Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Balboa — New restaurant in former Shoku space

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Balboa — New restaurant in former Shoku space

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author

OneBagTravel
    Participant

People will have to seek alternatives.

Like moving to the suburbs? :o

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Like moving to the suburbs? :o

Sure. There’s ample free surface parking at every strip mall, if that’s the number one desire in life.

Most rational people though will seek less extreme alternatives to go watch a movie though.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

It’s true on Grandview Ave:

buckeyecpa
    Participant

So the question is what is going to happen with parking?

When Studio 35 opens, plus Big Mamma, plus the two new places across the street in the old GC and Shoku? Studio 35 will have a 75 seat bar, patio, movie theater and has four parking spaces given to that building. The spots behind the Bank Block are Wagenbrenner property spots and none of them are for the theater. GC has no spots given it. You cannot street park around the corner. Shoku has about 6 spots in its front. Two to three hundred new people each weekend for ten parking spots. Wagenbrenner I have heard will post a guard behind the bank block to prevent theater parking. It will not be good parking wise.

This isn’t that hard. Those places were all used simultaneously previously and the parking wasn’t an issue at their peak. I think you’re over estimating the popularity with commuters. Yes you will have people driving to these establishments but I can’t imagine it chocking the parking any more than the current state.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

This isn’t that hard. Those places were all used simultaneously previously and the parking wasn’t an issue at their peak. I think you’re over estimating the popularity with commuters. Yes you will have people driving to these establishments but I can’t imagine it chocking the parking any more than the current state.

try parking anywhere within a 4 block radius of 3rd and grandview between the hours of 5:30-9 m-f. weekends are far worse. adding 4 more establishments in the vicinity is going to get nutty. i know because i live in the mess. we didn’t have a cameron mitchell steakhouse before, we didn’t have a prosperous movie theater moving in. we didn’t have two up and coming night spots going in next to each other (only GV Cafe). things are going to get worse before they get better lol.

there’s not much anyone can do about the popularity and night life of grandview. i’m currently trying to find a new place further down the street, off the radar of little short north.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I look forward to the day when my neighborhood is so bustling that I can complain about it.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

walker not everyone that buys a house has the dream that one day their neighborhood becomes a bar parking lot and they are unable to have guest due to lack of parking.
    Maybe just you. Judge away.

theadocj
    Participant

walker not everyone that buys a house has the dream that one day their neighborhood becomes a bar parking lot and they are unable to have guest due to lack of parking.

Yeah, some of us like to, gasp, drive to some of these new establishments. The horror!

theadocj
    Participant

i’m currently trying to find a new place further down the street, off the radar of little short north.

This is a lot of the problem. If people actually bought property instead of adding to the overinflation of the rental market in these areas they’d be happy about development and not afraid.

ricospaz
    Participant

I just plan on walking there. Luckily I live 5 blocks from Grandview Ave.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, some of us like to, gasp, drive to some of these new establishments. The horror!

And that’s totally fine. I drive to Grandview most of the time when I visit.

I just find it a bit odd if anyone expects free abundant parking in the heart of a popular inner-ring suburb/neighborhood like Grandview Heights. It’s sometimes a little tough to park in big cities. Not the end of the world.

RedStorm
    Participant

walker not everyone that buys a house has the dream that one day their neighborhood becomes a bar parking lot and they are unable to have guest due to lack of parking.<br>
    Maybe just you. Judge away.

Then don’t buy a house at the corner of 3rd/Grandview where…shocker…establishments have been for years. Plenty of houses / parking within walking distance of downtown Grandview. These aren’t new buildings or spaces.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

I would say that the area has gotten a lot busier in recent years. Demonstratably. I love how people attack someone who lives somewhere for expressing concern about the traffic flow of bar patrons around their house. It makes you look like a dick. Well it’s the previous posters neighborhood not the fetish urbanistas that want to dismiss an actual residents comments. And if your pissed that your neighborhood isn’t hip/busy enough get off your butt and get a better job to buy out the home owners that are exhausted with your drunk eating out every night taking up parking visiting carpetbagger noisy selfs.

RedStorm
    Participant

It makes you look like a dick.

And if your pissed that your neighborhood isn’t hip/busy enough get off your butt and get a better job to buy out the home owners that are exhausted with your drunk eating out every night taking up parking visiting carpetbagger noisy selfs.

All in the same paragraph. Well done.

rus
    rus
    Participant

fetish urbanistas

“OMG you should just walk everywhere!” = urban foot fetishist.

Frankly, the giant eagle lot is a godsend for the restaurants in the area. Valets have to put those cars someplace. Don’t see many who will drop $150 on dinner at the Avenue ( great place, btw ) taking COTA.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!