Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Issue #4 - Franklin County Children Services Tax Levy

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Issue #4 – Franklin County Children Services Tax Levy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

This issue seems to have gotten the least amount of attention. Does anyone have an opinion on this one?

#4 Franklin County Children Services – Proposed Tax Levy – Replacement and Decrease

Purpose

Supplementing General Fund for support of Franklin County Children Services, and protecting abused and neglected children and providing services to abused and neglected children and their families

Rate

Replacement of 3.15 mills with a decrease of 0.05 mill to constitute a tax of 3.1 mills, $0.31 per $100 valuation, for 10 years, commencing in 2009

joev
    Participant

Would voting against this mean more money (previous rate) would go to Children Services?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m really not sure. Trying to dig up information this morning and not really finding a whole lot about this one. Hrm.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Here’s more info on the issue, but I’m really not seeing a direct answer to your question JoeV:

http://www.committee4children.com

I would assume that the previous levy is expiring, so a “no” vote would mean that no money would be allocated in this manner any more.

joev
    Participant

Thanks, Walker. I think at this time when so many families need extra help, this is a no brainer Yes vote in favor of the replacement levy.

deraj1013
    Participant

A few links from the Dispatch:

Dispatch article

Dispatch endorsement

County levy book

dyocco

League of Women Voters has a good explanation in their annual non-partisan voting guide:

“The levy being replaced this year currently collects $69 million in annual revenue for the agency. If passed, the 3.10 mill replace- ment-with-reduction levy will collect $93.5 million in annual revenue.”

I highly recommend their entire guide for Central Ohio candidates and issues, as well as the State issues:Voting Guide

deraj1013
    Participant

League of Women Voters is a useful resource, no matter your sex or gender.

the_gila
    Participant

Thanks so much for posting this, Walker. I hadn’t heard much about this at all, and probably would have been confused in the voting booth.

Tenzo
    Participant

joev wrote >>
    Thanks, Walker. I think at this time when so many families need extra help, this is a no brainer Yes vote in favor of the replacement levy.

Coughing up $475 a year means a little brain power.
    It’s too bad that you can’t vote on the increase. The way I’m reading this, it’s an all or nothing vote.

I’m certainly against nothing
    But I’m disappointed that I do not have a say on exactly wht the increase would be.

Tenzo
    Participant

When I went to the voting booth the wording was significantly different than what I had read on the Dispatch guide to voting.

Realizing that I may not understand what I was voting for I didn’t vote.

Maybe once the decision is made it will be explained in words that I can understand

catnfiddle
    Participant

I’m relieved this passed as easily as it did. I have students who are dependent on this program. To lose it would have been a problem.

Aunt Madge

Was this a replacement levy, or in additional to what they already collect? Or was this a replacement levy, plus a little extra??? I was under the impression that voting no would have meant $0 for them as one they have had out there was set to expire this year. So do I detect a little dishonesty here on their part??

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

It was a replacement levy. I don’t think there was any dishonesty going on here.

From here: http://www.thisweeknews.com/live/content/politics/LIVE_results/2009issues/11/franklin_county_childrens_services.html?type=rss&cat=&sid=104&title=Franklin+County+voters+overwhelmingly+approve+children+services+levy

The 3.1-mill levy will replace a 3.15-mill levy that expires this year and accounts for about a third of the county agency’s budget. According to information from Franklin County Children Services, the agency is funded mostly through two property taxes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!