Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Jaywalkers

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Jaywalkers

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

CPD To Focus On Jaywalking Violations In Downtown Columbus
    Updated: May 05, 2014 5:49 AM EDT
    By: Alex Mazer, Multimedia Content Producer

Columbus police plan to crack down on jaywalking in downtown Columbus on Monday. Police officials say pedestrian safety is one part of our daily commute that is overlooked by both drivers and pedestrians. On Monday, Columbus police officers and a pedestrian safety task force will be working together to focus on the issue.

READ MORE: http://www.nbc4i.com/story/25427146/cpd-to-focus-on-jaywalking-violations-in-downtown-columbus

DouginCMH
    Participant

For some historical context, I recommend this wonderful 99% Invisible podcast:

http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/episode-76-the-modern-moloch/

DTown
    Participant

A 64% year over year decrease in incidents certainly screams for stepped up enforcement.

I have to wonder how much of this is due to decreased revenue caused by changes in downtown parking regulations (lifting rush hour restrictions on parking on 3rd & 4th) and driving alternatives such as Car2Go (with no meter costs and fewer tickets) or CBUS (fewer folks driving to lunch hour spots and parking a bit too long)?

Nah. It’s probably all about concern for our safety.

Achekov
    Participant

I saw the jaywalker checkpoints this morning. Was there some big increase in pedestrian accidents that I missed? I thought this kind of thing ended with the Lashutka administration. Full grown adults should be allowed to find their own way across the street for better or worse.

Posole
    Participant

Last week they had police dogs downtown walking around and walking through the buses that stopped. Maybe this is just some kind of spring preparedness exercise.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I feel so served and protected.

GeeDee
    Participant

I’ll remember this the next time the city puts a levy on the ballot for police.

If they’re putting this much effort into the societal scourge of jaywalking, it’s clear they don’t need any further money from me.

DTown
    Participant

This is clearly as big a problem as whatever it is they need those armored vehicles for.

Eugene_C
    Participant

If jaywalking is rampant enough it can begin to have a slowing effect on traffic and increase congestion. Even when you wait for a clear spot it can cause cars half a block a way to begin to slow. I don’t know if that has been measured in this case or not because no one has said why they’re doing this as far as I can tell. Speaking from personal experience, I didn’t see a lot of jaywalking, and I only occasionaly jaywalk myself, usually when I’m trying to catch a bus. Buses often arrive to parts of downtown a little early and then they wait near broad and High to get back on schedule.

HighLife
    Participant

I got excited when I read this headline but was quickly disappointed when I realized they were focusing only on downtown. They need to step up enforcement on the east side!!! I dodge people daily while driving down E. Main to and from work. What really gets me isn’t the fact that people are jaywalking; it’s the WAY they are doing it. It’s one thing to wait for a break in traffic (coming from both sides) and to quickly jog to the other side (not saying that should be legal or that it’s safe, but I understand why someone would do it). But what drives me nuts are all the people who wait until traffic approaching from the left is clear, then saunter out into the middle turn lane and stand around waiting for traffic from the right to clear. Do they not realize they are standing IN THE ROAD? Among vehicles weighing tons that are traveling at 35 mph? When I lived in Grandview I never saw anyone do this; now I see it daily on E. Main. And don’t even get me started on how upset I am when I see someone doing this with a child…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

If jaywalking is rampant enough it can begin to have a slowing effect on traffic and increase congestion.

If jaywalking is rampant enough, it often means that crosswalks are in short supply.

You see a lot of jaywalking on High Street through Downtown at the half-block marks. It’s because many of the bus stops let people off mid-block and the secondary streets have been blocked off, making every block essentially 2 blocks wide. If you’re making a cross-street transfer, and your bus is coming, do you go to the crosswalk to safely cross if it means missing your transfer? Or do you jaywalk? No good choices either way.

Anyway, our artificially two-block wide blocks makes it legally impossible to cross High at Hickory Street, Lafayette Street, Elm Street, Lynn Street, Capital Street, Walnut Street, Cherry Street, Noble Street, etc.

Some of that may be changing with bus stops though, as some of the newer ones are being moved closer to the end of the block rather than the middle.

Achekov
    Participant

Haven’t seen the jaywalking patrols in the last day or so. I wonder if it’s over or whether they moved someplace else?

wygand
    Participant

I realize this may not be popular on this thread, with people venting about their pedestrian frustrations, and how they wouldn’t feel bad hitting a jaywalker. But part of the problem here is the lack of respect pedestrians get even when in crosswalks. When trying to cross third street in german village, by the book loft, only about 1 in 5 cars will even come close to slowing down for someone in the crosswalk, let alone yield. Even better many will just swerve slightly to avoid you while continuing on their way. If crosswalks are not patrolled or respected by motorists, whats the point?

Has a ticket ever been given for a car failing to yield to a pedestrian in columbus?

The other classic pedestrian folly would be trusting a motorist to not murder you in at attempt to turn right on a red light downtown.

Just my 2 cents.

Ned23
    Participant

I realize this may not be popular on this thread, with people venting about their pedestrian frustrations, and how they wouldn’t feel bad hitting a jaywalker. But part of the problem here is the lack of respect pedestrians get even when in crosswalks. When trying to cross third street in german village, by the book loft, only about 1 in 5 cars will even come close to slowing down for someone in the crosswalk, let alone yield. Even better many will just swerve slightly to avoid you while continuing on their way. If crosswalks are not patrolled or respected by motorists, whats the point?

Has a ticket ever been given for a car failing to yield to a pedestrian in columbus?

The other classic pedestrian folly would be trusting a motorist to not murder you in at attempt to turn right on a red light downtown.

Just my 2 cents.

+1

GCrites80s
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eugene_C wrote:</div>
    If jaywalking is rampant enough it can begin to have a slowing effect on traffic and increase congestion.

If jaywalking is rampant enough, it often means that crosswalks are in short supply.

You see a lot of jaywalking on High Street through Downtown at the half-block marks. It’s because many of the bus stops let people off mid-block and the secondary streets have been blocked off, making every block essentially 2 blocks wide. If you’re making a cross-street transfer, and your bus is coming, do you go to the crosswalk to safely cross if it means missing your transfer? Or do you jaywalk? No good choices either way.

Anyway, our artificially two-block wide blocks makes it legally impossible to cross High at Hickory Street, Lafayette Street, Elm Street, Lynn Street, Capital Street, Walnut Street, Cherry Street, Noble Street, etc.

Some of that may be changing with bus stops though, as some of the newer ones are being moved closer to the end of the block rather than the middle.

Don’t we have really large blocks in our city as well? Many other cities seem like theirs are quite a bit smaller.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: