Our City Online

Messageboard - Travel

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Interesting Graphic on Columbus & Indy Tourism

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Travel Interesting Graphic on Columbus & Indy Tourism

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author

JonMyers
    Participant

arenn, I couldn’t agree more.

Parks and green spaces probably need to follow density rather than trying to lead it. A large percentage of people in Columbus already have big back yards and plenty of green space. I’m failing to see how more parks and green space downtown add enough value to change people’s current behavior.

I doubt that downtown parks and green space will drive consistent traffic that translates into a vibrant downtown.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    I dunno Colonel, Cincinnati has some of the trappings of a big city like pro sports, but I find it to be pretty hick and otherwise small town in mentality in contrast with Columbus.
    I’d claw my eyes out if I had to live there.

I agree, sort of. I think that Cinci is far more conservative than Columbus, and I certainly react to this when I’m there.

That said I think Columbus is very “small town” in flavour, even (especially?) here in the central part of the city. I’ve been here for more than 10 years, and it seems that I can’t turn around without running into someone I know these days. I don’t think that this is necessarily a bad thing, but just a quality of the city.

If you like living in a “small town” where your neighbors may come from anywhere in the world, be straight or gay, conservative or liberal, and come from any number of backgrounds, then Columbus is for you. If any of the above bothers you, then perhaps it isn’t. I’ll admit that the “small town” thing gets on my nerves at times.

On the other hand if anyone wanted to bring something like the Cincinnati Museum or the CAC up to Columbus, that would be wonderful. I think the quality of the museums are really lacking in Columbus.

ehill27
    Participant

Lt. Sanders wrote >>
    I’m just giving you an honest opinion based upon personal experience. Get outside C-bus and you might find my opinion is not that far fetched.

I just feel that it is unfortunate for you to live in a place you don’t like.

PS- I’m born and raised in Metro NYC. I moved here for school and decided to stay because I very much like this city.

JonMyers
    Participant

I like Columbus, but I don’t love it. Everyone has different tastes of course.

I’ve been threatening to leave for a while. This year will be the year it happens.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    I like Columbus, but I don’t love it. Everyone has different tastes of course.
    I’ve been threatening to leave for a while. This year will be the year it happens.

Columbus would be a good place to live part of the year if I were so inclined. It’s cheap, it’s close to my family, and the food in summer here is wonderful.

agtw31

i’ve lived in huge cities,and very small cities.

i always thought of Columbus as the in between city.

not too big,not too small.

the problem with Columbus is some people think it should have a big city atmosphere,but only if they are making an income off of it.

that’s great for a few,but that doesn’t help the city as a whole one bit.

JonMyers
    Participant

Yeah, agtw31 – you can’t force it, it just has to happen.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Lt. Sanders wrote >>
    I’m just saying that Columbus has a lot of negative perception outside it’s borders that maybe it’s not aware of. A lot of people also have no perception of Columbus. People ask if it’s around Cinci or Cleveland, they know nothing about it.

In my anecdotal findings, it generally seems to be more of the latter. More people have no perception, rather than negative perceptions. Which I don’t think is necessarily a bad thing. I’ve read countless blog posts and other personal stories where someone came to Columbus with no preconceived notions, and left pleasantly surprised with what they found.

Personally, I like this city a lot, but I’m fully aware that it’s not for everyone. No city or state or neighborhood is a perfect “one size fits all” area. Everyone should try to find a place where they are happy. At the same time I don’t really see a good reason to go out of your way to crap on what someone else likes. To each their own.

JonMyers
    Participant

Walker, my visiting friends who have had little or no expectations of Columbus always leave with a really positive impression of our city. This city shows very well.

alove
    alove
    Participant

‘Bout the green-space: I think everyone would agree urban development is the main focus right now, but that doesn’t mean we should ignore greening up c-bus a little bit.

I’ve always seen downtown Columbus as a blank slate, well not entirely blank of course. It would be nice to continue with our downtown’s parks to give visitors a better perception of how plentiful central Ohio’s green-space is, while focusing on adding buildings too. For the amount of parking lots, the square footage of our downtown green-space is ridiculous. And what’s with the “park” near the Hyatt Regency?

So I understand many of you are excited about seeing those parking lots converted into buildings and parking garages, but do you really think we’re going to transform ALL of the parking lots downtown? I know you don’t. So my point is add buildings and density where they are needed. All the parking lots surrounding the capitol building should be the first to go for new construction… leaving other parking lots, say bordering a dense block, serving as more parkland. This would help to conserve our rain run-off naturally and would beautify our downtown the easiest and prettiest way possible.

Ignoring parks downtown is ignoring the interests of (future) residents downtown, among other things.
    I mean, doesn’t Ohio culture have a lot to do with easy access to nature?

cc

alove wrote

Please define ‘Ohio culture’, I think it depends greatly on where you live in Ohio. I would much rather have easy access to a large metro park than sit on a bench in a sidewalk encased, noise polluted urban micropark.

alove
    alove
    Participant

cc wrote >>

alove wrote

Please define ‘Ohio culture’, I think it depends greatly on where you live in Ohio. I would much rather have easy access to a large metro park than sit on a bench in a sidewalk encased, noise polluted urban micropark.

Enjoy wasting gasoline!

agtw31

alove wrote >>
    Enjoy wasting gasoline!

it sure sucks that the Grand Canyon isn’t in Grandview,huh?

cc

alove wrote >>

cc wrote >>

alove wrote

Enjoy wasting gasoline!

I will take a street car or interurban…

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

The forum ‘Travel’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: