Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

iPhone 6

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

iPhone 6: hands-on video and images confirm previous leaks
    Posted by: Emily Smith September 7, 2014

Apple’s iPhone 6 is set to be announced in two days on September 9 the mysterious event the company is organizing at the Flint Center. Even though everybody is waiting in line to see what the new iPhone will look like, we already know a fair deal about the flagship and announcing something truly new at the event would be surprising, to say the least.

READ MORE: http://www.loadthegame.com/2014/09/07/iphone-6-hands-video-images-confirm-previous-leaks/

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

News
    Participant

Meet Apple’s Super-Sized iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
    BY CHRISTINA BONNINGTON 09.09.14 | 1:49 PM

As foretold by the rumors, Apple announced two new larger iPhone models today: the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. Sized at 4.7-inches and 5.5-inches respectively, the phones sport a slick new style and landmark new features.

READ MORE: http://www.wired.com/2014/09/apple-iphone-6-announced/

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

the phone seems to have some nice features. I’m not 100% sold on the watch. I guess if you were in the market for a watch sure, but I don’t see it as a must have new technology yet.

time will tell.

M.O.
    Participant

Now more awkward in your pocket and with more pixels than you’ll ever be able to appreciate on a phone screen. I’d give props if it had a scratch-proof screen or a waterproof native case, but all I see here is Apple chasing the products that used to chase Apple. This is great news for the price of an iPhone 4/5, though.

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

Now more awkward in your pocket and with more pixels than you’ll ever be able to appreciate on a phone screen. I’d give props if it had a scratch-proof screen or a waterproof native case, but all I see here is Apple chasing the products that used to chase Apple. This is great news for the price of an iPhone 4/5, though.

Apple brings a lot of strength with them though. Google has had Wallet out for a few years, but Apple made it more secure and brought partners along with them to make sure it can be used out of the gate.

Apple doesn’t invent things. They just make them better.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

…but Apple made it more secure…

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*inhale*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    oh god i’m dying here

LOL

this from a company that doesn’t even understand login rate limiting

meh. android doesn’t even partition memory (apps can steal from other apps without user knowledge). neither platform is at all trustworthy for anything more sensitive than your facebook posts or cat pictures (and that’s only IF you strip the exif data to remove your GPS location from the pics).

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Sized at 4.7-inches and 5.5-inches respectively, the phones sport a slick new style and landmark new features.

Welcome to 2011, Apple!

These phones look very cool, but I’m not seeing anything revolutionary. Doesn’t matter though, I’m sure they’ll sell a billion or two, since it’s the Next Big Thing™.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

These phones look very cool, but I’m not seeing anything revolutionary. Doesn’t matter though, I’m sure they’ll sell a billion or two, since it’s the Next Big Thing™.

As someone who grew up on PCs and made the switch to Mac around 10 years ago, I often get asked what the big deal is. And here’s the truth: there isn’t one. There’s nothing revolutionary about the way most people operate either kind of computer. So no one should expect to have their minds blown by one killer app/feature/function.

What I like about Mac hardware and OSX software is a couple of hundred very small details that collectively add up to a significant amount of time saved and productivity gained. The hardware and software are so jam packed with shortcuts and features, and being that it’s all designed with a high priority placed on user experience, you get a better experience out of what you’re doing. Are any of those little things revolutionary? Not really. With the right hacks or third-party software you can probably cobble together similar functions on a PC. But if you don’t even know what those things even are (For example… I regularly find myself attempting multi-touch gestures when using someone’s PC laptop touchpad, only to realize it won’t work, and then explaining to the person what multi-touch gestures are when they ask what I’m doing), then you likely have little idea that you need to seek out solutions to implement them somehow.

I’d say the same could be said with most iPhone updates. Other than Siri, I don’t think anything has been too revolutionary with their announcements. I own and use an iPhone, but I’m slow to upgrade them. I don’t need the newest one. But the one that I have works pretty amazingly great with all of the little features and functions, so I’m pretty happy with it.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Sure I hear you Walker, but the iPhone isn’t competing against PCs these days, its competing against other mobile platforms. I think the problem is that Apple was incredibly innovative in the first decade of the 2000s, and now they just seem to be following the crowd. There’s nothing inherently wrong with that, and they’ve built up a decent subscriber base that’s locked into the platform via iTunes, but long term I don’t see Apple doing very well because phones and tablets have shifted to a commodity product now.

Charging $700 for an iPhone when you can get a comparable Android or Windows phone for half the price will only hold up so long. It remains to be seen if smart watches take off at all. I don’t have much trouble pulling my phone out of my pocket to get info or send a text. I’m not the only one left wondering where the beef is:

Markets drop as Apple’s products fail to impress
    Wednesday September 10, 2014

NEW YORK (AP) — Stocks fell yesterday as investors were left unimpressed by Apple’s latest batch of product announcements. Negative news out of Home Depot and McDonald’s also weighed on the market.

Apple shares fell 37 cents, to $97.99, after the company announced an updated version of its iPhone, a smartwatch and a payment system to compete with traditional debit and credit cards.

Investors saw Apple’s payment system as a direct competitor to eBay’s PayPal division. EBay closed down $1.50, or 3 percent, to $52.73.

So if you like your Apple products, great! But for me, I’m going to save some money and get something else.

robertfoshizzle
    Participant

Sure I hear you Walker, but the iPhone isn’t competing against PCs these days, its competing against other mobile platforms. I think the problem is that Apple was incredibly innovative in the first decade of the 2000s, and now they just seem to be following the crowd. There’s nothing inherently wrong with that, and they’ve built up a decent subscriber base that’s locked into the platform via iTunes, but long term I don’t see Apple doing very well because phones and tablets have shifted to a commodity product now.

Charging $700 for an iPhone when you can get a comparable Android or Windows phone for half the price will only hold up so long. It remains to be seen if smart watches take off at all. I don’t have much trouble pulling my phone out of my pocket to get info or send a text. I’m not the only one left wondering where the beef is:

<strong class=”d4pbbc-bold”>Markets drop as Apple’s products fail to impress<br>
    Wednesday September 10, 2014

NEW YORK (AP) — Stocks fell yesterday as investors were left unimpressed by Apple’s latest batch of product announcements. Negative news out of Home Depot and McDonald’s also weighed on the market.

Apple shares fell 37 cents, to $97.99, after the company announced an updated version of its iPhone, a smartwatch and a payment system to compete with traditional debit and credit cards.

Investors saw Apple’s payment system as a direct competitor to eBay’s PayPal division. EBay closed down $1.50, or 3 percent, to $52.73.

So if you like your Apple products, great! But for me, I’m going to save some money and get something else.

What are you talking about? iPhones are priced about the same as the flagship Android phones such as the Galaxy S5, HTC One M8, LG G3, etc. Show me where you can get a brand new S5 or G3 without a contract for $350. And they all start at $199.99 or less subsidized with contract. In fact, a quick check of Verizon and AT&T’s websites confirms that the 5s is the least expensive of the 4 at both carriers at the moment — and the iPhone 6 will start out around $200 at contract price, according to the article. Also, I am an Android user, so no bias here.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Sure I hear you Walker, but the iPhone isn’t competing against PCs these days, its competing against other mobile platforms.

I know. I was talking about the difference between a PC and Mac, and then saying it’s similar for iPhone versus Android-slash-everything-else.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Charging $700 for an iPhone when you can get a comparable Android or Windows phone for half the price will only hold up so long.

I just got a 16GB iPhone 5s for free a month ago because I was eligible for a free upgrade from Sprint.

The retail price of that model without contract is currently $549. But that doesn’t mean that everyone pays that amount. It’s $99 with a new contract.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Everyone’s always so butthurt about iPhones.

If it’s not for you, fine – move along now.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: