Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Jeffrey Park - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Jeffrey Park – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 226 total)
  • Author

InnerCore
    Participant

Walker said:
    While, I’m not a planner, I do understand the need for proper planning.

That being said, no plan is foolproof. Eventually you have find some sort of middle ground between what is ideal and what is achievable. And you have to take a gamble based on what you think the future might hold and where trends are headed and take a shot in the dark.

You don’t build a single lane road knowing that you’ll need a 4 lane road in the future. Especially when if you’re going to build build right up against the road so you can’t easily expand it in the future.

Walker said:
    I understand the situation you’ve described, and I can tell you that it doesn’t apply at all to the situation that we’re discussing here.

If Jeffrey Park is built out entirely residential and a demand for office space spikes, there’s plenty of room to grow inward into vacant or underutilized space in Downtown before needing to go further out (beyond 270?). Even if new office space were built further out from Jeffrey Place (Weinland Park? Milo-Grogan?) it would still be urban infill and not sprawl.

Again you seem to be going from point a to point b and not realizing that you’ll eventually get to point Z. Yes there are additional sites for retail, office, etc. But the problem is that there won’t be enough space for an ADEQUATE amount of all these uses to create an urban walkable environment. Meaning people wont able to live, work and shop withing a reasonable distance from their primary residence. Building a suburb near downtown is a lot better than expand the urban boundary to build one, but still not ideal.

Walker said:
    And again, planning is great, but sometimes you have to think about this in the context of actually living in a place on a day to day basis and not from the 40,000 foot view that city planning consultants often take. My dentist is in German Village, near where I used to live. I kept using the same dentist even though I moved into a different neighborhood. When I go in for dentist appointments twice a year I either ride the bus or drive my car. And it’s not a big deal because it’s twice a year and only two miles away from home. If my dentist were located on my street, I wouldn’t visit them anymore often than I do now.

The dentist was just an example. It could be your dry cleaner, day care, local hardware store, tax accountant, church, etc…

Sure many of the places we go we only go year or monthly. But if you have to drive to pretty much everything except restaurants and bars then you really don’t have a walkable environment. You have a suburb where you can walk to the Bar. This will be no different than Upper Arlington only slightly more dense.

For example if you look at the walkscore you need to have a score of at least 90 to be considered an area where you can live without a car. And the grocery option that is used for Jeffrey place is a UDF. How many people see UDF as a legitimate option to buy groceries?

As planned the development will do great. And the area will continue to get much better. It’s just not good foresight in terms of planning.

This is a suburban style development, it will encourage suburban style residents. These residents won’t be inclined to use transit, thereby reducing/prolonging the chance for new transit. And will eventually become very expensive homes unattainable for most residents.

I just checked the local zoning. If you look at where Jeffrey place is and you want to add commercial along 4th then you have to go all the way up 4th ave. Pretty much the entire area is zoned R-4 which allows for residential and a couple other uses like a library, school, church or day care. The zoning pretty much doesn’t even allow mixed use.

This is a case where since nothing is there now and local people want growth this project looks great from a local perspective but then nationally people are looking at it and it doesn’t measure up to what’s being built elsewhere.

mrpoppinzs

Realistically, I think most people would consider .5 miles to be the maximum range for walking to a grocery store. That said, between the SN Kroger, the VV Giant Eagle, the New Giant Eagle by the Grandview Yard, the downtown North Market & Hills Market, and the looming Timken Walmart Super Center there will be many options within a very short drive.

InnerCore
    Participant

mrpoppinzs said:
    Realistically, I think most people would consider .5 miles to be the maximum range for walking to a grocery store. That said, between the SN Kroger, the VV Giant Eagle, the New Giant Eagle by the Grandview Yard, the downtown North Market & Hills Market, and the looming Timken Walmart Super Center there will be many options within a very short drive.

That’s exactly my point. Now think about that. Right now the Short North is pretty much the hottest up and coming urban area in all of Columbus. And even in this area not only can you not even walk to a grocery store but the newest 40+ acre, multiphase development in the area is building in a manner that’s not likely to change that for years if not a decade. If anything this development should be constructed in a manner in which a smaller grocer like a trader joe’s could be located within it.

mrpoppinzs

I am not sure what the population requirements for supporting even a small Trader Joe’s would be given the competition in the area. I remember filling out a survey for the downtown Hill’s market (similar in size to a trader joe’s) and I believe they were planning on customers coming from a 3 mile radius. That is a lot of non-walkers.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

InnerCore said:
    Right now the Short North is pretty much the hottest up and coming urban area in all of Columbus. And even in this area not only can you not even walk to a grocery store…

False. South end of the Short North has Giant Eagle. North end of the Short North has Kroger. Many Short North residences fall within easy walking distance of these two stores.

drtom1234
    Participant

At a certain point, you’re arguing just for the sake of the argument. I can count on absolutely zero fingers how many “perfect” developments have been done in Columbus. But clearly perfection is not a requirement. Great, or even good development, is a lot better than an empty field. Let’s just appreciate that the developers are willing to put millions of dollars into the project, and watch how it all plays out.

tree_sketcher
    Participant

IC: I think you’re missing the point of this project. Is it as dense as “other” local or national projects? Of course not. Is it an appropriate density for this area? I think most would agree that it is. Residential density in this area will bring demand for retail. That may require rezoning and redevelopment of adjacent properties, but that happens all the time. Will north fourth become a regional retail destination? No. Could it support corner stores sprinkled throughout like German Village or other relatively dense neighborhoods in other cities? I think so.

I personally think we want to attract those folks who prefer ‘suburban’ housing into the first ring neighborhoods so they don’t choose greenfield housing in the various ‘burbs and cause more sprawl. In this case and many others they are not displacing other residents because the site is vacant.

I will concede that these new residents may not initially rely on transit as their primary means of getting around. However, additional density that is created in the “inner core” will induce more traffic and create less available parking. This in turn will increase demand for alternatives like transit, cycling, etc. I would love to see more effective transit be built before this happens, but it seems as though there is not enough political will or public interest in that right now.

Despite all the progress in the last 10+ years, Columbus is still not that dense and has vast areas of underdeveloped and vacant land within the 270 loop. Also, some neighborhoods are increasing in value. But there are still many that are currently declining or are stagnant.

If we really focused on densely developing the loop, IMO it would take 30+ years before we even started to see it ‘built out’ with property values increasing to the point of pushing lower income populations outwards. While JP is a large (and great) project, its really a drop in the bucket if you look at Columbus as a whole.

billbix

I would really be interested in what the townhouses will sell for? Does anyone have any information?

News
    Participant

Walden Lofts apartments in Italian Village get new owner
    Premium content from Business First by Brian R. Ball, Staff reporter
    Date: Friday, January 4, 2013

A 30-unit apartment building in Italian Village, once pitched as a high-end condominium but left to languish amid money woes, has been sold to a Westerville real estate investor specializing in troubled assets.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2013/01/04/languishing-apartments-in-italian.html

mrpoppinzs

Subscription required :(

I hear that building has a lot of issues.

ntn
    ntn
    Participant

What’s the latest on the Jeffrey from the super secret meeting at Seventh Sons last night?

The mockups looked pretty spectacular!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

surber17
    Participant

I think one big note from the meeting was that they are are looking at a June timeline to break ground on the first apartments.

dru
    Participant

surber17 said:
    I think one big note from the meeting was that they are are looking at a June timeline to break ground on the first apartments.

and the models for the fee simple homes

ntn
    ntn
    Participant

Walker said:
    Secret?!? Why didn’t you RSVP? ;)

Modern Architecture in a Historic Neighborhood – Thur March 7th

How in the world did I not notice this!?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 226 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: