Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

J. Gumbo's

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining J. Gumbo’s

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

elraptor

Any head to head thoughts of Da Levee vs J Gumbos? Living in the SN I eat the the former rather frequently, but had a J Gumbos tasting this wknd and thought it was VERY good.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I’ve eaten “voodoo chicken” twice in the last 4 days. It brings the goodness of the downtown spot, and is a great addition to campus eats IMO. But it weirds me out that I know there are two rooms below this place that no longer have stairs down to them from high st.

Bear
    Participant

elraptor wrote >>
    Any head to head thoughts of Da Levee vs J Gumbos? Living in the SN I eat the the former rather frequently, but had a J Gumbos tasting this wknd and thought it was VERY good.

Really need to throw Creole Kitchen into that comparison….

groundrules
    Participant

J Gumbo’s could go from tasty fast food offering to totally delicious if they tuned up their bread offering. That bland white stuff they serve just reeks of cafeteria.

woofman
    Participant

Da Levee vs J.Gumbos IMO Da Levee wins by a mile. I really want to like J. Gumbos and was super excited when the first location opened. I’ve since had several sub-par meals there and in Gahanna that came across as just extremely salty, flavor-lacking semi-Cajun fare. DaLevee on the other hand, I haven’t had a bad meal yet, and while you don’t always know what they’ll have from day to day, I’ve loved everything I’ve tried so far, tastes more like authentic creole food.
    I’m willing to give J.Gumbos another try, the food isn’t bad by any means, but it does have a one dimensional (salty), chain/fast food quality to it. While J.Gumbos definitely fills a void don’t get me wrong, bourbon chicken/gumbo of any sort is OK by me, but I’ll take Da Levee any day.

I still need to try Creole Kitchen and the new place in the brewery district that took over BW3’s old spot too :-)

artbomb112
    Participant

All I know is that the Bumblebee Stew is awesome at J.Gumbos. I sometimes wish the bread or chips were better… but then I remember I’m eating for $5 and I quit worrying about it. I would be willing to pay an extra dollar or two for better chips or bread.. but the stew has never been anything less than awesome.

JAL
    Participant

I saw today that the Gay Street J. Gumbos got their license to sell beer now and they are talking about beginning to stay open later and start doing Happy Hour.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Nice! :D

JAL
    Participant

I see that J Gumbos on Gay St is now open again for lunch on Saturdays. Must mean spring is here.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

New awnings & signage look great!

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

that looks really nice!
    would love to see a whole bunch of neon all over that sign, but it is still bright and pretty

j
    Participant

i think DaLevee all the way….although i do eat J gumbo’s much more frequently than i do DaLevee simply because my office is in gahanna however every time i eat there it reminds me more of cafeteria food than restaurant food. on the other hand, DaLevee serves an awesome flavorful dish every single time i go there.

on a side note, when craving cajun i would have to say that neither places are bad by any means, just DaLevee takes my vote in the debate between the two.

Twixlen
    Participant

That looks fantastic, huge kudos!!

And, I *heart* neon. Good neon. Not neon palm trees; that’s bad neon. And yes, I get to decide.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 93 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: