Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

It's not medical rationing

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat It’s not medical rationing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 102 total)
  • Author

Tenzo
    Participant

dru said

@Tenzo want the best care available from a doctor with 30-40 years experience, fine, step up and pay for it out-of-pocket.

Ohhh, I wouldn’t want a doctor that has been out that long.
    Personally I looked for experiance, recomendation, med school, are they active in their practice, do they teach, age, sex and marital status. In that order.

My point was (and I’m not directing this at Dru) is you simply can’t absolve yourself of personal responsibility and ask the government to do the work for you.

Along with checking out the doctor, you may request or refuse any tests as long as the situation is not life threatening and you are considered in your right state of mind. ie competent to make decisions.

there has been nothing I’ve seen (though I surely could have missed something) in the health care legislation that would prevent a patient from getting exactly the coverage/procedures they wanted in consultation with their doctor if they wanted/could pay for it without government assistance.

1) A doctor will not perform a procedure he does not think is in the patients best interest, regardless of money.
    2) Starting in 2010 medical practices will be required to keep track of costs information and supplying it to the government. Regardless of insurance or source of payment.

Andrew Hall

Tenzo wrote
    2) Starting in 2010 medical practices will be required to keep track of costs information and supplying it to the government. Regardless of insurance or source of payment.

Documentation?

A.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

I think this is a serious problem because 23% of my doctor quit last year and I’ve already seen a significant downturn in quality of care.

gramarye
    Participant

You’d better tell him that you expect 23% off your co-pays, at the very least.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

My doctor doesn’t have anything to do with my co-pays, those are determined by my health care company and are non-negotiable parts of my contract.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

But actually I have really low co-pays already since my healthcare is government-managed. I have some theories about this but they’re boring; I’ll just leave you guys to your what-ifs and flow charts.

Roland
    Participant

columbusfoodie wrote >>
    Re: pre-existing conditions, what most people don’t understand is that as long as there is no more than a 60 day gap between insurance policies, you have creditable coverage that waives any pre-existing clause in the contract. However, since this is not common knowledge, and because there are not enough people who understand the system advocating for people who don’t, many people just accept that something isn’t covered because of a pre-existing condition while in reality (and under the terms of the contract) it should be. I’ve had no gaps, so I’m not too worried about pre-existing issues.

Underwriters know how to give you the run around to effectively delay you past this period. Even if you document everything they’ve told you, they can claim to not have the information in their records. They can say or claim anything they want. And those 60 days go by quickly when your getting the run around by a huge insurance company.

They must have gotten rid of their nice employees for one’s more willing to say, “fuck you!” in the slowest way possible.

Tenzo
    Participant

Roland wrote >>

columbusfoodie wrote >>
    Re: pre-existing conditions, what most people don’t understand is that as long as there is no more than a 60 day gap between insurance policies, you have creditable coverage that waives any pre-existing clause in the contract. However, since this is not common knowledge, and because there are not enough people who understand the system advocating for people who don’t, many people just accept that something isn’t covered because of a pre-existing condition while in reality (and under the terms of the contract) it should be. I’ve had no gaps, so I’m not too worried about pre-existing issues.

Underwriters know how to give you the run around to effectively delay you past this period. Even if you document everything they’ve told you, they can claim to not have the information in their records. They can say or claim anything they want. And those 60 days go by quickly when your getting the run around by a huge insurance company.
    They must have gotten rid of their nice employees for one’s more willing to say, “fuck you!” in the slowest way possible.

Im sure a health care insurance from the people who brought you the IRS will be much better.

dru
    Participant

@gramarye – of course i knew you’d be fine with it. that’s why I didn’t say 100% and make it a universal. i do however think there is a large percentage of the people complaining that wouldn’t be content if they had to deal with total costs (even if those costs deflated with the demise of subsidies). there’s way more threads to this than a lot of people want to deal with (and certainly more than I know of).

@tenzo – i confused your 3-7 years preference of experience with the 20-40 quote your were responding to. So that was my error and I’d fix it, but it’s already been quoted. as for your 2 points:
    1. I am referencing procedures that the doctor thinks might benefit the patient, not random elective surgery (thus the whole ‘consultation’ part).
    2. I concur with Andrew that a citation would be handy, as it is already 2010 and I don’t know of this requirement. Even if a citation shows this is mandated, it does not mean that going the route of the private market will be excluded for those who can pay for it. An argument could be made it is invasive of privacy, if the patient’s name or other identifying details were revealed, but as stated it does nothing to preclude the actual performance of the procedure.

Tenzo
    Participant

oh shoot. My bad
    I meant 2011.
    I was confused because the info is coming out now but it doesn’t start until Jan 1 2011.

Andrew Hall

Tenzo wrote >>
    oh shoot. My bad
    I meant 2011.
    I was confused because the info is coming out now but it doesn’t start until Jan 1 2011.

Again, document this requirement please.

A.

chaptal
    Participant

His dog ate the documentation.

Roland
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>

Roland wrote >>

columbusfoodie wrote >>

Im sure a health care insurance from the people who brought you the IRS will be much better.

It’s funny to me that you are trying to be funny with that comment. My experience with the IRS has always been straightforward and effective. And the services I required handled immediately!

Roland
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>

Roland wrote >>

columbusfoodie wrote >>

It’s funny to me that you are trying to be funny with that comment. My experience with the IRS has always been straightforward and effective. And the services I required handled immediately!

Roland
    Participant

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 102 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION