Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

J. Gumbo's

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining J. Gumbo’s

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 93 total)
  • Author

Andrew Hall

JGumbos wrote
    Regarding the carry out policy, let me clarify. We offer call ahead (carry out) service for orders of 10 items or more. Anyone can come in and get carryout. The reason we require 10 items or more for a call ahead pick up service is because we were receiving a lot of calls for carryout service for 1 item. When all of these customers show up, it could create a waiting line that is just as long as if a customer would have come in and ordered. We’ve worked to improve our speed and even with a line of 50 people long, it usually never takes more than 10 minutes to be in and out.

I am sorry that our small order (5ppl) inconveniences you. Don’t worry, it won’t happen again. Our business will go to the large number of other places that don’t mind the awful imposition.

A.

PS – “Large number” meaning every other restaurant in town we’ve dealt with in our arranging 4-5 lunches/wk for the past 9 yrs.

JGumbos
    Participant

Andrew,
    Please see the PM that I just sent to you. In no way was I suggesting that your order was an inconvenience or that you were an imposition. I understand that our policy, which we had to quickly make because of the business we had, didn’t meet your needs. Hopefully the message I sent to you rectifies the situation. In setting this original policy, we were trying to make call ahead ordering more convenient for our group orders and I realize that we inadvertently excluded some smallers groups, such as yours. We’ll continue to address these issues on an on-going basis and I hope we’ve worked something out that meets your needs. Thanks.

DavidF
    Participant

I haven’t eaten at J Gumbos yet, but based on the responses of the owner, I intend to as soon as possible. I may not agree with every aspect of a restaurant’s operation, but I always appreciate a place that takes my concerns, questions, complaints, seriously. Kudos for listening to your customers.

JGumbos
    Participant

David,
    Thanks. As someone who also enjoys dining out, I always appreciate a business that listens and attempts to respond to my feedback. I wanted to try to create a place that was driven by demand and the only way to do that is to listen to those who want your product. I admit, I don’t always get it right, but I’m willing try to improve any issues or deficiencies. Hope to see you soon.

~Chad

misskitty
    Participant

JGumbos wrote >>
    David,
    Thanks. As someone who also enjoys dining out, I always appreciate a business that listens and attempts to respond to my feedback. I wanted to try to create a place that was driven by demand and the only way to do that is to listen to those who want your product. I admit, I don’t always get it right, but I’m willing try to improve any issues or deficiencies. Hope to see you soon.
    ~Chad

Honestly you should need no more explanation you responses were the best I have ever seen come from an establishment. I have not been to J gumbo’s yet either.
    After reading your responses I will be very soon.

LeePaul

My wife is a native of New Orleans, I’m hoping Cajun food catches on here in Columbus and your restaurant does well. Best of luck!

Hey everyone give Cajun a try! Yummy!

patient_zero
    Participant

There is a nice article in outlook magazine about J. Gumbo’s co-owner Chad McCoury, his restaurant on it’s 1st year anniversary already:

McCoury is emphatic that running J. Gumbo’s is not only about making money. “We want to contribute to neighborhood growth downtown, and we think very intentionally about what other things we can do to give back to the community.”

I like his way of thinking. Congratulations on your first year!

You can read more about his thoughts and aspirations after 1 year of business in downtown Columbus here:

http://outlookcolumbus.com/2010/08/small-pond-j-gumbos-august-2010/

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Tried the Drunken Chicken there for the first time about a week ago and it was EXCELLENT! Really nice flavor and just the right amount of heat!
    I’ll be back, soon!

JGumbos
    Participant

@patient_zero: Thanks for sharing the info and link to the Outlook article, I’m glad that you enjoyed it. We’re excited to celebrate our first anniversary and hope for many, many more. As the article stated, we try to support as many charitable organizations as we can — giving back to the community that supports us is important to us. In addition, we support local artists. In fact, we just installed some great work from Mario Harper — definitely check it out. Last time we featured Mario, he sold 17 pieces. All artists get 100% of the sale of their work. As the article stated, we have plans to expand our patio and do some facade improvements. I’m pleased to inform CU folks that our expanded patio (along Pearl Alley) opened last week. We have a wrought iron fence on order (to match the front) and are in the process of collecting bids for new awnings for the front and side. We’re excited to grow with the neighborhood.

@Porky: I’m glad you enjoyed the drunken chicken. Thanks for the feedback.

If you’re ever in, I’m usually at the register or running around. Please ask for me and say hi.

Thanks all for your support!
    ~Chad McCoury

hivner1

I think I saw another J Gumbo’s opening up on campus above the old Used Kids just north of Pita Pit. Very welcomed and much needed! I will be heading down that way in a bit so I can confirm it then.

hivner1

I think I saw another J Gumbo’s opening up on campus above the old Used Kids just north of Pita Pit. Very welcomed and much needed! I will be heading down that way in a bit so I can confirm it then.

hivner1

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yes, that is correct. We were at Pita Pit over the weekend and spotted the signage. ;)

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    Yes, that is correct. We were at Pita Pit over the weekend and spotted the signage. ;)

any idea when?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I don’t think the sign had a date on it. Will look into it.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 93 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: