Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

it was nice while it lasted jeni's

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion it was nice while it lasted jeni's

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #493198

    deedee
    Member

    Whit’s has been located in Upper Arlington for at least the last year – if not 2 years… and no one seemed to pay any attention. Why is it that the Short North gets all of the PR?

    #493199
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

    deedee said:
    Whit’s has been located in Upper Arlington for at least the last year – if not 2 years… and no one seemed to pay any attention. Why is it that the Short North gets all of the PR?

    That Whit’s location was all they talked about on upperarlingtonunderground.com

    #493200

    Nikkiangel93
    Participant

    I took the topic title as a joke.

    Delaware has tons of ice cream places:
    Whit’s
    Ollies Artisan Ice Cream
    Dairy Point
    Dairy Depot
    Diary Queen
    UDF
    Rocky’s
    Coldstone

    All of them are relatively close to one another and have been in business for years. Jenni’s can stand a little competition.

    #493201
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    deedee said:
    Whit’s has been located in Upper Arlington for at least the last year – if not 2 years… and no one seemed to pay any attention. Why is it that the Short North gets all of the PR?

    1) We featured the Whit’s Upper Arlington location 2 years ago when it opened:

    Whit’s Frozen Custard Now Serving Upper Arlington

    2) This is not what “PR” is.

    #493202

    Twixlen
    Participant

    cbus11 said:
    Lol, I think I must be the last person on earth who still gets an occasional scoop from UDF.

    Naw… in that other ice cream thread that Cookie linked, many of us spoke of our love affairs with various flavors of UDF or DQ ice creams.

    #493203

    meltsintowonder
    Participant

    This was an interesting thread but created someone not in tune with basic economics. I simply sense the original poster has an issue with Jeni’s on some level? Some people can’t stand seeing other people find success.

    Jeni’s doesn’t compete with the other ice cream joints as much as a pizza place or similar products where there’s a correlation of quality and price point. If a couple or small family is going out for ice cream, I don’t think there’s much deciding between Jeni’s at $10-$20 versus the other ice cream spots for under half the price.

    Jeni’s has higher prices because it’s what people are willing to pay. I don’t think their business is intended to be affordable for everybody and the labor, ingredients and other costs dictate a higher price point. If they dropped their pricing by say 20%, more people could afford it on a regular basis, but then they’d have to make more ice cream. Not always doable when you’re limited on ingredient supplies and time and equipment to produce the ice cream. It wouldn’t be as splendid anymore. They’re not United Dairy Farmers. They’re one dairy farmer.

    #493204

    joev
    Participant

    cbus11 said:
    Lol, I think I must be the last person on earth who still gets an occasional scoop from UDF.

    Their peach ice cream is GREAT! I love Jeni’s, too. But I hope the flavors with cake mixed in are a trend that’s ending.

    #493205
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    meltsintowonder said:
    If a couple or small family is going out for ice cream, I don’t think there’s much deciding between Jeni’s at $10-$20 versus the other ice cream spots for under half the price.

    The Bexley Jeni’s is our regular spot for family ice cream outing night. If we were doing that every night of the week, we’d go broke, but this is really more of a once a month treat, so at that type of frequency, I don’t mind the splurge for something we all really enjoy.

    One trend I could never wrap my head around, and I think Coldstone may have been the most guilty of this, was the one of serving up an entire pint of ice cream in a waffle cone. I think that might have been their “medium” size. It might be a good bang for the buck if you’re measuring in terms of quantity, but that is way too much for a person to eat, especially after dinner. I like that Jeni’s has human-sized portions available, even if they’re pricier than other options.

    But anyway, I’m excited about Whit’s growing closer to home. We were fans of Ritter’s Frozen Custard but the local franchise owner closed up all of their central ohio locations. Boo!

    #493206

    joev
    Participant

    ^That’s because frozen custard is gross.

    #493207
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

    Congratulations to Whit’s on expanding to the Short North.

    Another local business growing, with a delicious product in tow.

    That’s only reason to celebrate.

    #493208
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    joev said:
    ^That’s because frozen custard is gross.

    Coming from someone who is boo hooing about delicious cake inside of delicious ice cream makes me wonder if you’ve got something wrong with your tastebuds. ;)

    #493209

    Rockmastermike
    Participant

    Can we all just agree that frozen dairy concoctions are good and just move on with life? Seriously, there’s plenty of business out there for everyone. I was recently at a graters at 10:30 pm and it was *packed* with people. Every time I go to jeni’s there’s a line out the door and sometimes its out the door and down the street.

    I’m sure they’ll all keep doing just fine because, lets just face it, products made with frozen milk and/or cream are awesome and people can’t get enough of ’em.

    Dammit now I want icecream.

    #493210

    hajames66
    Participant

    E

    Rockmastermike said:
    Can we all just agree that frozen dairy concoctions are good and just move on with life? Seriously, there’s plenty of business out there for everyone. I was recently at a graters at 10:30 pm and it was *packed* with people. Every time I go to jeni’s there’s a line out the door and sometimes its out the door and down the street.

    I’m sure they’ll all keep doing just fine because, lets just face it, products made with frozen milk and/or cream are awesome and people can’t get enough of ’em.

    Dammit now I want icecream.

    Everyone who had icecream (jenis, whits or otherwise) last night after reading this crave-inducing thread raise their hands.

    #493211

    Rockmastermike
    Participant

    hajames66 said:
    E

    Everyone who had icecream (jenis, whits or otherwise) last night after reading this crave-inducing thread raise their hands.

    didn’t get the chance yesterday. But I have an icecream date planned for tonight!

    #493212
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

    Rockmastermike said:
    didn’t get the chance yesterday. But I have an icecream date planned for tonight!

    I bought a grocery cart filled with fruits and vegetables and yogurt.

    and this:

    And yeah, I blame this thread.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: