Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Jack & Benny's 24/7 Downtown Diner at Broad & High

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Jack & Benny's 24/7 Downtown Diner at Broad & High

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Jack & Benny’s Opening 24/7 Diner in Downtown Columbus
    September 27, 2015 11:58 am – Walker Evans

Popular north campus diner Jack & Benny’s is expanding once again. After opening the Barnstormer Diner at the OSU Airport in 2013, owners Geno and Hilda Garcia have announced plans to open a new location at 12 East Broad Street in the heart of Downtown Columbus.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/jack-and-bennys-downtown-diner

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Any idea when it is scheduled to open?

CB_downtowner
    Participant

This is great! Now can we please create a more focused effort to get more young people to the downtown core? Downtown badly needs 24/7 options but they need to have young residents nearby who will be out after hours. The downtown core, apart from Gay St, badly needs some late night vibrancy.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

^^Most “young people” can’t afford to live downtown.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I dunno… I’ve met plenty of young people who live Downtown. I think they have to have pretty good jobs to afford the rent, or live as a couple in a one-bedroom unit.

But yeah… more affordable options would be a good thing for sure.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

Exactly. That’s frustrating. The development in this area is awesome. But the luxury condos at some point need to be at least somewhat offset by affordable housing or even rentals downtown. Having a 24/7 place would be a late night magnet but it seriously limits it’s potential if the downtown core continues to focus on residents that, in my experience, are a lot less likely to be walking around after 10. It would be nice to surround this place with good nightlife options. Don’t get me wrong… I live downtown and like that it’s not Park Street, but it would be nice for the downtown core to not completely shut down after 8 pm.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

This is such great news! Timing late meals with the kitchen hours of bars in an around downtown lately has been tricky, this seems so ideal.

It’d be nice if the city would add a few more on-street parking spots on Broad but between the state office building and the bus stop there isn’t too much leftover real estate. Maybe a few meters could be added on Pearl Alley? I don’t see any problem walking, biking, or ubering here late-night but I know not everyone is comfortable with some of those options. There are a few more spots up and down High St. which will help.

ehill27
    Participant

Another reason to retain the #21 Night Owl service. ;) Hope COTA saves it.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Breathing life into the Statehouse area after 5 PM is terrific, and this will help accomplish that.

The hotel going into the Leveque will be a boon; more hotels and residences, and draws to this beautiful area of our city, will make more decisions like this one from Jack and Benny’s possible.

edg126
    edg126
    Participant

Any updates out there about when this will open?

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Many of them can afford an apartment off of Summit St. that’s less than 10 minutes away.

OSURob
    Participant

I walk by this location almost every weekday, and haven’t seen anyone in there in months. I hope they are still opening!

AaronB Marshall
    Participant

Just heard from Geno that they are waiting on the final inspections and will be opening…can’t wait to see it open!

Eugene_C
    Participant

Has anyone tried Jack & Benny’s Barnstormer’s out by OSU airport? Worth the trip.

fidlerre
    Participant

Has anyone tried Jack & Benny’s Barnstormer’s out by OSU airport? Worth the trip.

It’s fantastic. I think there’s a review someone did on this site – my family and I go about once every other weekend. The space is super small with seating for about 25 folks at most. We’re glad to have someone like this so close to our home…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE