Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Jack-FM 98.9 - Finally a REALLY different radio station hits town!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Jack-FM 98.9 – Finally a REALLY different radio station hits town!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author

TomP301

98.9 has changed to a new format called “Jack-FM Playing What We Want.” They have a snarky presentation with lots of the snark directed at the fact that they refuse to take requests and that they don’t have DJ’s.

But the music mix is what’s really unique. While most (but not all) of the music is popular songs you’ve heard before through the years and in various formats, they sure cover a wider territory than other Columbus stations. And the reception is good even in the Short North. :) While they play a fair amount of Classic Rock, they go out in a lot of different directions from there, from the 70’s all the way to current. It’s fun hearing Mellencamp, Dazz Band, vintage Stones, Cee Lo Green, Golden Earring, Black-Eyed Peas, Elton John, Information Society, Allmans, Peter Schilling, Dishwalla, Knack, Tom Petty, Adele, Boomtown Rats, Cars, Baltimora, Poison, U2, Lemonheads, Joan Jett, Wallflowers, Maroon 5, MC Hammer, Train, Boston and Kajagoogoo, etc. all mixed together.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

No more Jammin’ Oldies, Tom P?

TomP301

A couple, Chris. E.g., they played Love Rollercoaster by the Ohio Players. And I guess “Can’t Touch This” would count too. Those don’t appear to be a major part of the mix, but as occasional spice they’re great. Haven’t heard any Motown yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised to hear a little Marvin Gaye pop up.

TomP301

Also… The downside is that Magic (RnB & Classic Soul) was moved to the weak signal at 106.3. Maybe that’s what you were getting at. Sorry to see that happen — I kind of like that stuff — but for my own tastes Jack-FM is a better day-to-day fit.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

So to recap Magic 98 is now on 106.3, and I’m assuming the gospel station that was on 106.3 is off the air entirely.

BTW Tom –I’m assuming you’re employed by Jack FM. We don’t mind self-promotion around here, but we do prefer that people identify their connection with what they’re promoting rather than masquerading as a regular poster.

You might also want to make it clear that Jack FM is a national brand, and not a local independent –not that anyone actually assumes any new radio station is independent anymore.

TomP301

Chris, you assume wrong. I’m not employed by them, but there’s probably no way I can convince you of that (especially since I joined CU just to post this), so I won’t try. I have not seen any promotion for them anywhere (which seems rather stupid, IMO), so I am trying to help get the word out. I used to listen to Jack-FM when I lived in in LA and was really happy to see them show up here. They did have the same slogan and snarky voice, but the music here is NOT the same. If you don’t believe that just Google Jack-FM Los Angeles and Jack-FM Columbus and compare the streams.

Mercurius
    Participant

It still looks like mostly top 40s shit.

TomP301

Mercurius said:
    It still looks like mostly top 40s shit.

As I said, “while most (but not all) of the music is popular songs you’ve heard before through the years and in various formats, they sure cover a wider territory than other Columbus stations.” So that will naturally include lots of music that was on Top 40 at some point, especially before that format became all dance and hip-hop. Still though, much of it hasn’t been played around here for awhile, especially in this combination and on a station that you don’t need a 200-foot antenna to hear over-the-air in certain parts of town. Anyone who wants mostly new stuff, or stuff that’s really out of the mainstream (and always has been) will not be happy with this station.

Mercurius
    Participant

TomP301 said:
    As I said, “while most (but not all) of the music is popular songs you’ve heard before through the years and in various formats, they sure cover a wider territory than other Columbus stations.” So that will naturally include lots of music that was on Top 40 at some point, especially before that format became all dance and hip-hop. Still though, much of it hasn’t been played around here for awhile, especially in this combination and on a station that you don’t need a 200-foot antenna to hear over-the-air in certain parts of town. Anyone who wants mostly new stuff, or stuff that’s really out of the mainstream (and always has been) will not be happy with this station.

Meh, not for me. I’ll stick with Maggie Brennan, Nick Spitzer and David Dye. I wish Columbus had a better station. WCBE and CD101 (102.5) both kinda suck too. http://wtmd.org/radio/

cheap

haven’t listened to FM or AM radio since i was at the dentist

catnfiddle
    Participant

I’ll give it a listen the next time I remember to turn it on in my car, but I’m a total NPR geek.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Sometimes I like to pipe WRTI’s 24/7 jazz stream, or one of the many SOMA-FM streams through an FM transmitter so I can listen around the house and pretend Columbus still has a good radio station or a single jazz station (even a mediocre one like WJZA was). Judging from the playlist this ‘jack-fm’ thing just sounds like more of the sameold-sameold we have entirely enough of on the airwaves already.

TomP301

The fact that Radio One, which specializes in Urban radio and tv formats, would change to this kind of music mix makes me wonder if 98.9 is being sold? The Dispatch has been gobbling up stuff lately (e.g, Columbus Monthly and the Other Paper), so I wonder if they might finally be planning on expanding their broadcast holdings a little as well? This would once again give them a music station in Columbus — not that that’s necessarily a priority. Or maybe some other local owner? Or an outsider?

BTW, sorry for the misspelling in the topic heading.

Pete R Pan

I listened to Magic 98.9 quite a bit and was disapointed to see it move to such a weak signal. I personally think there are already enough Chad Bro Chill stations on the dial. Back to Pandora…

bjones7
    Participant

RIP JACK F.M. You will be missed!

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/112057/salem-launching-fm-talker-in-columbus-oh

I personally thought they were doing great. In fact they only hinted that they were going off the air. Why did Salem need to buy it from Radio One and make it a Answer station. There are way more frequencies that they could of used.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: