Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Jazz bar in Columbus?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife Jazz bar in Columbus?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • Author

Core_Models

Fact is, there has been successful jazz in Columbus over the years, there just isn’t any currently. Major Chord was actually quite successful for quite a while and failed because of mismanagement and deeper financial issues (which shouldn’t be a shock to anyone who knows anything about Jerry Hammond).

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>
    Major Chord was actually quite successful for quite a while and failed because of mismanagement and deeper financial issues (which shouldn’t be a shock to anyone who knows anything about Jerry Hammond).

Heh, I don’t know, as I recall, he did have a pretty innovative funding method.

Something along the lines of, “buy into my club and your zoning and permitting issues vanish”

I did actually go there once, and it was very nice. Would it fly now? Perhaps, there are a lot a restaurants down there with very little in the way of entertainment. I’m betting it would depend a lot upon programming and price point.

somebuckeye
    Participant

The 501 was a good jazz bar, but the location became too damn trendy! Too many non-jazz fans would wander in there to watch the Buckeyes and listen to Bon Jovi.
    Dick’s has great music now and then, but it’s a dive and not the best location.
    I think Short North would be a good location for a well promoted club. Downtown would be cool, but there’s no way it would stay open, we can barely get restaurants down there.

I don’t think a jazz/blues club is a good idea. Columbus has too many blues clubs and musicians altogether. Whatever it is, the prices will have to stay low, no matter how good the music is. Also, I used to enjoy going to the Ravari Room to see Tony Monaco play his B3, but 10pm shows got to be too late for me.

dancer3151

I host Jazz Sunday on WCBE, used to work at the 5:01 and was involved at the Music Hall. If you want to talk more about this, contact me on Facebook or through the WCBE website and we can grab some coffee. One of my favorite topics!

Gail

PS- Whoever says we don’t have tremendous local jazz talent in Columbus will have to get through me. You obviously are a novice listener but I’ll be happy to steer you some stellar performances.

catnfiddle
    Participant

Gail, LOVE your show!

Raoul Duke
    Participant

Someone mentioned the Dell, it was a great jazz club in it’s time. It was on Parson’s where Carabar is currently keeping the live music tradition alive. The Dell introduced tapas before anyone here knew what they were, but evolved into more of a music club & gave up on the food. I saw Jim Carroll do a spoken word performance there (Tiny Tortures is a classic). Columbus does have some great jazz talent and a tradition from Rahsaan Roland Kirk and Rusty Bryant to Hank Marr and Tony Monaco. Here’s a local jazz link to check out:
    [url=http://www.jazzcolumbus.com/]http://www.jazzcolumbus.com/[/url]

Aaron Marshall
    Participant

Dick’s Den is the only real jazz place in town.
    It’s cheap drinks and friendly and $4 cover.

I heard Von Jazz has a pretty good atmosphere and is a fun time but I also heard the music is more of a smooth jazz and that’s not what I like to hear.

Brett Burleson is playing this Saturday @ Dick’s Den and it should be a pretty good show.

enigmaco
    Participant

Be nice to have a jazz club again, everything seems to be geared towards rock, or bad hip hop and rap.

colrex7

To me, it really seems like Columbus could support another jazz club. With OSU and other colleges with good music departments, I think there is a great respect for jazz music in Columbus.

I think the current problem is lack of promotion and a location that is visible and fitting. I am like obsessed with this city, but have never heard of any of the places mentioned on here until now. I LOVE jazz music, and I really think Columbus can support an EXCELLENT jazz club. Actually I don’t think it would…I know it would!

lisathewaitress
    Participant

I am always surprised that we don’t have a good jazz bar here, or that when they open they don’t survive. I am constantly fielding questions from restaurant diners asking where they can go hear live music after dinner. Not rock bands, but just nice bars with good jazz. Seems as though one of those would do really well in the short north area. Clintonville has Dick’s Den, but it’s a little far for people who are staying downtown.

scornflakes

lisathewaitress wrote >>
    I am always surprised that we don’t have a good jazz bar here, or that when they open they don’t survive. I am constantly fielding questions from restaurant diners asking where they can go hear live music after dinner. Not rock bands, but just nice bars with good jazz. Seems as though one of those would do really well in the short north area. Clintonville has Dick’s Den, but it’s a little far for people who are staying downtown.

It’s been mentioned several times in this thread, but, in my opinion, it can’t be said enough: Barrister Hall was an authentic Columbus treasure. It hit the sweet spot that a good jazz club needs to hit, in that it was somewhat upscale and somewhat seedy all at once. It achieved the timeless, American big city cool quality of mid-20th century jazz without coming across as contrived, which is one of the big problems with a lot of the newer establishments in the city. One could walk in with their dredlocked, hip-hop obsessed friends, sit at the bar and talk to a lawyer with a gold Rolex around his wrist while he sipped Johnny Walker, then sit at a table and talk with a girl who could have stepped out of a French New Wave film and an old hippie professor in threadbare jacket, all the while listening to anything from Afro-pop to acid to trip-hop to a trio of OSU marching band members who came down from campus to play Coltrane and Davis classics. And the bar staff was great. It was great fun to put on a cheap black suit and tie, go to Barrister Hall, listen to whatever jazz act was up on stage, and drink ’til 2am. When that place closed, it definitely left a hole in the city’s cultural landscape.

Rastapasta

^^ that sounds awesome, reminds me of my favorite bar in Cleveland. I’d be happy even finding a decent cocktail bar/atmosphere.

Any possibility of anyone bringing Barrister Hall back to life? Its been awhile since I’ve been in that area…bu last I checked that building was vacant.

scornflakes

abstract_plane wrote >>
    Any possibility of anyone bringing Barrister Hall back to life? Its been awhile since I’ve been in that area…bu last I checked that building was vacant.

With management who have a love of the music, an appreciation of the history of Columbus jazz, and the confidence to not be heavy-handed with creating a “theme,” it would be so worth it. There would be certain things that would necessarily be different as Barrister Hall was a scotch and cigar bar, and ostensibly it was a casualty of the smoking ban. But who knows if that’s the whole story of why they gave it up. Nevertheless, something like it (albeit without the cigars) on the north end of GV would be welcome.

And another great thing about that location was the upstairs lounge area that it allowed. That was a great space for private gatherings or just, you know, lounging.

JazzFestAllNite
    Participant

Schoolboy wrote >>
    barrister hall was great
    loved that place
    however, half off their revenue was derived from cigar sales
    had i known that the smoking ban would have taken out my favorite venue of all time, i would have never voted for it
    still, smoking and jazz goes together
    without smoking a lot of jazz goers won’t come out

Didn’t the smoking ban take effect in ’05? Barrister had been in and out of business well before that. Great bar though, I miss it as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.