Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Is there any place to get good matzo ball soup and latkes?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Is there any place to get good matzo ball soup and latkes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

takeasiesta

Hi fellow foodies,

I grew up on the east side of Cleveland and celebrated all the Jewish holidays with my fellow non-Christian friends. I was wondering if anyone knows of some place to get some good matzo ball soup and latkes?

Thanks and Happy Hanukkah!

Update: Oh so obvious…. Katzinger’s Deli, duh.

DavidF
    Participant

takeasiesta wrote >>
    Hi fellow foodies,
    I grew up on the east side of Cleveland and celebrated all the Jewish holidays with my fellow non-Christian friends. I was wondering if anyone knows of some place to get some good matzo ball soup and latkes?

Lol, you updated your post just as I was typing Katzinger’s

takeasiesta

DavidF wrote >>

takeasiesta wrote >>
    Hi fellow foodies,

Sorry about that! I just watched The Hebrew Hammer on Hulu :)

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Block’s Bagels has matzo ball soup. Not sure about latkes.

jennyw
    Participant

Don’t tell my mom, but Katzinger’s has the best latkes I’ve ever had, hands-down. Mom still wins for cajun-style matzoh ball soup, though.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

I can’t ever remember if Sammy’s had latkes. I miss Sammy’s.

Core_Models

You can always get your latkes at White Castle…

http://www.jewishinstlouis.org/page.aspx?id=161548

tourist19
    Participant

Mmmmmm, latkes. My best friend in college was jewish, but couldn’t cook to save her life. I learned to make latkes for her because she would get soooo homesick at Hannukah. Now I want some latkes.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

takeasiesta wrote >>

DavidF wrote >>

takeasiesta wrote >>
    Hi fellow foodies,

Sorry about that! I just watched The Hebrew Hammer on Hulu :)
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/114700/the-hebrew-hammer

Hanukkah, Shmanukkah. It isn’t even one of the high holidays.

DavidF
    Participant

Blocks has latkes.

Blocks Odds and Ends

takeasiesta

@lizless and DavidF I’ll definitely have to try out Block’s Bagels.

I tried out Katzinger’s today. The matzos in the soup were good but it just tasted like they were floating in canned chicken broth. It felt like it was missing something spice wise. It was kind of bland. The latkes were spiced very well and were very thick and filling. They were on the greasy side since they were just fried and they were served with a choice of sour cream, apple sauce or both. All the food was served lukewarm so it kind of ruined it for me. It drove me a little crazy eating them since I had a metal butter knife that was very blunt and I couldn’t cut through them properly. The latkes are $2.50 each.

Also you can get potato pancakes at Betty’s. They are awesome. I’ve gotten them many times. Hearty Potato Pancakes: Two grilled herbed potato pancakes smothered in melted cheese and topped with green onions, served with sour cream and salsa $5. Not traditional, but extremely delicious. Crisp and flavorful!

takeasiesta

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

I forgot about Sammy’s and Hillel at OSU. What happened to that?

lisathewaitress
    Participant

i have to say that twice i’ve had matzo ball soup from katzingers and both times the matzo balls were hard.

the best matzo ball soup i’ve purchased and not been give game from barry’s at the north market. i always get it when i’m feeling fluish.

WildmanDan

I often get some from Barry’s New York Deli as well.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

takeasiesta wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

I forgot about Sammy’s and Hillel at OSU. What happened to that?

Sammy’s on E. Broad/James? They shut up the shop last I heard and are just doing delivery/catering.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE