Powell’ is a bit misleading. The article is about local businesses concerned about local parking policies and whether they are being enforced correctly.

I didn’t intend the headline to be misleading. Judging from what I read in the article, it sounds like a general pushback from some citizens and some of the business community in Powell (which is what I meant by “The City of Powell”) against the concept of Jeni’s, which is a high-traffic highly-popular destination business setting up shop on that strip.

Maybe I’m just reading something between the lines that isn’t there, but I’m getting some serious “they’re too popular and too successful which means parking problems” vibe rather than a “our commercial strip stands to benefit from the increased foot-traffic that Jeni’s will bring”.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

futureman wrote >>
    Huh? How are the roads around the Short north and Grandview anyway like a typical country road surrounding downtown Powell?

They’re both narrow. They’re both high-traffic.

I didn’t say they were identical.

Just pointing out that some similarities exist and those challenges have been addressed in other communities.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

chrisat4th wrote >>
    Thing with Grandview and the Short North is that there are a LOT of people who live nearby, and who can walk. Powell really does seem much more of a driving sort of place. How many people can *really* walk to downtown Powell easily? And how many, living in Powell, would even consider doing so?

I’d love to see data on how many customers exist within a half-mile walk of each of the Jeni’s locations. I agree that Grandview or the Short North are probably a little bit denser, but I don’t think that Downtown Powell is quite as sprawling as the newer outer-edge developments in Powell.

Not sure of a good way to access that type of data though to compare. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Ok, so this is really starting to sound like Jeni’s Ice Creams vs Vince Margello…

Business owner says Jeni’s will add to parking woes
    By LAURA ENGLEHART
    Published: Tuesday, November 9, 2010

While some excitedly await the Friday, Nov. 12, opening of the newest Jeni’s ice cream store, a few downtown Powell business owners have opposed it.

The most vehement protests have come from developer Vince Margello, who owns property near the intersection of East Olentangy and Liberty streets.

READ MORE: http://www.columbuslocalnews.com/articles/2010/11/10/olentangy_valley_news/news/ovjenissid_20101109_1159am_5.txt

Tenzo
    Participant

WaaaaAAaaaaAAAaaaa
    More business, income and jobs in Powell.
    Wouldn’t want that.

Powell is working with Jeni’s which is good.
    I guess if Powell were business hostile they could curtail business. They did it enough there would be plenty of parking. I never have problems parking in the Westland Mall.

jungaroo

People can park a few blocks away and use the exercise. Jeez.

On a more serious note, the merchants in downtown Powell should consider this as an opportunity. If you have well-placed parking areas towards the edges of downtown, you can generate foot traffic between where people park and their ultimate destination. Someone heading to Jeni’s might see other shops on the way that catch their eye. Convert some of that car traffic and (supposed) parking woes into foot traffic.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

jungaroo wrote >>
    People can park a few blocks away and use the exercise. Jeez.
    On a more serious note, the merchants in downtown Powell should consider this as an opportunity. If you have well-placed parking areas towards the edges of downtown, you can generate foot traffic between where people park and their ultimate destination. Someone heading to Jeni’s might see other shops on the way that catch their eye. Convert some of that car traffic and (supposed) parking woes into foot traffic.

LOL… people WALKING a block? How cruel to even suggest such a horrible thing!

ToddAnders
    Blocked

Sounds to me like Mr. Margello owns a lot in an area that could use his parking spaces and more than likely wanted to goose Jeni’s on the rent to use those spaces, figuring he had her in a lurch.

Guess what cry baby? You don’t. Jeni’s – 1 Mr. Margello – 0

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    Not sure of a good way to access that type of data though to compare. ;)

TIGER census data in ARCGis would generate an attractive map to compare density in about 2.5 minutes.

Tenzo
    Participant

ToddAnders wrote >>
    Sounds to me like Mr. Margello owns a lot in an area that could use his parking spaces and more than likely wanted to goose Jeni’s on the rent to use those spaces, figuring he had her in a lurch.
    Guess what cry baby? You don’t. Jeni’s – 1 Mr. Margello – 0

+1
    I’d bet a Jeni’s sunday on that

thecandlelab
    Participant

We share the building with Jeni’s, and opened this week as well. A couple quick things:

1. Powell has SO MANY public spots within a block of our building, far more than in Grandview or the Short North or Clintonville.

2. Any community that doesn’t have a parking problem is one where you don’t want to open a business. Its a good thing that we have this problem – its why we (and Jeni’s) came to Powell. Its a walkable downtown with a good density of interesting retail and restaurant options.

3. This whole “these are my spaces and those are your spaces” debate is so weak and over-done. We want people to park in any spot they want, go to Local Roots for dinner, then our store to pour a candle, then over to Jeni’s for dessert, and then stroll around town to hit up the other shops. That’s how a walkable downtown is supposed to work. But the towing of cars from parking spots because they aren’t patronizing that specific business at that exact moment is short-sighted and makes it harder for all the businesses to attract customers.

asil
    Participant

Wow. Somebody really hates ice cream.

My husband works in Powell and we have family there so are actually in downtown Powell quite often at various times of day. I have NEVER EVER EVER had any trouble at all finding ample parking in downtown Powell. And although I haven’t been to the Clintonville location I’m pretty certain 10 parking spots are more than are available at any Jeni’s location.

Valet parking? Puh-leaze. I do hope Jeni’s causes a crazy newsworthy traffic jam upon opening – I know at least a dozen Powell residents/workers that are anxiously awaiting that day. But I truly don’t see how the shop could cause long term parking nightmares for residents and local shop owners. There’s a line at Jeni’s – guess we’ll have to visit the other shops downtown for a few minutes until it dies down. Wah.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE