Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

iPhone 6

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Rodgers
    Participant

Analogue Kid
    Participant

What are you talking about? iPhones are priced about the same as the flagship Android phones such as the Galaxy S5, HTC One M8, LG G3, etc. Show me where you can get a brand new S5 or G3 without a contract for $350. And they all start at $199.99 or less subsidized with contract. In fact, a quick check of Verizon and AT&T’s websites confirms that the 5s is the least expensive of the 4 at both carriers at the moment — and the iPhone 6 will start out around $200 at contract price, according to the article. Also, I am an Android user, so no bias here.

I’m not sure what the ratio is today, but more and more people are buying phones off contact which reveals the true price of the device. High end phones don’t actually cost only $200, you pay for it in the phone plan. I have T-Mobile, so when I was shopping earlier this year, I had a choice between a $350 Moto X or a $700 iPhone 5S. The iPhone looks cooler than any Android phone and has great graphics, but when it came down to it, I didn’t see a reason to pay twice as much for what is essentially the same thing. Not hating on anyone who makes a different decision, but that was an obvious choice for me.

News
    Participant

INVESTING 9/22/2014 @ 10:28AM 10,250 views
    iPhone 6 Breaks Record With 10 Million Sold, Even Without China

Apple AAPL +0.11% didn’t need the world’s largest smartphone market to break records this year. The latest iPhone models broke opening weekend sales records with over 10 million new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus sold since Friday. It was a blockbuster weekend for Apple, exceeding the 9 million iPhone 5 and 5S models sold in the same weekend last year. And Apple did it without China — where the phones likely won’t go on sale until early 2015.

READ MORE: http://www.forbes.com/sites/briansolomon/2014/09/22/iphone-6-breaks-record-with-10-million-sold-even-without-china/

Bear
    Participant

The Onion’s summary:

iPhone vs. Samsung

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

My wife’s new iPhone has as much storage as my MacBook Air. :(

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

There was still a line at Easton on saturday?

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Holy crap people are overpaying for these things…

Costing $200 to make, the iPhone 6 should offer big profits for Apple
    Judging from a teardown by researcher IHS, the manufacturing costs of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus should help Apple maintain its margins — among the highest in the smartphone market.
    by Ben Fox Rubin
    September 23, 2014 3:49 PM PDT
    CNET

It costs Apple about $200 to make an iPhone 6 smartphone with 16 gigabytes of storage, with the price of materials and manufacturing rising to roughly $216 for the larger iPhone 6 Plus, according to a new teardown of the devices from researcher IHS.

At those costs, Apple should be able to maintain its gross profit margins on its iPhones, which at about 70 percent are among the highest in the smartphone market and are a big part of what makes Apple such a profitable company. Those margins, though, have been sliding in the past few years as the cost of materials has eaten into the profits on each device.

According to the IHS review, the iPhone 6 costs Apple only about $5 more than last year’s iPhone 5S model. The 5S initially sold for $649 without a two-year contract, which is what the 6 is going for now. IHS’ teardown follows a similar appraisal from repair site iFixit last week, which uncovered a handful of the components companies, including NXP and Qualcomm, that are involved in the manufacture of the smartphone, which went on sale last week.

Read more: http://www.cnet.com/news/costing-200-to-make-the-iphone-6-should-offer-big-profits-for-apple/

theadocj
    Participant

It looks like Tim forgot to announce the most convenient feature of the new phones too…pocket flexibility!

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/24/iphone-6-plus-bend-pockets-complain

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: