Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Jeni's Ice Creams in the June 2008 Food and Wine magazine

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Jeni’s Ice Creams in the June 2008 Food and Wine magazine

This topic contains 17 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  ilovethiscity 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

You heard it here first!

Great article that puts Columbus on the map!

Congrats Jeni Britton

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Very nice! Glad to see her getting the well-deserved national attention! :D

AmyD
    Participant

wow! that’s so wonderful! hooray jeni!

Charly

chaptal
    Participant

Great press and congratulations.

I am, however, a bit concerned about the use of gelatin in the frozen yogurts. A good friend of mine is a vegetarian. Shoot. I sent her the article and tried to break the bad news to her.

Charly

FYI, gelatin is not an ingredient in the yogurts in Jeni’s Stores. The reason it was used in these recipes is to accomodate average home ice cream machines.

(Recipe development process mentioned here:

http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/mouthing-off/2008/5/2/Revolutionary-Homemade-Ice-Creams

)

I would encourage your friend to experiment without gelatin and see how it works – part of the fun is in the experimentation! Frankly, having tasted most of the 75 recipes attempted, they ranged from very good to excellent to incredible. Little tweaks might work well – Cheers!

C

Anonymous

I became so addicted to the Queen City Cayenne ice cream that I broke my budget (7 bucks for a pint– X many (many!) pints really hurt!). So here’s my Poor Man’s Jeni’s recipe: Buy a half gallon of UDF chocolate and cayenne pepper powder, a few scoops in a big bowl, then add a spoonful of chili pepper power on top, then stir! Jeni’s version is much better, but if you’re an addict and don’t have the cash to continually feed it, this ain’t too bad.

chaptal
    Participant

Charly wrote FYI, gelatin is not an ingredient in the yogurts in Jeni’s Stores. The reason it was used in these recipes is to accomodate average home ice cream machines.

(Recipe development process mentioned here:

http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/mouthing-off/2008/5/2/Revolutionary-Homemade-Ice-Creams

)

I would encourage your friend to experiment without gelatin and see how it works – part of the fun is in the experimentation! Frankly, having tasted most of the 75 recipes attempted, they ranged from very good to excellent to incredible. Little tweaks might work well – Cheers!

C

Thank you very much for clearing this up Charly!

Among my many favorite flavors is now the Mango Lassi. It nursed a hangover. Kid’s portion in a cup with a spoon.

Other favorites include the lemon yogurt with blueberry & the strawberry buttermilk

I want to try the new chocolate with specks

The Bexley store is beautiful. I dig the steel stools in that color. It’s so cool it’s cold. If I only new how to post pics on here from my new iPhone. Go check it out. Walker you are close!

KSquared

Please let me know if any of you find the elusive Bananas Cajeta! It’s become my white whale.

jentothehen

Belgian Milk Chocolate is my jam…

oh yeah, and my sister and I make the icecream sandwiches there! Yay employer!

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Jeni’s is the newest Bon Appetit, page 82/83.

Feature on best “anything” state by state.

I like Jeni’s and I like Bon Appetit.

Cooking Light sucks.
    I think Gourmet kind of sucks.
    Food and Wine, ehh ok.

Saveur is really good!!

Thank you.
    Snaf

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Wow. Is Columbus in every issue of Bon Appetit?

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Congrats Jeni and crew!

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Jeni’s was featured in the latest issue of Saveur. Article about making ice cream, her recipe for the ice cream base and four flavor recipes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Join us for the Beer & Pretzel Pairing Party on November 3rd featuring Combustion Brewing & Happy Little Treats!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO