Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Is there any place to get good matzo ball soup and latkes?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Is there any place to get good matzo ball soup and latkes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

catnfiddle
    Participant

Analogue Kid wrote >>
    Hanukkah, Shmanukkah. It isn’t even one of the high holidays.

Yes, but one of the High Holy Days doesn’t allow eating at all. We need to make up for it SOMEWHERE.

takeasiesta

catnfiddle wrote >>

Analogue Kid wrote >>
    Hanukkah, Shmanukkah. It isn’t even one of the high holidays.

Yes, but one of the High Holy Days doesn’t allow eating at all. We need to make up for it SOMEWHERE.

It’s a quote from The Hebrew Hammer when his mom is trying to guilt trip him into getting a real job.

ja

Just about any deli in NYC.

takeasiesta

ja wrote >>

I meant in this city. We are on a site called “Columbus Underground.”

DavidF
    Participant

takeasiesta wrote >>
    @lizless and DavidF I’ll definitely have to try out Block’s Bagels.
    I tried out Katzinger’s today. The matzos in the soup were good but it just tasted like they were floating in canned chicken broth. It felt like it was missing something spice wise. It was kind of bland. The latkes were spiced very well and were very thick and filling. They were on the greasy side since they were just fried and they were served with a choice of sour cream, apple sauce or both. All the food was served lukewarm so it kind of ruined it for me. It drove me a little crazy eating them since I had a metal butter knife that was very blunt and I couldn’t cut through them properly. The latkes are $2.50 each.
    Also you can get potato pancakes at Betty’s. They are awesome. I’ve gotten them many times. Hearty Potato Pancakes: Two grilled herbed potato pancakes smothered in melted cheese and topped with green onions, served with sour cream and salsa $5. Not traditional, but extremely delicious. Crisp and flavorful!

I love the potato pancakes at Betty’s. Yum. Now I really need to go to Betty’s

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

takeasiesta wrote >>

ja wrote >>

I meant in this city. We are on a site called “Columbus Underground.”

Remember, Ja probably has a jet fueled and waiting to take off to NYC and experience a real city where they get parking expenses.

patient_zero
    Participant

I was trying to find the thread – isn’t there a lady who makes and delivers soup here in Columbus? Like, really good soup? I bet she could make a killer matzo ball soup.

Now what was the name of her business?

catnfiddle
    Participant

I can make decent matzo ball soup. Should probably attempt latkes, but I’m not the best chef.

racheltb
    Participant

@patient_zero are you thinking of lucky ladle[/url]?

patient_zero
    Participant

racheltb wrote >>

Yeah, that’s her, Lucky Ladle! I don’t see matzo ball soup listed though. I figured that would be on her list.

@catnfiddle – I bet you make a tasty matzo ball soup. Maybe takeasiesta will PM you for a future pickup. I also think you’ll produce some tasty latkes if you give them a try. Rockmaster Mike could be your sampler.

takeasiesta

patient_zero wrote >>

racheltb wrote >>

Yeah, that’s her, Lucky Ladle! I don’t see matzo ball soup listed though. I figured that would be on her list.
    @catnfiddle – I bet you make a tasty matzo ball soup. Maybe takeasiesta will PM you for a future pickup. I also think you’ll produce some tasty latkes if you give them a try. Rockmaster Mike could be your sampler.

@lifeontwowheels – I unfortunately do not. I can afford New Jersey, not New York.

@patient_zero – Wow! Lucky Ladle looks amazing. So that’s how I’m going to get through winter. Has anyone tried it yet?

@catnfiddle – I’m all for free handouts. I’m a poor, full of debt college student who’s a foodie. Where’s my tiny violin? :)

patient_zero
    Participant

@takeasiesta – AmyD is a big fan of Lucky Ladle. This is the thread that was in the back of my head:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/i-want-soup-thursday

AmyArt21
    Participant

My mom makes the best chicken soup w/matzo balls. Ever.

She only makes it a few times a year, and usually if it’s not Passover or Rosh Hashanna, I have to be sick to earn a yummy bowl of it :)

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE