Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

J. Gumbo's

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining J. Gumbo’s

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 93 total)
  • Author

hivner1

Let’s instigate a creole battle between Johnny Oak’s, J Gumbo’s and Creole Kitchen! I’ll sacrificially gorge myself for this cause.

KSquared

chaptal wrote >>

Core_Models wrote >>
    whatever happened to Gloria, is that chef still around? That place was awesome awesome awesome for cajun.

Wasn’t the chef Harold Smith? I’m pretty sure he died a few years ago.

Yep – it was Harold’s Glory Cajun Cafe after it was Gloria (I think), and they moved to Bethel Rd, and it closed shortly after he died. Best dirty rice ever – he had a strong hand with the spice. Now it’s La Casita.

Andrew Hall

They told us on the phone today they won’t take carry-out orders for less than 10 people. WTF? That is a dumbass policy.

We ordered enough food that they didn’t seem mind even though we are not 10. Ooops, I think they read this. Guess they won’t take our order anymore and have lost biz.

Went over pretty well today with my staff.

A.

hivner1

If they are gonna act chain-ish, then they should have something available online that you can fax or email. F’real!

rivalbrand

ive attempted to eat here twice now both times at around 7pm on a weekday and they havnt been open…..whats the deal??

gk

rivalbrand wrote >>
    ive attempted to eat here twice now both times at around 7pm on a weekday and they havnt been open…..whats the deal??

Like most restaurants downtown, they are closed due to the lack of customers. I understand that the new cafe daniel which is to open on high and broad will only be open until 4 p.m. Keep in mind: this is downtown Columbus – not exactly a hotbed of activity at night.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

His concern is valid because they originally told us that they’d be open until 10PM here.

According to their website:

31 East Gay Street
    614-469-9900
    M-F: 11-3PM
    Sat: 11:30-3PM

I don’t believe they’ve gotten their beer license yet though, so perhaps the extended hours will come with that.

Despite gk’s rampant and unrelenting pessimism, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect extended hours out of a business on the Gay Street strip. You’ve got Tip Top, Due Amici, Mitchell’s and Latitude 41 all open later, and none of them seem to have problems with a lack of customers.

gk

Walker wrote >>
    His concern is valid because they originally told us that they’d be open until 10PM here.
    According to their website:
    31 East Gay Street
    614-469-9900
    M-F: 11-3PM
    Sat: 11:30-3PM
    I don’t believe they’ve gotten their beer license yet though, so perhaps the extended hours will come with that.
    Despite gk’s rampant and unrelenting pessimism, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect extended hours out of a business on the Gay Street strip. You’ve got Tip Top, Due Amici, Mitchell’s and Latitude 41 all open later, and none of them seem to have problems with a lack of customers.

All of them (Tip Top, Mitchell’s, etc.) have liquor licenses – a significant difference between them and J Gumbo. I can’t think of a restaurant downtown that stays open late that does not have a liquor license. Can you, Walker?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Walker wrote >>

rivalbrand

i just dont think it makes sense to advertise being open until 10pm originally and in reality closing doors at 3. granted i didnt check their website and failed to notice that they had changed their hours of operation….

i would be a fan if they had extended hours and authentic beers to go with the mix once they obtain the L-License

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I tried the place out for the first time today, and was pretty pleased. I tried the Jambalaya, and while it was a tad on the dry side, I didn’t think it was necessarily bad. Maybe not quite the same as Creole Kitchen (my current favorite spot for my cajun/creole fix) but it was great to be able to get in and out of J. Gumbo’s in 5 minutes flat. $5 for lunch is pretty nice as well.

I’d eat here again.

lisathewaitress
    Participant

rivalbrand wrote >>

i would be a fan if they had extended hours and authentic beers to go with the mix once they obtain the L-License

Are there still authentic beers? I know at least Dixie was destroyed in hurricane Katrina is I feel like maybe there’s another one which still hasn’t resumed production. It’s very sad.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    I tried the place out for the first time today, and was pretty pleased. I tried the Jambalaya, and while it was a tad on the dry side, I didn’t think it was necessarily bad. Maybe not quite the same as Creole Kitchen (my current favorite spot for my cajun/creole fix) but it was great to be able to get in and out of J. Gumbo’s in 5 minutes flat. $5 for lunch is pretty nice as well.
    I’d eat here again.

i thought the same thing, but jambalaya isnt a saucy dish, right? i’ll have to check it out again to get a good handle on my thoughts.

deraj1013
    Participant

lisathewaitress wrote >>

rivalbrand wrote >>

Are there still authentic beers? I know at least Dixie was destroyed in hurricane Katrina is I feel like maybe there’s another one which still hasn’t resumed production. It’s very sad.

Dixie is still under the process of rebuilding. It’s back in production, but with a far smaller distribution. Abita was mostly unaffected by the storm, and they are still in production and available in Ohio. Jazz Beer is still produced in New Orleans, but I don’t believe it is available anywhere outside the Gulf Coast. The same goes for NOLA Lager and Ale House and Heiner Brau. The Brew Pubs were open, but obviously they don’t ship anything. I’m unaware of other breweries in New Orleans. But maybe I’m missing something.

JGumbos
    Participant

Thanks all for the comments and feedback regarding J. Gumbo’s downtown location. Indeed, our hours have been cut back to lunch time hours. Although we originally had a desire to have dinner time hours, which we tried for a few weeks, we didn’t have the customers or sales that we needed to justify staying open late and we didn’t want this lack of sales/customers to hurt our long term operation. I’m sorry that we weren’t able to stay open as late as we would have liked. We moved into the area to help be a part of the growth of a vibrant neighborhood and as part of that commitment, we agreed to try a range of hours to see what best worked. We will continue to monitor the needs of the area and will adjust our hours and product offerings accordingly.

It was our intent to rely on a liquor license to help drive a dinner crowd, which seems to be important to the success of dinner sales in the area. As originally reported, we were pursuing a liquor license. Through the process of purchasing a private license, we were made of some liquor license rules that would have been difficult for us to comply. Mainly, with the license we were pursuing, we would have had to offer a full bar during all hours of operation, not just dinner. Because of our cafeteria-style set up, offering a full-service bar during lunch would not be possible or practical. It seems that the most practical solution is to obtain a beer (and maybe wine) license, but this will require some work and decision making on our end.

Regarding the carry out policy, let me clarify. We offer call ahead (carry out) service for orders of 10 items or more. Anyone can come in and get carryout. The reason we require 10 items or more for a call ahead pick up service is because we were receiving a lot of calls for carryout service for 1 item. When all of these customers show up, it could create a waiting line that is just as long as if a customer would have come in and ordered. We’ve worked to improve our speed and even with a line of 50 people long, it usually never takes more than 10 minutes to be in and out.

Regarding the food comments on CU: If you ever have something that you don’t like or the quality just sucks, let us know…we want to fix it for you. Not everyone likes our food and sometimes we make a bad batch — we completely understand that and even if you don’t come back, we want you to leave happy. Please let us know so we can give you something else, we can give your money back or we’ll give you a gift card for a future visit.

Jambalaya isn’t a saucy dish, but it shouldn’t be so dry that it’s not good. We make our jambalaya fresh everyday, we never re-heat it. Because the rice is slow cooked with the rest of the ingredients, it does have a short shelf life and it tends to dry out later in the day. However, we are usually sold out by then or if we’re not, we usually stop selling it for the day.

Again, thanks to everyone for posting what they like and don’t like about J. Gumbo’s. Feedback, like yours, is critical and important to us. As co-owner of J. Gumbo’s Columbus, which is locally and independently owned and operated, I’m at the store everyday. Don’t hesitate to stop by, say hi and let me know what you think.

Thanks,
    Chad
    Co-owner, J. Gumbo’s (Downtown Columbus)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 93 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: