Messageboard - Columbus Festivals

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Jazz & Rib Fest 2010 - July 23 & 24

Home Forums Events Columbus Festivals Jazz & Rib Fest 2010 – July 23 & 24

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Press Release:

Jazz & Rib Fest Headlining Artists Announced

The 31st annual Jazz & Rib Fest, presented by the Columbus Recreation and Parks Department, returns this summer to the Arena District. McFerson Commons and North Bank Park stages will anchor the event while the Jazz Café stage at North Bank Pavilion will feature intimate performances set against the riverfront skyline. The aroma of hot ribs and sounds of cool jazz will fill the air on July 23 and 24 from 11 a.m. – 10 p.m., and July 25 from 11 a.m. – 8 p.m. Admission is free.

Jazz & Rib Fest will offer a diverse lineup of artists guaranteed to satisfy the cravings of any jazz connoisseur. Performances will feature internationally acclaimed artists including:

RnR featuring Rick Braun and Richard Elliot: The exciting collaboration between smooth jazz heavyweights, trumpeter Rick Braun and saxophonist Richard Elliot, RnR is a double dose of hot funk and cool vibes. With a massive catalogue of chart-topping radio hits, Braun cut his teeth as member of the band War while Elliot honed his soulful chops with Tower of Power.

Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue: Musical powerhouse Troy “Trombone Shorty” Andrews is a rare artist who can draw both the unqualified respect of jazz legends and deliver a high-energy show capable of mesmerizing international rock stars and audiences alike.

Ali Jackson Quartet: A renowned drummer, Ali Jackson has performed and recorded extensively with some of the world’s finest musicians including Wynton Marsalis, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Aretha Franklin, George Benson and Harry Connick Jr.

Alfredo Rodriguez Trio: In his first year since moving to the United States, 24-year-old Cuban pianist Alfredo Rodriguez has astonished audiences in capacity shows across the country. His debut album with legendary music producer Quincy Jones is scheduled to be released in July.

Tito Puente Jr.: Son of the Mambo King, legendary Latin percussionist, composer and arranger, Tito Puente Jr. continues to wow audiences on his journey to keep the legacy of his late father alive, and expose his unique musical style to a new generation of fans.

Columbus Jazz Orchestra: Under the direction of Byron Stripling, Columbus Jazz Orchestra is considered one of the world’s finest jazz orchestras and a model for success, presenting big band jazz and world-renowned guest artists to thousands each year.

For a complete performance schedule including local and regional artists, dates, times and venues, visit http://www.hotribscooljazz.org.

Jazz & Rib Fest is presented by the Columbus Recreation and Parks Department and made possible through the generous support of American Electric Power, Anheuser-Busch, Smooth Jazz 103.5 WJZA, The CW on WWHO-TV, The Ohio Lottery, Crowne Plaza, Medco, State Farm and ASCAP.

Calendar Information – 2010 Jazz & Rib Fest

Date & Time: Friday, July 23, 11 a.m. – 10 p.m.

Saturday, July 24, 11 a.m. – 10 p.m.

Sunday, July 25, 11 a.m. – 8 p.m.

Location: The Arena District: North Bank Park, McFerson Commons, and Spring & Long Streets in downtown Columbus

Description: Featured artists at the 2010 Jazz & Rib Fest will include: RnR featuring Rick Braun and Richard Elliot; Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue; Ali Jackson Quartet; Alfredo Rodriguez; Trio Tito Puente Jr.; Columbus Jazz Orchestra

Information: http://www.hotribscooljazz.org or (614) 645-3800

jazzypants

Trombone Shorty is so awesome!!!! I’m so excited they have him. He was in columbus a few months ago and it was like New Orleans + James Brown + Lenny Kravitz + Prince + ‘crazy shit I can do with a Trombone’ + ‘I can do circular breathing that’s actually entertaining’ + Kenny G can suck it = O.M.G. He turned the Lincoln Theatre into a big dance party, which I didn’t think could happen in that venue.

If you think you don’t like Jazz, but you want to go to the ribfest, you should go to this set more than any other. And if you do like jazz, you’ll already be there anyway :)

Tenzo
    Participant

[quote]smooth jazz heavyweights[/quote]

so much wrong in that.

[quote]Kenny G can suck it = O.M.G. He turned the Lincoln Theatre into a big dance party, which I didn’t think could happen in that venue.[/quote]

I’d rather have my balls pounded flat with a wooden mallet than go to a Kenny G concert.

bursell

Snooooooze!

Let me know when they book Sonny Rollins for the festival. Then I might go…

jazzypants

Tenzo wrote
    [quote]Kenny G can suck it = O.M.G. He turned the Lincoln Theatre into a big dance party, which I didn’t think could happen in that venue.[/quote]
    I’d rather have my balls pounded flat with a wooden mallet than go to a Kenny G concert.

who wouldn’t rather have their balls pounded flat than go to a Kenny G concert? (but you know, i think the night he played was one of the largest crowds ever for the ribfest… blech!)

jazzypants

Trombone Shorty is going to be featured tonight at 9pm on WCBE 90.5 FM – in case you’re not doing anything else on a Friday night at 9pm. But anyway you can hear what a crazy wunderkind he is.

Program: American Roots
    http://americanroutes.publicradio.org/

lifeliberty
    Participant

Friday night, 9:15 AEP stage Trombone Shorty

Tenzo
    Participant

This is the highlight of the summer for me.
    Last year the ‘Jazz Cafe’ stage was well hidden behind the North Bank glass house. It also had the best Jazz as up and commers tried to make their mark.

bjones7
    Participant

This will be my 1st year going and I was wondering about parking? Is it bad? Will I find a spot?

Seeing I live in the burbs (wish I didn’t and/or COTA would provide more options!), is it better to park at a local route-park & ride, then take the bus down? OR add to the air pollution some more and drive to the event? What I’m saying is, it would honestly be AS much money to ride the bus down vs park downtown(I’m taking 4 people downtown). The cleaner option is to take the bus down(yes I know), the quicker option is car.

Thanks!

lifeliberty
    Participant

I’m heading down tonight for T Shorty at the AEP stage(Eastern-most stage) I planned on parking at the Hyatt and walking a few blocks. I think this would be easiest to exit afterwards. i assumed the Nationwide garages will be packed and thus hard to exit afterwards. But other garages are the one behind Mongolian BBQ, the Arena parking lot, the garage just South of the North Market on Vine, and I think there are some at Marconi and Spring. there’s going to be some walking involved with all of them, so plan accordingly.

vestanpance
    Participant

I feel bad for the guys working next to their big smokers. HOT

mt448

We braved the heat last night, and to be honest, there was a pretty decent breeze that kept us cool. It did not begin to get crowded at all until about 9ish. Trombone Shorty was awesome, and so was the band we listened to on the North Bank (very breezy there!). The ribs were great, the beer was overpriced (ehh…who cares), and if you park in a garage for 10 bucks, it is an easy in and out. The volunteers who worked all the beer tents and that were doing clean-up were awesome! I am pretty sure I am headed back today with my gf’s. Def a great time. and…great jazz!

DavidF
    Participant

bjones7 wrote >>
    This will be my 1st year going and I was wondering about parking? Is it bad? Will I find a spot?
    Seeing I live in the burbs (wish I didn’t and/or COTA would provide more options!), is it better to park at a local route-park & ride, then take the bus down? OR add to the air pollution some more and drive to the event? What I’m saying is, it would honestly be AS much money to ride the bus down vs park downtown(I’m taking 4 people downtown). The cleaner option is to take the bus down(yes I know), the quicker option is car.
    Thanks!

We parked in the garage by the Arena Grand. Easy in, easy out. Cost us all of $3. Not sure if that will be the case today, but we were pleasantly surprised.

The breeze by the river made it feel much cooler, and I enjoyed the layout of everything. Very spread out and easy to get around.

Oh, and they are renting canoes and kayaks for $10. Great way to beat the heat.

GBKS
    Participant

We went yesterday as well and it was really cool. I also recommend parking in the garage at the Arena Grand Theatre, it’s only three bucks and we found a spot on the second floor.

Make sure to bring umbrellas and/or sunscreen like some of the people in [url=http://www.nowincolumbus.com/post/69]this picture[/url]. It’s is blazing hot and the spots in the shade will be gone in no time.

And I’d also like to invite everybody to post pictures to [url=http://nowincolumbus.com]Now in Columbus[/url].

CheeseFoodie
    Participant

Just got back on the bike… not sure if I’m ever going to quit sweating, but the ribs were good and the beer was cold:)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘Columbus Festivals’ is closed to new topics and replies.