Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

iTunes ate my playlists

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat iTunes ate my playlists

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

I hate iTunes. I am usually very good at using software; but this program always leaves me frustrated.

This is one of the only programs I use that does not have a useful backup feature. I use two hard drives for my primary desktop computer: one drive for the operating system and a separate drive for the data. I regularly swap operating system drives out for a drive with a fresh installation in order to keep the system running smoothly. Live would be wonderful if iTunes had a backup to hard drive feature…but it does not. I realize that this is partially because of a concern over pirating music. But for crying out loud, the music is not being copied.

swinzo1010
    Participant

Have you tried a 3rd party backup utility?

Basically after you follow these steps you just need to have a 3rd party utility that will back up your iTunes music folder to wherever you want it to go. That is the approach I use to back up my music on a external hard drive.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1751

However, I don’t think it is possible to save your playlists regardless of your approach.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

With everything on a drive, I would just be happy with being able to install iTunes on the new OS drive and have it recognize and adopt everything as is. Or let me back up the whole installation to an external drive. My entire music collection is less than 50 gig, I have plenty of room to store it on any of the 3 HDDs that I keep for backup purposes.

melikecheese
    Participant

How to back up and restore playlists??
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TA47831

groundrules
    Participant

melikecheese said:
    How to back up and restore playlists??
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TA47831

look, let’s not let the right answer subtract from the reality that iTunes is still a fat piece of shit :)

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

You will notice that the apple support site linked to above is not current.

ricospaz
    Participant

ITunes sucks.

groundrules
    Participant

hugh59 said:
    You will notice that the apple support site linked to above is not current.

One of the many reasons to detest the Apple universe. believe me, I’m not being snarky, I hate iTunes.

swinzo1010
    Participant

groundrules said:
    look, let’s not let the right answer subtract from the reality that iTunes is still a fat piece of shit :)

Haha touche sir

melikecheese
    Participant

eh, any mp3 player that plays mp3s is a-ok in my book…currently I am using Windows Media Player when music has to come from a compuder…zomg.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

For managing a library of close to 400 gigs that I’ve spent a few decades ripping and compiling, I love iTunes.

I think it does a great job if you spend the time to get your metadata and tagging correct.

The smart playlist feature alone makes it my favorite media player.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

melikecheese said:
    eh, any mp3 player that plays mp3s is a-ok in my book…currently I am using Windows Media Player when music has to come from a compuder…zomg.

Yeah, I use iTunes and have never had any issues. It plays music. I’m happy with that.

It also seamlessly synchs my songs and playlists between my laptop and my iPhone, so that’s pretty nice in my book.

Do other mp3 players make you sandwich and pour you a glass of wine or something? What am I missing out on?

groundrules
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:
    For managing a library of close to 400 gigs that I’ve spent a few decades ripping and compiling, I love iTunes.

i’d love to hear how you use iTunes to work really well with files stored anywhere besides the designated iTunes music folder on your main hard drive. iTunes ‘managing’ anything anywhere else seems to be a pain in the ass and involve extra steps and headache.

kit444
    Participant

Walker said:
    Yeah, I use iTunes and have never had any issues. It plays music. I’m happy with that.

It also seamlessly synchs my songs and playlists between my laptop and my iPhone, so that’s pretty nice in my book.

I really like the streaming over the home WiFi. I can plug my iPad into my stereo’s aux port and listen to anything in my collection on my external HD.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

The challenge for me is that sometimes I use my desktop and sometimes I use my notebook and sharing between the two machines is spotty at best. If I try to synchronize my iPod with the wrong machine it insists on deleting everything and reloading it all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: