Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Jeni's Expanding Across US

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Jeni's Expanding Across US

This topic contains 31 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by MichaelC MichaelC 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Press Release:
    Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams To Open Scoop Shop in Lakeview’s Southport Corridor
    May 14, 2013

Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams is proud to announce plans to open their first-ever scoop shop in Chicago.

Located at 3404 N. Southport Avenue in the heart of Lakeview’s family- and pedestrian-friendly Southport Corridor, the shop will open in August 2013 and feature all of the built-from-the-ground-up ice creams Time called “the best in America.”

Jeni Britton Bauer, who founded Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams in 2002 in Columbus, Ohio’s historic North Market, says opening a shop in vibrant, historic Lakeview “is a long-time dream coming true.”

“We are beyond excited to be opening in Chicago,” Jeni says. “We can’t wait to make and serve our ice creams to the community of Lakeview and beyond. I grew up in Illinois and have always dreamed of having a shop there. We are thrilled to be joining the amazing Chicago food scene, which simply can’t be topped.”

Jeni, whose family of shops includes 11 in Ohio and two in Nashville, Tenn., has honed her ice cream-making skills for more than 15 years.

In 2012, her first book, The New York Times best-seller Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams at Home, earned Jeni a James Beard Award. In its eighth printing, the book remains the go-to manual for making ice creams with a standard home machine. “No one makes ice cream like Jeni Britton Bauer,” proclaimed Food & Wine, while The Washington Post dubbed Jeni “an ice cream wizard.”

Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams—which mail orders pints of ultra-creamy, deeply flavorful, one-of-a-kind grass-grazed ice creams to an ever-increasing number of households coast to coast—is also served in select grocery stores and markets throughout Chicago and America. Jeni’s is available at more than 20 retail locations in Chicago, including Southport Grocery & Cafe, which is a short walk from Jeni’s new scoop shop.

Every single ice cream Jeni creates begins with luscious grass-grazed Ohio cream from the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. And nearly every main ingredient—real fruits and vegetables; unique wines; whiskeys; beers and liqueurs; honey; chocolate; vanilla—is provided directly from the source, then blended, baked, blended, peeled, chopped, skinned, or pulverized by hand in Jeni’s kitchen.

“We make everything we can from scratch, with many of our ingredients provided to us by farmers and producers in the Midwest or shipped directly from international partners,” Jeni says. “And our scoop shops, with our impeccable service, serve as a true reflection of the work we put into our great ice creams.

“Our flavors change constantly which makes our stores the epicenter of our company. We have signature flavors, flavors that return each year, and limited-edition ‘pop-up’ flavors that are here today, gone tomorrow. You can always get old standbys and make new discoveries in our shops, which makes it fun for the customers and for us every day, all year.”

geoyui
    Participant

and so it begins …

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I have probably six flavors at home right now, I can’t help myself.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

geoyui said:
    and so it begins …

I thought it began when they expanded to Cleveland. Or maybe it was Nashville. ;)

buckette13

Snarf said:
    I have probably six flavors at home right now, I can’t help myself.

Lol, My freezer is full of it. One of my friends printed this out and taped it to the freezer door. ;)

gotta luv the 70’s

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Brown Butter Almond Brittle set to takeover the nation.

geoyui
    Participant

Walker said:
    I thought it began when they expanded to Cleveland. Or maybe it was Nashville. ;)

Chicago is a totally different animal, and that is an absolutely good thing :)

columbusguy20
    columbusguy20
    Participant

Opening up a store in a prime market like Chicago is a very well-earned accomplishment.

luketenley

I love seeing companies grow but it’ll be sad to see them all over the place. It is awesome to know they are a local company.

gramarye
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:
    Brown Butter Almond Brittle set to takeover the nation.

With a little help from Buckeye State (I know the day is coming when they’ll probably rename it, but dang, that stuff is good regardless of the name), goat cheese w/ roaster red cherries, pistachio & honey, and a few other delectable delicacies.

Sweet corn black raspberry is yummy but it starts out so hard that I practically have to let it melt for 10 minutes first to make it edible.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

1 pistachio honey
    2 brown butter almond brittle
    3 dark chocolate
    4 banana cajeta
    5 hmm…

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I still stand by the “Pash N’ Stache”:

Pistachio Honey with Passionfruit Yogurt. After all the years of working at Jeni’s it still blows my mind. Customers would try it and that was that.

billbix

Lol, I am the run on the mill Salty Caramel kind of guy. I assume that is the new Vanilla.

JazzFestAllNite
    Participant

Jeni’s is going to blow up in Chicago. I just walked past the new location on Saturday when I was in town visiting family. Southport is a very hip stretch and they are right next to the train stop.

Mmm… Whiskey & Pecans.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Jeni’s in the NYTimes for its beer-flavored ice cream!

Mixing alcohol and dairy isn’t revolutionary. Liquor has long shown up in bourbon milkshakes and rum-raisin ice cream. But as artisan ice-cream makers seek local ingredients that push the envelope, craft beers offer new dimensions, said Jeni Britton Bauer, the founder of Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams in Columbus, Ohio.

“Beer can help bring some bitterness and dryness to an ice cream, which is traditionally sweeter than other desserts,” she said. “It has this great functionality.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: