Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Invasive species on the menu

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Invasive species on the menu

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

surber17
    Participant

Saw this article on CNN

CNN Article

and wondered, are there species in Columbus that this method could be used for?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Yummy tasty delicious deer are invasive, yes?

rus
    rus
    Participant

Snarf said:
    Yummy tasty delicious deer are invasive, yes?

Mmmmm… bambiburgers.

Twixlen
    Participant

I wonder if there’s anywhere local that’s serving Asian carp? I know they were trying to rebrand it to “Silverfish” – but that name conjures up images of those terrible bugs. Yeek.

Purslane grows wild all around here. It’s one of my favorites.

Graybeak
    Participant

Canada Geese?

rus
    rus
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    Canada Geese?

Kitchen little was doing goose fat french fries…

Twixlen
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    Canada Geese?

Those bastards are protected!!! They really need to be released to some kind of deer-style hunting program. Of course, then we’d have people killing geese in the parking lot of Whole Foods… which, come to think of it, might teach something to some folks.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Kudzu is a plant I am considering planting at my little Licking county homestead. Seriously.

It is a legume, as healthy as spinach to eat, all parts are edible, a great animal fodder, creates a tremendous compost biomass from crappy soil, and now can be found already in Ohio in a few places. I have an old(60’s) Organic Gardening magazine that has an interesting article about how awesome it is.

Twixlen
    Participant

derm said:
    Kudzu is a plant I am considering planting at my little Licking county homestead. Seriously.

It is a legume, as healthy as spinach to eat, all parts are edible, a great animal fodder, creates a tremendous compost biomass from crappy soil, and now can be found already in Ohio in a few places. I have an old(60’s) Organic Gardening magazine that has an interesting article about how awesome it is.

Uh. I’d put that in a pot. On a stand. Where it could never touch ground. Or, plan on eating about 3′ a day of that sucker, because that’s about how much the kudzu in my yard in NC seemed to grow.

myliftkk
    Participant

derm said:

As someone who grew up w/ it in FL, you might want to reconsider.

awra2001

Twixlen said:
    I wonder if there’s anywhere local that’s serving Asian carp? I know they were trying to rebrand it to “Silverfish” – but that name conjures up images of those terrible bugs. Yeek.

I thought Asian Carp didn’t have too much culinary value because it was so bony. At least that’s what I’ve heard.

You know, considering that 95% of what we eat from a fast food joint is supremely processed, I’m sure no one would care they were getting Filet ‘O Silverfish

Unless it was that OTHER Silverfish. eww.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Twixlen said:
    Uh. I’d put that in a pot. On a stand. Where it could never touch ground. Or, plan on eating about 3′ a day of that sucker, because that’s about how much the kudzu in my yard in NC seemed to grow.

I don’t know if it would survive a cold winter in Ohio, but yeah… where my parents live in Alabama is overrun with the stuff.

Not an uncommon sight:

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

awra2001 said:
    I’m sure no one would care they were getting Filet ‘O Silverfish

Unless it was that OTHER Silverfish. eww.

We have chicken meat processed into drumettes, right? Why is there no mechanically-separated carp meat formed into little fish-shaped patties? Fried, of course, with corndog breading, and tartar sauce on the side.

thecandlelab
    Participant

Kudzu grows so fast that NASCAR was looking in to using it as an alternative fuel for their cars.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/columns/story?columnist=mcgee_ryan&id=3461697

Its incredible to drive through the south and see it literally blanketing both sides of the road.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Too Late! Bwu hu hu hu hu. (That was an evil cackle)

http://www.no-tillfarmer.com/pages/News—After-Plaguing-South,-Kudzu-Found-In-22-Ohio-Counties.php

Was only 16 counties in 2010. Not my doing I swear. I dont need to grow it, just get a fork and a bottle of ranch and stand still in Grandview for a spell.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION