Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

iPhone 5

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #512802

    Snarf
    Participant

    futureman said:
    And on another note, yawn it’s faster and bigger. Where is the innovation? Apparently it died with Jobs. The new maps is just a big f u to google. And if I’m not mistaken you can’t download the entire country like Nokia on their Lumia series of phones. I have it and it is pretty fantastic.

    It’s like the iPhone 4S, but bigger and faster! with no new features … sigh. What is the A6 processor anyway? It’s unusual Apple didn’t use the same processor that is in the iPad3. All we know is that it is X many times faster than the previous generation. And that you can play fantastic games … if you can control it.

    What kind of innovation were you hoping for? I wasn’t expecting it to blow me.

    Thinner, lighter, faster, bigger screen, 4G are all plusses for me. I’m pre-ordering the black 32gb tomorrow. :)

    #512803

    Roland
    Participant

    I’m happy about the new connector. Too much pocket lint and junk was ending up in there. Well done.

    I would have liked to see dual speakers, kind of like the new Kindle Fire. Also would have liked wireless charging and NFC capabilities.

    Otherwise, it looks like a fine phone with many improvements. I don’t understand the cry for lack of innovation.

    #512804

    futureman
    Participant

    I was hoping something cutting edge like wireless charging and NFC for payment. Andriod has tried to get NFC for payment going, but it really needs the iPhone to get people using it for it to hit critical mass.

    LTE is a nice features and for those on AT&T Columbus is *finally* getting it this fall.

    #512805

    Snarf
    Participant

    I’d love a magnetic connector like on macbooks!

    #512806

    maveric1
    Participant

    [img]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tuaw.com/media/2012/09/0912newipodnano-1347474554.jpg[/img]

    Little off-topic but I’m more excited about the new iPod Nano.

    #512807

    futureman
    Participant

    Snarf said:
    I’d love a magnetic connector like on macbooks!

    That would be fantastic

    Walker said:
    I’ve not tried GTA3, but my experience has been that mobile devices are infinitely better for casual gaming than they are hardcore gaming. They’re also much better for native-made games rather than retrofitted ports with control schemes originally designed for different types of controllers.

    I think it sad state of affairs when gaming has been reduced to something like throwing a bird at structure instead of creating immersive environments with a story that pulls you in.

    3rd party cases for gaming isn’t the solution either. It must be built into the device in order for a developer to take advantage of it.

    #512808

    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    futureman said:
    I think it sad state of affairs when gaming has been reduced to something like throwing a bird at structure instead of creating immersive environments with a story that pulls you in.

    Casual gaming wasn’t invented in 2010.

    What sort of creative immersive environment and gripping story was behind Tetris that made it one of the greatest games of all time?

    #512809

    NerosNeptune
    Participant

    There are still plenty of games with immersive environments and stories. Sometimes you just want to throw birds at pigs. They’re just different kinds of games. Personally I always thought it was a sad state of affairs when I played something like a new Final Fantasy game and it was essentially a 50 hour movie.

    Speaking of which I saw Final Fantasy III has been ported to phones, most of the reviews said it translates very well.

    Does this new iPhone not include an NFC chip? I just started using google wallet and I like it. Anywhere there’s a paypass terminal you just turn your screen on and touch the back of your phone to the reader. Imagine if COTA were to enable people to use something like that? Buy a monthly pass right from your phone and just hold it up to a reader as you get on.

    #512810

    Snarf
    Participant

    NerosNeptune said:
    There are still plenty of games with immersive environments and stories. Sometimes you just want to throw birds at pigs. They’re just different kinds of games. Personally I always thought it was a sad state of affairs when I played something like a new Final Fantasy game and it was essentially a 50 hour movie.

    Speaking of which I saw Final Fantasy III has been ported to phones, most of the reviews said it translates very well.

    Does this new iPhone not include an NFC chip? I just started using google wallet and I like it. Anywhere there’s a paypass terminal you just turn your screen on and touch the back of your phone to the reader. Imagine if COTA were to enable people to use something like that? Buy a monthly pass right from your phone and just hold it up to a reader as you get on.

    Flashing around you new iphone as you got on a COTA bus sounds like an awesome idea.

    #512811

    ricospaz
    Participant

    futureman said:
    That would be fantastic

    I think it sad state of affairs when gaming has been reduced to something like throwing a bird at structure instead of creating immersive environments with a story that pulls you in.

    3rd party cases for gaming isn’t the solution either. It must be built into the device in order for a developer to take advantage of it.

    I can’t believe you think good gaming should be possible with a phone…

    #512812

    futureman
    Participant

    NerosNeptune said:

    Does this new iPhone not include an NFC chip?

    Nope.

    http://www.zdnet.com/a-fools-errand-iphone-5-skips-the-self-checkout-line-and-nfc-7000004188/

    #512813

    futureman
    Participant

    Walker said:
    Casual gaming wasn’t invented in 2010.

    Except the link you put up was *not* about casual gaming. Real Racing 3 is about as far away from casual gaming as you get.

    #512814

    NerosNeptune
    Participant

    Snarf said:
    Flashing around you new iphone as you got on a COTA bus sounds like an awesome idea.

    I don’t know.. I see a lot of people using their phones when I’ve been on the bus, and have used my own (admittedly not a cool iPhone but a lame android, not even a galaxy s3!) without feeling like someone was going to rob me for it.

    And anyway, iPhones don’t have NFC chips so it would be impossible to flash a new iPhone as you got on the bus.. at least not as a way of payment in this fantasy where COTA has that option.

    #512815

    vestanpance
    Participant

    Has anyone ever done a pre-order with a phone before? How does it work with signing a new contract and the likes?

    I’ve always just waited in line before.

    #512816

    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    futureman said:
    Except the link you put up was *not* about casual gaming. Real Racing 3 is about as far away from casual gaming as you get.

    I wasn’t talking about that. I was referring to your comment about gaming being reduced to Angry Birds as if casual gaming is a new concept. :P

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.