Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Jeffrey Place - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Jeffrey Place – News & Updates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 98 total)
  • Author

cbus11

Walker said:
    So they’re larger homes? What’s suburban about that? Large homes can be found in plenty of urban neighborhoods…

Obviously, there are larger homes originally owned by the upper class (the 1%?) in urban areas, they also had servants and often carriage houses. If you add ‘matched a lot of historic Harrison West’, you would be wrong. Wagenbrenner was following the trend of bigger is better in the more suburban areas. Since then, they have been following a smaller, more dense, urban footprint.

Regardless, at closer scrutiny, jpizzow is looking more at the apartments at Harrison Park.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Welcome to Jeffrey Place…

heresthecasey
    Participant

Why Papyrus!?? WHY?

Hi Everyone, I was thinking about moving in to the Walden Lofts in January. I did read a comment earlier about a lot of problems he was experiencing with structural issues. Does anyone else have these problems? How’s the safety in the area? I would appreciate any help you guys can provide. Thanks so much

futureman
    Participant

Strange they weren’t allowed to build 4 story building …

Jeffrey residences won’t tower over neighborhood under revised plan
    Premium content from Business First by Brian R. Ball, Staff reporter
    Date: Friday, September 14, 2012, 6:00am EDT

Developer Mark Wagenbrenner has altered his plans for the first phase of housing construction at the former Jeffrey Manufacturing Co. site in Columbus, proposing to build three-story residential buildings rather than four-story complexes.

The president of Wagenbrenner Development Inc. outlined the conceptual plan for 267 rental units and 73 for-sale townhomes on 7 acres at a special meeting of the Italian Village Commission on Sept. 11. The company had worked much of the year securing approval for buildings taller than some commissioners wanted to see at the edge of a historic urban neighborhood.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2012/09/14/jeffrey-residences-wont-tower-over.html

dru
    Participant

@futureman – I don’t have a Biz First subscription and the notes from the meeting aren’t up on the Commission’s web page yet. Was there any mention in the article of when they anticipate actually building anything?

surber17
    Participant

You have a multi-story building right across the street, what the hell is wrong with 4 stories!

futureman
    Participant

dru said:

@futureman
    – I don’t have a Biz First subscription and the notes from the meeting aren’t up on the Commission’s web page yet. Was there any mention in the article of when they anticipate actually building anything?

This coming March!

“Wagenbrenner said he remains optimistic that apartment designer Architectural Alliance and townhouse designer BBCO Design LLC will work out acceptable looks so that construction can start in March.”

FireEngine
    Participant

futureman said:
    Strange they weren’t allowed to build 4 story building …

Weren’t allowed or didn’t want to?

Four stories required a fire standpipe system and a host of other fire protection requirements. A pretty significant cost. For a three story building, the requirements a much less severe and costly.

futureman
    Participant

FireEngine said:

Four stories required a fire standpipe system and a host of other fire protection requirements. A pretty significant cost. For a three story building, the requirements a much less severe and costly.

Italian Village commissioners wanted a smaller building –

The company [Wagenbrenner] had worked much of the year securing approval for buildings taller than some commissioners wanted to see at the edge of a historic urban neighborhood.

“I appreciate the buildings having come down in scale and massing,” said Commissioner David Cooke, who represents the Italian Village Society on the zoning and development panel.”

columbusmike
    Participant

FireEngine said:

Sort of….it depends mostly on the construction materials and the size of each floor. Apartment buildings can be 4 floors without fire suppression; however, fire protection allows for an increase in height and size….so that very well could be their problem if they are planning a large complex.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Is Italian Village against density and height!?

I really hope they stick with the more modern theme of the existing townhomes and lofts. I’m not sure that Waggenbrenner has it in them though judging from what they’ve put up around town so far.

jbcmh81
    Participant

It amazes me how backwards these commissions can be. Why wouldn’t they want quality construction and more density? This would only help businesses and increase the profile of the neighborhood. How is one more floor going to be detrimental to the historic nature of the neighborhood? They could do buildings twice the height and all it would do is make for a more vibrant area. Stupid and shortsighted.

columbusmike
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    It amazes me how backwards these commissions can be. Why wouldn’t they want quality construction and more density? This would only help businesses and increase the profile of the neighborhood. How is one more floor going to be detrimental to the historic nature of the neighborhood? They could do buildings twice the height and all it would do is make for a more vibrant area. Stupid and shortsighted.

When I said construction materials I meant concrete/steel vs wood. Just because the buildings are shorter does not mean they are lesser quality.

But I agree, I don’t see any reason why this area couldn’t be 4 stories. That’s the problem with commissions. They are often filled with people who mean well for their neighborhood, but don’t really know how to visualize the end product. This is why we need form based codes instead of neighborhood commissions, design review boards, etc. It takes the subjectivity out of the design/construction process and saves time and money.

mbeaumont
    Participant

I caught the very end of something on WBNS news tonight about Jeffrey Place. Did anyone catch it? I saw a map with an icon listed as Jeffrey Park and the headline on the bottom of the screen said “New Development News for Short North”.

They also mentioned something about Elford Development being involved and that they were working on the Fireproof Site and that they were presenting something tonight at the Italian Village Commission meeting (which I wasn’t able to attend).

Anyway, anyone catch the full story?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 98 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: