Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Is Columbus Ready for a Frequent Transit Grid?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Is Columbus Ready for a Frequent Transit Grid?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Is Columbus Ready for a Frequent Transit Grid?

August 31, 2012 by John

There’s a great post on Human Transit about how Portland, 30 years ago, radically changed the design of their bus network. It went from a system where most routes ran downtown infrequently to a network of frequent routes running in a grid pattern. This requires passengers to make more connections between routes, but improves connectivity to destinations outside of downtown. And it all happened before the first light rail line ever opened.

READ MORE: http://xingcolumbus.wordpress.com/2012/08/31/is-columbus-ready-for-a-frequent-transit-grid/

Rockmastermike
    Participant

This has been suggested by numerous people here for years now. *sigh*

peanutnozone
    Participant

I think it would benefit Columbus greatly. Imagine an east-side route up nelson/joyce…or a west-side route along riverside drive. One thing they do here is an “el” pattern…so you can go from SE to NW…as well as grid routes. That would be cool too, yeah? From like….Obetz to Dublin for example. I think there’re are a few that do that already, like the 2 and 11.. Probably not the best route, but you know. Routes that would by-pass downtown to go inner ring suburb to inner ring suburb, or simply suburb to suburb.

AlanBarber
    Participant

A proper criss-crossing bus route is desperately needed for columbus that better ties the city and burbs together.

Being that today is car free day I decided to test out some common routes I travel for work and weekends going out shopping etc. I live in the dublin/powell area so cota is useless for me. Anywhere I want to go like say tuttle, polaris or easton malls will take at minimum an hour and a half travel times because it requires you to travel all the way downtown to make a transfer.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION