Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Jaywalkers

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Jaywalkers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • Author

misskitty
    Participant

So I got a question I guess I am looking for some reason behind Jaywalking. I realize that if there are no cars on the road not crossing at the light is not to hard to imagine. This morning my driver mirror brushed someone’s shirt on Long at 8:15am . that scared me what if I would have hit him ? This is what I am saying I don’t understand why people insist on Jay walking on Long st or any street for that matter during the 5pm traffic flow or the 8:30am . The light is 20-50 feet away and people just want to chance getting hit is what I make of it . I go to the light if the road has traffic why don’t people use there brains and do the same? Am I wrong ? I don’t want to seem like a jerk but this bothers me :roll:

gramarye
    Participant

It’s even worse around Campus, and at UVA, the equivalent of High St. was a two-lane road when it went through the busy social section of campus (the Corner), and people would waltz out in front of traffic like they were hunting for lawsuits or Darwin Awards.

turbo ninja
    Participant

If you aren’t in a crosswalk and you try to cross the street, you’re fair game.

If you are in a crosswalk, I’ll yield to you every time, even if the light is on my side.

If I am in a crosswalk and you do not yield, you’d better move through before I can get an arm’s or leg’s length from you because I’ll be aiming for something I can dent or scratch.

misskitty
    Participant

turbo ninja wrote If you aren’t in a crosswalk and you try to cross the street, you’re fair game.

If you are in a crosswalk, I’ll yield to you every time, even if the light is on my side.

If I am in a crosswalk and you do not yield, you’d better move through before I can get an arm’s or leg’s length from you because I’ll be aiming for something I can dent or scratch.

I think this is how it should be but i have actully heard some arguement from the jay walking side no lol it holds no water

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I think jay walkers in busy areas (campus) is anoying… but I do my best to not hit anyone no matter jay walking or not

swan
    Participant

i think people who choose to drive cars around on the biggest college campus in the nation are annoying. :wink:

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yesterday we spotted a cyclist yelling at a driver for blocking the crosswalk at a red light. I think the driver had pulled forward to turn right on red.

I wished I was closer when I saw it, because I would have yelled at them both for being in the wrong. Neither of them should have been in the crosswalk. ;)

Matthew
    Participant

I got flipped off by a male couple in the Short North for not allowing them to jaywalk in front of me when the light turned green.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

swan wrote i think people who choose to drive cars around on the biggest college campus in the nation are annoying. :wink:

are you advocating for no crosswalks on campus? Just have the roads open everywhere to cross?

Because taking the cars off campus is’t an option seeming that the biggest campus in the nation, needs also one of the biggest employee pool that have to drive to get to work. :wink:

Cyclist

I think its considered jaywalking if you are within 150 feet of a marked crossing. That might be the offical law on that.

Try dealing with people crossing the street while you are riding a bike. The incidents go up 10 fold.

I usually yield to all peds, but sometimes it is safer just to dodge folks. Since bikes are nearly silent… many people walk right into the street without looking because they don’t hear a car. Many other walk in front of you thinking that you are too slow to evver hit them. I use bell often and do high pitch wistles as safety warnings.

At the same time… I feel that streets are for any public use and everyone needs to slow down and just be more careful. Espicially if you have machine power on your side.

blammo
    Participant

Cyclist wrote Try dealing with people crossing the street while you are riding a bike. The incidents go up 10 fold.

It’s always a good feeling when people look around, see you…and just step out in front of you anyway.

laChewla
    Participant

Aka Park Street between 1:30 am and 2:30 am Thursday – Saturday.

It’s kind of like a neat video game with all the taxis and drunks and cops standing around. Pilot through chotch-land!

misskitty
    Participant

yea i try to be kind to all people but sometimes people make that hard i would feel like crap if i one day scatterd someones brains on the ground even if it was not my fault that is something to think about i guess most do jaywalk only feet away from lights . I try to be respectful of anything with wheels even bikes i dont want to casue a accadent. well time for me to go home now i will walk down long as people play frogger lol heck there is even a midget that does it . sad thing there is no one sees them pop out from between 2 parked cars

people like to risk life i guess

Cyclist

laChewla wrote Aka Park Street between 1:30 am and 2:30 am Thursday – Saturday.

It’s kind of like a neat video game with all the taxis and drunks and cops standing around. Pilot through chotch-land!

+3

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Cyclist wrote I usually yield to all peds, but sometimes it is safer just to dodge folks. Since bikes are nearly silent… many people walk right into the street without looking because they don’t hear a car.

I read that the silence of electric vehicles can be a potential problem for the blind. May also be a problem for idiots who jaywalk and don’t look before crossing a street…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: