Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

J. Gumbo's

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining J. Gumbo’s

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)
  • Author

gk

I went to J Gumbo for lunch today and ordered jambalaya. It was awful! The dish was completely dried out and made me wonder if I were eating leftovers from the week before. What a disappointment as our downtown really needs more places with good food.

Andrew Hall

gk wrote >>
    I went to J Gumbo for lunch today and ordered jambalaya. It was awful! The dish was completely dried out and made me wonder if I were eating leftovers from the week before. What a disappointment as our downtown really needs more places with good food.

That sucks. I hope it was an aberration as our staff was pretty happy with the lunch we got from there.

Did you say anything and give them a chance to correct the problem or offer you something else?

A.

lifeliberty
    Participant

i went earlier this week. I liked it much more than i thought I would, and in fact was craving it again 2 days later. I found it very flavorful. I got the drunken chicken and the crawfish etouffee. it is in a bowl over rice. changes I would make is next time I’ll order it without rice and get more bread. the etouffee could use more crawfish, but I really liked the flavor.

also it is only $5 for a bowl and you can get one or mix and match to try different flavors. You can’t eat anywhere downtown for $5 anymore(cept subway-blah)

JackieC
    Participant

One post, negative review, hopefully we see more of you in the future!

J. Gumbo’s is tasty!

patient_zero
    Participant

lifeliberty wrote >> I got the crawfish etouffee. it is in a bowl over rice. changes I would make is next time I’ll order it without rice and get more bread. the etouffee could use more crawfish, but I really liked the flavor.

Yes, great flavor. I’d love more crawfish, too. Luck of the scoop I think.

I was hoping really hoping for oyster and shrimp po’ boys, or even smaller versions as a po’ boy bite. The menu only has variations based on their entrees and bowls, like the drunken chicken po’ boy.

I wonder if there will be menu additions down the road.

Oh wait! How about a crawfish po’ boy? Please?

Boyd

I’ve always thought that a creole place should be judged by the quality of their gumbo. Can anyone comment on theirs?

Does it have any seafood in it? Many places skip on the shrimp in the gumbo and just do the chicken and andouille<–(spelling?).

I’ve been wanting to try this place for a while, just haven’t had the chance. I REALLY miss all the authentic creole flavors from when I lived in Texas.

parker624

Trying J. Gumbo’s for lunch today. I like spicy, but dislike seafood and sausage. Are there any good options for me?

Core_Models

whatever happened to Gloria, is that chef still around? That place was awesome awesome awesome for cajun.

hivner1

Mmmmmmmm, this thread has derailed my streak of pb&j’s for lunch. I’m off to Johnny Oak’s (much closer than J Gumbo’s for me) for lunch! Crawfish Etouffee Po Boy for me.

chaptal
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>
    whatever happened to Gloria, is that chef still around? That place was awesome awesome awesome for cajun.

Wasn’t the chef Harold Smith? I’m pretty sure he died a few years ago.

VicVillage Guy
    Participant

Is this place open during the evening hours for dinner or is it just a lunch spot?

lifeliberty
    Participant

menu says 11am-10pm Monday-Saturday 614.469.9900 I’d call before going though

Roland
    Participant

I tried J Gumbo’s last week. I tried the Bourbon Chicken. It was an average experience.

Each bite filled my mind with the thought, “I could be at Creole Kitchen right now.”

lifeliberty
    Participant

I don’t think anyone is saying this is Creole kitchen, but within walkable distance from the office during lunch, I’m happy to have this option.

gk

lifeliberty wrote >>
    I don’t think anyone is saying this is Creole kitchen, but within walkable distance from the office during lunch, I’m happy to have this option.

I think Orleans next to the Elevator was better than J Gumbo’s. I ate there all the time and loved it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: