Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Balboa — New restaurant in former Shoku space

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Balboa — New restaurant in former Shoku space

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author

RedStorm
    Participant

https://www.yelp.com/biz/balboa-columbus?sort_by=date_desc

Yelpers seem disappointed with the place so far. A lot of 1-2 star reviews recently.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Have not been, not planning to most likely. I cant make it to all the awesome places as it is. Sort of like the Knotty Pine brewpub, have not been, probably wont. Enough of my friends have given it two thumbs down. I have not talked to a Grandview resident that prefers it over Local Cantina or even Rancho honestly. It is a pretty hot spot at the moment for its target crowd tho.

Not really sure Grandview is a Margs at 1:30am kind of place. That said the patio is full most decent nights, but it was full early in Shoku’s career as well. One thing that will drive you off Grandview Ave is bad overpriced food. Cant swing a stick without hitting a nice place to eat in a 500yard radius. I think it is eating into the Winking Lizard crowd a bit. Press Grill opened as well. Grandview Cafe soon to open. Studio 35 Grandview(which I like) open now. Going to be a lot of competition for the drinking crowd.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I liked it. It’s annoying you can’t mix and match your tacos. But I’m always a sucker for a great patio.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yelpers seem disappointed with the place so far. A lot of 1-2 star reviews recently.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

I think it’s getting associated too closely with Park Street Cantina, and that’s usually not a good thing.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

I liked it. It’s annoying you can’t mix and match your tacos. But I’m always a sucker for a great patio.

my thoughts exactly. awesome patio, food is okay, can’t mix and match is stupid.

DLDude
    Participant

I kwow this is kind of a bad comparison.. but I remember when Taco Bell soft tacos broke the $1 I went “Jesus, how much am I willing to pay for a stupid Taco”. We’re sitting at close to $4 a taco for places like Balboa and Nada. I anxiously look forward to the $4 mark being broken by the next psuedo-fancy taco place.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Many of the taco places in town are fairly sucky.

El Camino, meh.
    Local Cantina, average at best.
    Condado, mmm cold AND soggy.
    Nada, nada value.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Juniors seems to have set up at the corner of 5th and NW Blvd.

On topic: also have not heard one positive review of the food at Balboa.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

I’m still a fan of Bakersfield tacos. Nada’s good but too pricey. It was like $12 for two tacos last time I went. I don’t know if that’s changed. I agree with Snarf’s opinion on the other places. I usually have to go to a taco truck to find the best tacos (and definitely not Junior’s, blah).

RedStorm
    Participant

The corner with Taco Bell and Chipotle?

Mike88
    Participant

Many of the taco places in town are fairly sucky.

El Camino, meh.<br>
    Local Cantina, average at best.<br>
    Condado, mmm cold AND soggy.<br>
    Nada, nada value.

Your Condado comment was on point when they first opened but I haven’t had a bad taco from their in a very long time. I’d suggest heading back and giving it another shot.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div>

LOL, yes, that’s the venerable 5XNW.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div>

yup across the street in the (what was) UDF parking lot.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: